• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

SeamUp

International Coach
As bad as England were in the 1990s they could at least count on winning Test series in New Zealand.

The only Test country now where England have won their last away series against is South Africa; would put long odds on them winning in SA the next time they tour there under this regime.

Will Bayliss survive as Test coach? He'd be very lucky to do so.
How much longer until a massive introspection is done ?

This is England's worst run in tests away from home without a win in their history.

They've changed selection process but it's time to change the coach and team selections too. Would be bold starting their summer. No point dragging it out.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
And now England

Cook - 1 - just looks horrible, it's hard to believe this is the same guy that dominated world cricket between 2009 and 2013.
Stoneman - 6 gutsy stuff, but his short ball worries will continue to follow him, and his failure to make a score despite multiple let-offs at Chch will have the English selectors looking for possible replacements.
Root - 6 Got a couple of beauties from Boult at Eden Park, but his failure to capitalise on good batting conditions in chch really hurt his sides chances.
Malan - 4 Just never really got going against Soult, and throwing away his one chance to cash in by chipping a CdG leg-stump half volley to midwicket sorta summed up his series.
Stoakes 6 Huge effort at Auckland before Wags wore him down, and his 30 in the first innings was pretty essential to hauling England up off the mat. Still looks rusty overall.
Bairstow 8 - Overall a pretty immaculate series with the gloves and a game-changing innings at Chch that should've really been a matchwinner.
Broad 9 - England's best player. A magnificent series with the ball, his opening burst at Christchurch again should've been enough to get England the W. His batting is awful though, no way in hell he should be batting at 8.
Anderson 8 - Jimmy was good not great. Bowled a couple of pearlers but was generally short of the length required. You do wonder how much longer he can go on.

Overton - 3 Toothless with the ball and his hacky slogging ruined the potential for 23 a.o.
Woakes - 4 Gutsy 50, but without the Duke's ball to keep him in the contest he looked short of standard.
Ali - 1 Urgh.
Vince 5 - I've heard a lot about Vince's transient beauty. It truly was a sight to briefly behold.
Wood 4 - Vital innings, but again he wasn't there for his batting. His bowling completely let NZ off the hook on day 2.
Leach - 4 I'm getting tired, so I'll round this off with a hearty 'Meh'

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pedantic point, but given all that has happened in the last week, it's interesting that Wagner's review to waste time was considered good awareness by the commentators and not cheating.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England played much better in this Test, although NZ fully deserved the draw. A third Test would have been fascinating.

Does Moeen come back in place of Leach in the summer? I'd expect them to beat Pakistan and India as usual.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hard to believe Bayliss (and same would've applied to Root, Bairstow, Woakes, Moeen etc if they'd played the T20s) hasn't been in England for five and a half months.

Zinzan

Pedantic point, but given all that has happened in the last week, it's interesting that Wagner's review to waste time was considered good awareness by the commentators and not cheating.
Good gamesmanship for me, & completely within the rules. I put it in the same sort of category of sportsmanship as a batsman not walking after nicking one. As far as I'm aware there's no rule against using a DRS review when you're actually out.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Hahahaha, it's a long bow calling that cheating.

Actually wonder if he realised he'd been caught, I certainly didn't.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, not too bothered about that. It's a little dubious, I guess but you see cricketers doing little things to steal a minute or two all the time in the last overs before session-breaks and stumps. No different to retying your shoe-laces or ordering a change of gloves. I also really doubt it would've had any influence on the result. Even if England had gotten a wicket the next ball, there's no way they would've had the time to get through the last one.

A lot more questionable was the obvious go-slow by NZ during the first session on day 4. That definitely cost England 4 or 5 overs in the afternoon, and I think Kane will be lucky if he gets away without a sanction for it.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Thank you Sodhi and Wagner, what a finish. Always great to have a series win over England, there's been some truly memorable battles between these 2 sides in the ladt 2 decades. England came back strongly in the second test but are looking a little ragged as a test side at the moment - I guess Cook ans Anderson getting old and Stokes feeling his way back into tests are mitigating factors. It's also a battle finding your best XI with so many debutants over the last year or two.

I'm glad NZ won this series playing relatively attritional cricket, compared with the kind we saw under BMac in England three years ago. Consistency still an issue for most of the lineup, but given the utter lack of test cricket, we should be pretty happy with what we've got.

One more thing (especially as there's a Pakistan series later this year) KW really needs to show more faith in his spinners.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd encourage anyone on my team to do it but it's just funny that there's certain rule bending which is considered cleaver and others which is considered outrageous.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: I'd block you on twitter too if you suggested that to me on that medium. There is not one single part of that anywhere near cheating. I also believe Wagner reviewed because he knew he wasn't lbw, and that's what he was given out for. I watched the replay and I don't recall him having any knowledge that Vince had caught it.

Zinzan

I'd encourage anyone on my team to do it but it's just funny that there's certain rule bending which is considered cleaver and others which is considered outrageous.
No different to a batsman finding a spot in the pitch to garden for 20 seconds hoping it will be the last over of the day, & again this instance in question didn't bend the rules.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, very gutsy by our lower order guys - that result goes a long way to shaping at least my opinion that it has been a pretty successful summer.

I'm absolutely stoked for Ish too, for all the talk that Astle got picked because he was a better batsman Ish came out and was fiercely determined to show that shouldn't necessarily be a consideration in the future...and that he has the right stuff to contribute to NZ Test success. I heard some plonker on Radio Sport today (Galloway...Garth? McCullum's lawyer?) suggest Ish's temperament isn't up to Test cricket and (this was this morning) that Garth couldn't see a way back into the side with the way he bowled. Jog on Garth.