• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I too would have selected Potts. But the truth is, Anderson has been England's best seamer in India. I doubt those not selected would've done much better. eg Woakes
'Has' being the operative word. Not even the bowler he was 3 years ago tbh

Not that he's bowling badly per se, but it's pretty toothless stuff

JavaHurricane

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I too would have selected Potts. But the truth is, Anderson has been England's best seamer in India. I doubt those not selected would've done much better. eg Woakes
Eh, I was batting for Jimmy at the start of the series precisely based on his record in India. There was, at the time, not much reason to believe that his Ashes issues would carry over into this tour. He started well in Vizag but his performance has gone completely downhill after that - 1/139 in Rajkot, little-used in Ranchi (especially in the second innings), and an expensive outing so far in Dharamshala. Perhaps somewhat better than Wood in this series, but symptomatic of age catching up still. Atkinson (who I have held should have debuted in this game) wouldn't have done any worse; and Potts not being selected for the tour after his impressive work with the Lions was a bad move from the selectors.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Sarfaraz must be the most natural number 5 you could hope to find. Remains to be seen how he goes abroad but in Indian conditions he's damn near perfect for that spot.
I'd say this was a disappointing series for him as well which speaks highly of his ceiling

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bog-average English team, with moments of sporadic brilliance, about to get beaten 4-1 in India

That's all folks
Yup, I think we've been here before. I also think that England playing five-test series in India needs to be a thing of the past; consigned to history alongside grainy black and white footage and curved bats. We've tried Bazball, Rootball and Cookball (and yes, we have seen a lot of balls from England in these series) and none of them have made much of an impact on the hosts. We've blamed the captains, we've blamed the pitches and sometimes we've blamed the 3rd umpires but the simple truth is we're not remotely good enough to justify a full series in India. Let's just cap these series at three matches and let someone else play a couple; maybe Afghanistan, or Ireland, or Madagascar, or whoever really.

Beyond that, I've started working on a pecking order of who should be allowed to contribute to prezzers or the written word from this team. Stokes isn't actually too bad most of the time, and Wood's usually great. Root's OK too afaics. At the other end of the scale, Duckett, Robinson and Bairstow shouldn't be allowed anywhere near them. Crawley and Anderson have had their iffy moments, so I woudn't risk them. Pope seems pretty inoffensive, but I may have missed something. Foakes is probably a safe pair of hands, and the spinners playing in this match seem OK, but I don't actually remember them saying very much at all.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Yup, I think we've been here before. I also think that England playing five-test series in India needs to be a thing of the past; consigned to history alongside grainy black and white footage and curved bats. We've tried Bazball, Rootball and Cookball (and yes, we have seen a lot of balls from England in these series) and none of them have made much of an impact on the hosts. We've blamed the captains, we've blamed the pitches and sometimes we've blamed the 3rd umpires but the simple truth is we're not remotely good enough to justify a full series in India. Let's just cap these series at three matches and let someone else play a couple; maybe Afghanistan, or Ireland, or Madagascar, or whoever really.

Beyond that, I've started working on a pecking order of who should be allowed to contribute to prezzers or the written word from this team. Stokes isn't actually too bad most of the time, and Wood's usually great. Root's OK too afaics. At the other end of the scale, Duckett, Robinson and Bairstow shouldn't be allowed anywhere near them. Crawley and Anderson have had their iffy moments, so I woudn't risk them. Pope seems pretty inoffensive, but I may have missed something. Foakes is probably a safe pair of hands, and the spinners playing in this match seem OK, but I don't actually remember them saying very much at all.
Disagree , 5 Test series are compelling to watch regardless of the results..

You literally feel careers change , for better or for worse in a 5 test series that can shape a country's destiny for the foreseeable future.
5 Test series just add so much context to Test cricket , and they are rare these days so should be appreciated.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree , 5 Test series are compelling to watch regardless of the results..

You literally feel careers change , for better or for worse in a 5 test series that can shape a country's destiny for the foreseeable future.
5 Test series just add so much context to Test cricket , and they are rare these days so should be appreciated.
Out of interest, which countries do you think should play five test series in India?

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not sure about root honestly. His average on the sweep plummeted when the pitches got poor last series and have stayed that way this series to a point where in the past 3 innings he's put the shot away completely.

I don't know if 2021 root would have enjoyed facing bumrah early in this series anymore than now, and outside of the reverse scoop I don't know if he avoids any dismissals.
The point is with Branden Mccullum's innovative coaching approach, added to the equation, England were paper tigers this time with swashbuckling approach, yet, didn't pass the mount Olympus lava litmus test.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The point is with Branden Mccullum's innovative coaching approach, added to the equation, England were paper tigers this time with swashbuckling approach, yet, didn't pass the mount Olympus lava litmus test.
you should apply for the post of dharamshala tourist guide

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England , Australia, and Pakistan
OK. It's all about opinions, of course. I'm not arguing about Australia, and yes it would be great if Pakistan were able to play there.
But England? Personally I can only take so much of this. But others may differ.

And things change. I'm old enough to remember WI playing five test series in England, but I don't think anyone's suggesting that nowadays.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
OK. It's all about opinions, of course. I'm not arguing about Australia, and yes it would be great if Pakistan were able to play there.
But England? Personally I can only take so much of this. But others may differ.

And things change. I'm old enough to remember WI playing five test series in England, but I don't think anyone's suggesting that nowadays.
England are part of the Big 3 they have the resources to keep coming back strong and play enough tests to one day find a suitable strategy for Indian conditions.

England vs India should also be 5 Tests as this would generate a lot of interest and revenue.