• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Molehill

International Captain
yeah I dunno about this take - as much as I severely dislike England, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal they played golf on their time off in what’s a big high-profile series.

(granted their performance means they have opened up the criticism, but I highly doubt the golf has much, if anything to do with it).
The performance was poor, but to correlate it with being in Abu Dhabi is nonsense.
I'm kind of playing Devil's Advocate here as I'm not sure myself. McCullum said they're off to play some golf this week before heading up to Dharamsala for 3 days of practice. I get that you can't practice all the time and you need some time off from cricket. But they do open themselves up for criticism when they chuck in performances like the 3rd Test. It's one thing being outplayed, it's another thing not playing to your own potential, which Duckett apart, none of them did. They didn't seem to be in the right frame of mind at all, I hope they're better next week.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Whenever you lose a series, it's always natural to look for reasons.

Maybe if we'd done that or not done this, the result would have been different.

But in this series, the truth is India won because in Indian conditions they are better than us.

Going or not going to Abu Dhabi between tests made no difference.

FWIW I'm not unhappy with our performance. It was always going to be tough to win the series but my main hope was for us to be competitive and I think we have been.

All our batsmen, maybe bar Bairstow, have shown they can score runs in India.

Our spinners have also shown potential - we now have some genuine options rather than Leach or play no spinner.

Overall I think we've performed better than I expected.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Because Ireland is not a real country [/RICHARD]

shouldn't that be Tests against England shouldn't count as England isn't a country.... (UK is, Repubteam of Ireland is, much like West Indies is a conglomerate)

then again is it required for them to be a country or just given Test status....
I was referencing an old poster from back in the day. Used to oppose Ireland getting Test status, or getting upset about losing players on the argument that The whole of Ireland is somehow part of the UK.

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its been a pattern that India loses its first test but goes on to win or draw the series - vs England 2021, 2024, vs Australia 2020-21, vs SA 2023.

Chin Music

First Class Debutant
Whenever you lose a series, it's always natural to look for reasons.

Maybe if we'd done that or not done this, the result would have been different.

But in this series, the truth is India won because in Indian conditions they are better than us.

Going or not going to Abu Dhabi between tests made no difference.

FWIW I'm not unhappy with our performance. It was always going to be tough to win the series but my main hope was for us to be competitive and I think we have been.

All our batsmen, maybe bar Bairstow, have shown they can score runs in India.

Our spinners have also shown potential - we now have some genuine options rather than Leach or play no spinner.

Overall I think we've performed better than I expected.
I think a bit of perspective is needed. It is damn hard to win there and England have gone there short of experienced bowling. I'm not entirely happy with the performance of the batsmen, the likes of Root and Bairstow have been too profligate with their wickets. There have been signs of promise from the openers but ultimately as a unit, England have probably underperformed a bit with the bat. With the bowling, at least we have seen signs of promise with the young spinners. We have to question the strategy on how the seamers have been used. Overall though, I don't think too many seasoned fans would have expected England to win in India with that squad. However, if the final result is 4-1 India, there should be some questions asked about the total approach.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The Bazball frame of mind is not to worry and clear your mind of anything related to your form, improving, or winning the game.
They need to still focus on sustaining the spirit of the game and saving test cricket though...very heavy burden to carry around.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Between Jadeja/Ashwin/Kuldeep there's not many places in Asia you can't get a team out twice. Then there's Shami & Bumrah, an ATG for any venue in Asia or even WI away!