• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

danzydab

U19 12th Man
Honestly, Jimmy should retire after this game, regardless of whether he gets the 700th. He's done.
yea, was toothless in the ashes and does not look like getting a wicket at all. also sad to see wood be this ineffective, looks like age has also caught up with him.

if eng can pick shoaib bashir and rehan out of nowhere, then they should also pick john turner, who ls talented with all the goods of a quality test seamer. tom lawes and john turner should be given chances in this english summer.

as of now, england's main seamers should be a fully fit robinson and matt potts. tongue and atkinson look really good but tongue is very injury prone and will be used sparingly.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It may only be 1-59, but it's still the best figures from a full time seamer in the match. Or are you suggesting Bumrah should retire too?
Bumrah could've picked up 3-4 with even a small helping of luck.

Don't think Anderson's been bad at all though. Think he mightve cleaned up if he'd got to bowl in the first morning when it moved around loads.

Molehill

International Captain
yea, was toothless in the ashes and does not look like getting a wicket at all. also sad to see wood be this ineffective, looks like age has also caught up with him.
What? He did take a wicket. This pitch s offering nothing for the seamers. No one seems to be questioning Bumrah's 0-51.

Xix2565

International Debutant
What? He did take a wicket. This pitch s offering nothing for the seamers. No one seems to be questioning Bumrah's 0-51.
We watched his spell and saw Crawley and Duckett heroically dance around balls with their bats or tactically edge it to empty parts of the ground as a totally calculated way to score runs and totally not them being unable to get bat on ball via swing and some seam movement.

Stokes himself got some reverse and seam movement in his brief spell, and Anderson as well during that time. Even then, this problem with Anderson is more than just this Test tbh, it's a long term issue people dance around because no one is interested in paying too much attention to him.

JavaHurricane

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It may only be 1-59, but it's still the best figures from a full time seamer in the match. Or are you suggesting Bumrah should retire too?
Anderson in the last one year: 15 innings, 14 wickets at 54.35. Four matches at home in the Ashes in which he averaged a stratospheric 85 for his 5 wickets. A better record of 9 wickets at 37.11 on this tour, but that's still below par. https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...3;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

Atkinson, Potts et al may not have his subcontinental experience, but I'm pretty sure they'd do better than 37 a wicket in 7 innings. After all, Anderson has the worst average of all England bowlers over the last year. https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...al1=span;team=1;template=results;type=bowling

I think it is time he made way for younger bowlers. He's had his time, and his age has caught up with him at last.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Look at Rabada with the Midas touch. Seems perennially on the wane but always ends up with great figures. Still only 28 too, sad SA don't play much Test cricket anymore. He could've broken all sorts of records.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Look at Rabada with the Midas touch. Seems perennially on the wane but always ends up with great figures. Still only 28 too, sad SA don't play much Test cricket anymore. He could've broken all sorts of records.
i thought Rabada was ****ing awesome against us in Centurion

Molehill

International Captain
Anderson in the last one year: 15 innings, 14 wickets at 54.35. Four matches at home in the Ashes in which he averaged a stratospheric 85 for his 5 wickets. A better record of 9 wickets at 37.11 on this tour, but that's still below par. https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...3;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

Atkinson, Potts et al may not have his subcontinental experience, but I'm pretty sure they'd do better than 37 a wicket in 7 innings. After all, Anderson has the worst average of all England bowlers over the last year. https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...al1=span;team=1;template=results;type=bowling

I think it is time he made way for younger bowlers. He's had his time, and his age has caught up with him at last.
I too would have selected Potts. But the truth is, Anderson has been England's best seamer in India. I doubt those not selected would've done much better. eg Woakes