• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
what **** bresnan? both were going down clearly!!! hit outside leg stump even

shastri has jinxed dhoni here. 3rd mistake in space of 5 or so mins.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What about Kohli? Hyped as the next superstar, yet averaging in the mid-thirties after a pretty representative number of Tests. How can anyone seriously argue he's worth a place in the side above some of the other young guns who have yet to be given an opportunity because of Tendulkar and co. hanging on too long if he doesn't do anything in this match? I haven't seen anything at this, the ultimate level of the game, in which the entire skill set and mental approach are tested to the utmost, to suggest he's anything special.
Lol, yeah Kohli is definitely at fault.

I mean he was absolutely awful in that 4-0 loss to England, where he didn't play a test. :sleep:

Also awful in the 4-0 loss to Australia where he was India's best batsman.

He has had an awful England series, but you persist with youth. You don't drop them after 12 months, especially when they have 2 centuries to their name in that year.

Cop it CWB304.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni has played an excellent innings here, no doubt.

I still don't think he's good enough for Test cricket though. It's a pretty **** time for me to have a point that out, but if you blokes are going to keep taste baiting me then I've got no choice.
sorry, i was just kidding :(

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So if the ball is reversing a touch why is Bresnan bowling and not Anderson? Jimmy must be injured as he has hardly bowled at all today.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You can call this a pressure situation, but really all it's saying about his other recent innings is that he just CBF.

He's been so poor over the past year. We all know he's a big game player as we've seen in the world cup, and he is an excellent leader when he wants to be, but saving a match or even potentially tying the series is not enough.

He should have done this in games 2 or 3. Or any time in which they were being drubbed 4-0.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
sorry, i was just kidding :(
If I said he was going to fail in this game then I'd be tasting it. To be fair I made a couple of posts about how he should be batting below Ashwin so I guess that's a tasting. If anything though I think this wicket should really suit him, and it has. What I said keep saying is that he's not a good enough keeper/batsman to play for India in Tests and that I think his Test batting average vastly inflates his ability; I still think that's true so I'm not going to taste that.

Enough of that though. I've only just started watching today but it seems like an awesome partnership between Kohli and Dhoni. Full credit to both of them, whether the latter should be playing or not.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You can call this a pressure situation, but really all it's saying about his other recent innings is that he just CBF.

He's been so poor over the past year. We all know he's a big game player as we've seen in the world cup, and he is an excellent leader when he wants to be, but saving a match or even potentially tying the series is not enough.

He should have done this in games 2 or 3. Or any time in which they were being drubbed 4-0.
Yeah exactly!

He's played a good innings here. It doesn't take away from his **** performances in the past.

Ravi Shastri is a dickhead to be suggesting anyone who said he didn't warrant a place in the side is crazy. ****ing want to smack him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If I said he was going to fail in this game then I'd be tasting it. To be fair I made a couple of posts about how he should be batting below Ashwin so I guess that's a tasting. If anything though I think this wicket should really suit him, and it has. What I said keep saying is that he's not a good enough keeper/batsman to play for India in Tests and that I think his Test batting average vastly inflates his ability; I still think that's true so I'm not going to taste that.

Enough of that though. I've only just started watching today but it seems like an awesome partnership between Kohli and Dhoni. Full credit to both of them, whether the latter should be playing or not.
Just on the batting order, Dhoni, as captain, coming in ahead of a debutant late in the day with England turning it on was a pretty good move. The problem was whether Dhoni had the technique to survive the way Jimmy was bowling. He managed to.

I can see why people were like "bat the bloke with two 300s this year" ahead of Dhoni, but you can also see why Dhoni batting ahead of him was sensible.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just on the batting order, Dhoni, as captain, coming in ahead of a debutant late in the day with England turning it on was a pretty good move. The problem was whether Dhoni had the technique to survive the way Jimmy was bowling. He managed to.

I can see why people were like "bat the bloke with two 300s this year" ahead of Dhoni, but you can also see why Dhoni batting ahead of him was sensible.
Yeah I didn't have a huge problem with Dhoni coming in when he did given the situation, even though I think I made a joke about nosebleeds at the time. I probably would've batted him at 8 myself if given this group of players but that's coming from someone who'd never pick him anyway; if they thought he was good enough to play then having him come in at 6 made sense if only because of when that wicket fell.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

DWTA.

Well yeah, he has been dire for the past year or so and probably deserved the sack by now, but don't think a average of 37/38 massively inflates his ability tbh.

He looks even worse than other batsman during a slump, but he is mentally strong and people have been going a bit overblown with the criticism of him and particularly his keeping which has been fine this series tbh considering he captains too.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson on just before tea, be interesting to see if he bowls straight after or not. Been another great session for India but they know a wicket might cause a collapse and give the initiative back to England. Whatever happens they will only be about level at close at best if they get that far.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
DWTA.

Well yeah, he has been dire for the past year or so and probably deserved the sack by now, but don't think a average of 37/38 massively inflates his ability tbh.

He looks even worse than other batsman during a slump, but he is mentally strong and people have been going a bit overblown with the criticism of him and particularly his keeping which has been fine this series tbh considering he captains too.
Yes, I am aware that some people disagree with my assessment.