• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

91Jmay

International Coach
They just played badly, I am far less bothered by the collapse than I am the brainless bowling and Root soaking up loads of balls.

He has played well in T20s before though, just not in good form.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just saw the replay, holy shizzers England.

At least losing 8 for 8 makes Stoke's conceding 24 off this last over look quite so bad.

Bijed

International Regular
Not just because of his disappointing series here, but I wouldn't object to Root bring dropped from the 20 over side, just because I'm rarely hugely in favour of anyone playing all 3 formats and it's his worst format anyway. Hopefully it'd help him focus more on tests and might also be the sort of kick up the backside he needs to really push on.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
No value (and i hate) when a team gives up a chase and settles for 170-6 when chasing 200 (even if it might look better and less embarrassing that 130ao). However you would have expected one or two of the remaining bats to be good enough to get a 10 or 20 given they do practice hittting from ball 1. That's certainly a worry that they were so inept.

It probably also highlights England's bowling problems in ODI/T20 cricket. England never seem to run through a team like that. They don't have a Starc or good spinner to run through the oppositions middle and lower order. It means they are always going to have work hard for victories in tight games against good opposition (and the batsman are always under big pressure) whilst other teams will sometimes just run through even good opposition. Assuming a good season I'd like to see Saqib Mahmood (or maybe Matt Fisher) getting a swift promotion to the England white ball teams after the champions trophy. Can't just settle on the current mediocre group, need to keep looking.

theegyptian

Roy is gotta be under pressure for his place in the T20 team now. Even in scoring 32 he looked terrible and if anything seems to be getting worse playing spin. Has a poor record and isn't improving as a T20 bat.

Billings also shouldn't have been opening (as I said at the start of the series). Very little experience batting in top order in T20. Doesn't have the conventional boundary hitting skills against seam and no experience of batting through an innings to make match winning contribution.

Root will have to take the series loss on the chin. He used up the balls in the middle of the innings and didn't finish the game off at the end. However you do need more from your openers. A 60 or 70 from one and you win the series.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone remember the World t20 under a year ago? The one where Root hit a match-winning 80-odd to chase a huge score against South Africa; was the main reason we put up any sort of defendable total in the final, and thus a big reason why we got close to winning it; and was our most consistent batsman in the tournament.

Considering we put so much stock in tournament performances in ODIs, it seems only fair to do the same in t20s. One poor series does not change just how important he is to the team. I don't know how anyone can call for dropping the guy, regardless of what you think about playing three formats. If you really are worried about that I'd be looking more closely at Stokes and Moeen, since they're allrounders and haven't even performed all that well.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
We were also pretty competitive in an away ODI series + T20 series. Not like we totally wet the bed.
Absolutely

The criticism has been isolated to the 8 for 8 collapse, not the whole team or series. If a team loses 8 for 8 they should be panned. Surely that isn't controversial.

Daemon

Yeah, this was the only drubbing across both series wasn't it? Even India rolled over for a tickle in the first T20.

Very enjoyable tour.

Bijed

International Regular
I don't know how anyone can call for dropping the guy, regardless of what you think about playing three formats. If you really are worried about that I'd be looking more closely at Stokes and Moeen, since they're allrounders and haven't even performed all that well.
Fair call, but tbf wasn't Moeen our best bowler in the recent T20s? Says more about the rest of our bowling, but still.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair call, but tbf wasn't Moeen our best bowler in the recent T20s? Says more about the rest of our bowling, but still.
He's a good economical bowler in the short forms, if not a regular wicket-taking threat, and I certainly wouldn't drop him, but if workload is really a problem I'd be looking at him before Root. Not to mention he's really unsuited to the finisher's role we've left him with.

Bijed

International Regular
I'm quite possibly barking up the wrong tree here, but I wonder if Root's relative struggles are to do with being a bit distracted because he wants to be with his new-born child right now (think he spent about 48 hours with them before returning to the tour)

theegyptian

It could be anything really.

I would say though that Root has always struggled for acceleration at the end of ODI/T20 knocks and it's been his main area of weakness.

Test and ODI/T20 50/100 conversion issues are different. Test is mainly mental imo. ODIs he struggles with the power shots. He loses balance and shape and poise.

Needs to keep improving the execution of his strokes + possible adjustment in his gameplan. i.e First half of innings is built around scoring off every delivery he can by being busy. Second half of innings he kind of forgets that and tries to smash three boundaries an over. Possibly needs to be more selective and less frenetic. Try and get 5 singles/twos and 1 boundary every 6 balls, rather than a couple of fours and a six every 6. He has improved in this regard over time although he seemed to relapse in this series. Maybe just bad form.

To be a truly elite tier ODI bat and match winner he does need to work on that back end of the innings gameplan so that he can change his 80 off 90 balls into the big 150 and 160 knocks that the greats can do.

Daemon

It could be anything really.

I would say though that Root has always struggled for acceleration at the end of ODI/T20 knocks and it's been his main area of weakness.

Test and ODI/T20 50/100 conversion issues are different. Test is mainly mental imo. ODIs he struggles with the power shots. He loses balance and shape and poise.

Needs to keep improving the execution of his strokes + possible adjustment in his gameplan. i.e First half of innings is built around scoring off every delivery he can by being busy. Second half of innings he kind of forgets that and tries to smash three boundaries an over. Possibly needs to be more selective and less frenetic. Try and get 5 singles/twos and 1 boundary every 6 balls, rather than a couple of fours and a six every 6. He has improved in this regard over time although he seemed to relapse in this series. Maybe just bad form.

To be a truly elite tier ODI bat and match winner he does need to work on that back end of the innings gameplan so that he can change his 80 off 90 balls into the big 150 and 160 knocks that the greats can do.
Yeah, agree completely. Scores boundaries and singles so easily early on but he's not very good at power hitting when the situation demands it. Having a slog isn't working for him imo he needs to play around a bit with the crease and field.