• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Vince is a very good player. I’m not sure if he had the mental strength and ruthlessness for test cricket. Recently he’s getting big scores and possibly developed a more competitive edge and confidence about his own game. Could be worth another go at some point over someone like Malan. If he did play again they could only really give him 3 more tests and then call it a day though if he didn’t perform. I think he’s struggling to ever play a limited overs game again due to lack of power, england’s Batting line up is ridiculously strong in limited overs cricket to the point Joe Root is looking the weakest link now in the limited overs batting
I really like your posts John1990 - you're clearly up with recent games and trends, but I struggle with Joe Root being a bugbear for you. If he doesn't make your England team - I'm pretty confident every single other team in the world - even India (who leave out Pant and Rayudu with Rahul struggling they have that many talented bats) - would find room for him in odi or tests, even t20i.

Like KW - his attributes in leadership, more so especially bowling, is more than a mere batsman who regularly delivers when the going isn't easy.

I like "liking" your posts.

But Root can play. He got game. In 50 over cricket - he's the closest on recent form just with the bat to Virat imo.

Hales presents a mild dilemma for Eng limited overs until Stokes and/or Woakes return - but its a vast and steep drop to Billings next. And given the attrition and injury rates - Root is pretty safe until Hales finds consistency to really challenge without bowling.

For mine right now, at least until Stokes returns at the earliest, Hales only target is Roy. And Roy has been delivering with an EWCB shirt on all 2018 of late.

For me - Hales is 'Mr Fix' it for Stokes or really Buttler or above being injured - Root ain't broke and you don't wisely fix what ain't broke.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Joe Clarke ending a pretty bad run of form with a stunning knock. He needs to find consistency, talent is obviously however.

Not particularly convinced by Burns, however at this point he surely has to play?

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Joe Clarke ending a pretty bad run of form with a stunning knock. He needs to find consistency, talent is obviously however.

Not particularly convinced by Burns, however at this point he surely has to play?
For Biullings - yes, Buttler/Bairstow, no.

91Jmay

International Coach
For Biullings - yes, Buttler/Bairstow, no.
Talking Test Matches. Burns will never be anywhere near white ball cricket.

He is an opener so no danger on Buttler/Bairstow.

Jennings probably will retain and fail so Burns gets chance after that.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Imran Tahir's counties,

Middlesex 2003
Yorkshire 2007
Hampshire 2008 - 14
Warwickshire 2010
Notts 2015
Derbyshire 2017
Durham 2018

Beaten Marcus North's record.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Talking Test Matches. Burns will never be anywhere near white ball cricket.

He is an opener so no danger on Buttler/Bairstow.

Jennings probably will retain and fail so Burns gets chance after that.
Or Cook retires and Burns replaces him.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Someone tell Pujara to go on a short holiday. This stint is getting progressively worse.

Jack1

International Debutant

He surely can't be ignored. If he is it screams blatant illogical bias to be blunt. If they ignore him then it's a blatant boys club.

I've got to say too, Coad has to make the squad too. He's averaging 20 in FC cricket. I know he hasn't played much, but nor had Anderson when he came in. If you are taking wickets at 20 from game 1 in county cricket then you shouldn't be ignored in my view. 84 wickets @ 20 in career is top effort. Burns has got his average touching 44 now. I don't get annoyed and am a pretty calm person usually, but if England pick Jennings again over Burns I'll probably be fuming.

Should add Burns being captain of his county side shouldn't be relevant. This is about England's test side and they should pick the best 11 regardless. I feel like they might be scared to upset Surrey though, which seems a bit silly to be honest. Same with them being reluctant to pick Coad or Porter, it's like they don't want to upset counties by taking their best players or something..which isn't really the point of a national team vs county

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Why is this Stokes playing for a Division 2 county?
Suppose it's because he's always played for them and it isn't effecting his England chances so doesn't really matter if he's happy there. Not like he plays for them much. I sort of understand the question and point you're making though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe they’re not picking these players because they’ve actually watched them and realise that, especially when it comes to bowling, numbers don’t mean everything as what gets wickets in county cricket is cannon fodder in Tests?

S.Kennedy

Suppose it's because he's always played for them and it isn't effecting his England chances so doesn't really matter if he's happy there. Not like he plays for them much. I sort of understand the question and point you're making though.
I think he was trolling me.

theegyptian

Glad the real cricket got started yesterday. Enough of the boring garbage that lasts 4 days. Can you believe that, 4 days and sometimes there isn't even a winner!

Sussex have got that unbalanced kind of squad with a load of quality bowling and lacking good batting. Saying that, if they get 180 (or even 150+) every time, they will defend a lot of totals with Rashid Khan, Archer and some other decent bowling in the ranks.

theegyptian

surrey debuting another kid. 17 year old Jamie Smith WK Batsman. Foakes playing so presumably Smith only playing as a bat.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone sure what's going on with Kyle Abbott? Copped a hammering the other day, and has also been uncharacteristically expensive in red ball cricket as well.