• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Batsmen I am worried will hurt my team the most from the opposition -

Pakistan - Younis, Misbah, Azhar

Sri Lanka - Matthews, Mendis, De Silva, Chandimal

West Indies - Brathwaite, Bravo, that new keeper

Bangladesh - Tamim, Shakib, Imrul V2

Zimbabwe - ???

England - Root, Cook, Stokes

New Zealand - Big Daddy Kane, Ross Taylor, Ronchi

Australia - Warner, Smith, Handscomb

South Africa - Amla, AB, Faf, QDK

Guess now you know why I Gambhir as much as Ido :p

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah pretty poor omission on my part to leave out QdK. Maybe because he was a lot less heralded here before this tour that I didn't factor him in, yet he was a massive difference in the series.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batsmen I am worried will hurt my team the most from the opposition -

Pakistan - Younis, Misbah, Azhar

Sri Lanka - Matthews, Mendis, De Silva, Chandimal

West Indies - Brathwaite, Bravo, that new keeper

Bangladesh - Tamim, Shakib, Imrul V2

Zimbabwe - ???

England - Root, Cook, Stokes

New Zealand - Big Daddy Kane, Ross Taylor, Ronchi

Australia - Warner, Smith, Handscomb

South Africa - Amla, AB, Faf, QDK

Guess now you know why I am Gambhir as much as Ido :p
Shafiq > Azhar

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah pretty poor omission on my part to leave out QdK. Maybe because he was a lot less heralded here before this tour that I didn't factor him in, yet he was a massive difference in the series.
Agree that De Kock was not bigged up enough pre-series.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I saw a lot of posts and reports (esp in cricinfo) stating that England's 'focus' and 'resurgence' in ODIs and T20s have cost them in test cricket.

The latest ICC rankings indicate that England are 5th in tests, ODIs and 6th in T20 cricket. So what's this resurgence we are talking about?

Compton

International Debutant
FWIW I do rate Root. Just don't find it fair that he gets called as "the" batsman for all conditions when Smith and Kohli have far more complete records, Kohli's in England notwithstanding. Also think he isn't that good against spin and on proper turning pitches he will have problems. I'd also like to see him respond to out and out pace ala Steyn vs Kohli Jo'burg or Johnson vs Kohli..something he hasn't had to do till now.
Kohli has a more complete record once you remove the worst parts of his record? Curious stuff.

I bet he averages more than Root if you ignore his ducks as well. Don't get me started on the comparisons if you ignore all the times Root passes 50!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I saw a lot of posts and reports (esp in cricinfo) stating that England's 'focus' and 'resurgence' in ODIs and T20s have cost them in test cricket.

The latest ICC rankings indicate that England are 5th in tests, ODIs and 6th in T20 cricket. So what's this resurgence we are talking about?

Well, 5 and 6 is better than 10 :ph34r:

But seriously, they are playing far better ODI and T20 cricket than they used to. Just remains to be seen if those can be sustained over a period of time.

Compton

International Debutant

At least they've found consistency across formats.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. Compton is in full salt mode today. :)

I agree about this stupid "remove" someone's good (or bad) matches to compare thing. Just so annoying.

listento_me

U19 Captain

It helps if you actually watch cricket and not just look at the rankings.

England have won 5 of their 7 ODI series' since the last world cup, 2 of which have been in Asia. On top of all that, it's not just the results but also the way they have played. The batsmen are innovative and powerful and have some serious big hitting behind them. The bowlers aren't as good but there's a good variety coming through. The fact that England are still ranked 5 just goes to show you how off the rankings can often be.

there's only 2 ODI sides I'd say that were clearly better than England and thats India and Australia.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Kohli has a more complete record once you remove the worst parts of his record? Curious stuff.

I bet he averages more than Root if you ignore his ducks as well. Don't get me started on the comparisons if you ignore all the times Root passes 50!
Kohli's record in India was pretty meh until this year (17 matches, Avg. 46.0, 3 tons, 7 fifties, HS 107). Rashid, Mo and Co have helped him plump it up quite a bit. Before then Kohli always looked much better on pacier pitches in Australia and South Africa. This series is a bit of a freak given the low and slow nature of the pitches, although factoring for the quality of spin...

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
It helps if you actually watch cricket and not just look at the rankings.

England have won 5 of their 7 ODI series' since the last world cup, 2 of which have been in Asia. On top of all that, it's not just the results but also the way they have played. The batsmen are innovative and powerful and have some serious big hitting behind them. The bowlers aren't as good but there's a good variety coming through. The fact that England are still ranked 5 just goes to show you how off the rankings can often be.

there's only 2 ODI sides I'd say that were clearly better than England and thats India and Australia.
Fair point

Then again 3 out of those 5 were at home against NZ, Pak and SL. They lost to Australia at home.They lost to SA in SA as well.

While touring they beat Pakistan in UAE and Bangladesh in Bangladesh.

Methinks England's ranking at no.5 is fair dinkum - they are definitely below India, Aus, SA as an ODI team.

Still I agree with you that England has been un-Englandly in ODIs but that's relative to how bad they were before.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Btw, I don't think England's limited overs success is a negative for the test side. I just think there needs to be a change in certain personnel and a genuine push towards a cricketing philosophy they can stick to, rather than lip service.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
So what are England's achievements in ODI and T20 cricket of late? I can remember them making the finals of t20 bash this year.
Having absolutely stunk the 2014 - 15 World Cup out with stodgy cricket they dramatically turned things around to beat New Zealand (finalists) with an exiting brand of Kiwi inspired cricket. They were more than competitive against the Aussies (the winners) and South Africa also, losing 3-2 in both one-day series, and beat Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, teams that were defeating them before the turn around.

You already mentioned the World T20.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Congrats to India on a crushing series win..I was reading a quote about England lost this due to not having world class spinners-sorry but jadeja is nowhere near a world class spinner-sorry(irrespective of his performance in this match). IMO England lost this series as not enough of the top order scored big runs to give the bowlers a chance..