• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As awful as that first over was, I liked the joyous scenes amongst the Barmy Army. Poor buggers, they deserve something to finally have jump around cheer about in this Aus/NZ tour.

Meridio

International Regular
I don't have a lot of faith in Latham's ability to bat out a day here - too prone to flirty drives outside off stump - so a huge amount is riding on Taylor, and Nicholls/Watling when they come in. The trend of this game (and all in NZ in the last forever) has been for there to be next to zilch movement once the ball is >25 overs old, but those two wickets will have given England a massive lift and sent the wobbles into the NZ batting lineup - they can now attack as they please without any worry (small as that was to start with) of everything flattening out and us bashing it around in the afternoon.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
if we're going to get out of this alive I don't think it'll be by everyone dead-batting - we need either taylor or cdg to play a counterpunch innings to put some vague concern about runs into roots mind. easier said than done of course.

Meridio

International Regular
As awful as that first over was, I liked the joyous scenes amongst the Barmy Army. Poor buggers, they deserve something to finally have jump around cheer about in this Aus/NZ tour.
As nice as that is for them, I'd rather it wasn't at our expense...

Plus I've been enjoying it over here being up in this series, it's going to be unbearable if we don't come through.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should've been a four-five test series. Two reasonably equal sides.
Yeah some of our most enjoyable series in recent times have been against New Zealand. This winter would have been so much more fun with a 3 Test series ashes and a 3 Test series here.

vandem

International 12th Man
if we're going to get out of this alive I don't think it'll be by everyone dead-batting - we need either taylor or cdg to play a counterpunch innings to put some vague concern about runs into roots mind. easier said than done of course.
Don't think runs will be a concern, unlike Auckland.

Current 318 runs behind, 92 overs max (and probably less due to light), so NZ need min 3.5 rpo to get close. Will need some donkey drop bowling, or England using 5 slips all day, or de Grandhomme smashing a quick 80 to get a run rate that high.

IIRC in Auckland England were 237 behind starting day 5, so needed 2.7 rpo to get ahead. Much more realistic, which led to Kane using de Grandhomme for a long mid innings spell to keep the run rate down.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yeah some of our most enjoyable series in recent times have been against New Zealand. This winter would have been so much more fun with a 3 Test series ashes and a 3 Test series here.
3 match series yes. The post you were replying ot about a 4 match series, not really.

I don't think NZ cricket team are mentally strong enough to make a 4 match series interesting. Sad to say. Well, it would be a tough few years anyway until they got conditioned.
I can't imagine how we would go in a 5 match series touring Australia.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
3 match series yes. The post you were replying ot about a 4 match series, not really.

I don't think NZ cricket team are mentally strong enough to make a 4 match series interesting. Sad to say. Well, it would be a tough few years anyway until they got conditioned.
I can't imagine how we would go in a 5 match series touring Australia.
I'm not sure how many four-test series we've had in our history - England 1999 is the only one I can think of, and we won that.

S.Kennedy

You wouldn't even need to cut the ashes. Just get rid of all the one-day rubbish and you'll easily free up enough time for two more tests.

Immenso

I'm not sure how many four-test series we've had in our history - England 1999 is the only one I can think of, and we won that.
We've had 3 in my 35 years watching the game. All away tours.

England 83, West Indies 84/85 (brave), England 1999. Lost 1-3, Lost 0-2, won 2-1.

Might have had a few in the 'olden days' when travelling by boat etc. E.g 1949 tour to England was 4 tests (3 day tests, though).

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
wft Ross. A fielder has literally just been placed there.

We have been utterly terrible this morning. Not switched on at all.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, such a shame the myopic bunch at NZC didn't see fit to make this series three tests.

Should be a gripping day today... if NZ make a good go at saving the match.
.. which doesn't seem on the cards now Taylor is out too.

S.Kennedy

New Zealand actually played a lot of five-test series 1953 - 1962 (v SA twice, India, England). There was a further five-test series 1971-2 (in WI) which ended in five draws! That was New Zealander's last five-tester.

Oh, Taylor's gone. England are 90% there then with Williamson and Taylor both out.