• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Big Bash League

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah; the reason people got excited though was because no other spinners had even done that, at all. Having half a decent Shield season as a spinner was massive. He was certainly always a better option than Doherty or Beer for example.

Yeah no-one's talked him up as a limited overs bowler at all though.
Yeah but the same bloke averaging 26 in FC and 67 in List A over a smallish but not insignificant number of games is just too weird. It tends to suggest both numbers don't really represent the blokes ability and the reality is somewhere near the middle i.e. over a longer period of time the FC number is bound to go up and the List A number come down.

I know you and I are both big believers in (a) not judging on appearances, and (b) separating the formats, but this is a pretty extreme case.

Have you actually seen him bowl much in FC cricket and look dangerous? Does he spin it much? Variations?

thierry henry

International Coach
Realise he's trundling his way through a gun spell at the moment tbh- just don't like spinners with nothing actions, this bloke bowls like Naeem Islam ffs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah but the same bloke averaging 26 in FC and 67 in List A over a smallish but not insignificant number of games is just too weird. It tends to suggest both numbers don't really represent the blokes ability and the reality is somewhere near the middle i.e. over a longer period of time the FC number is bound to go up and the List A number come down.

I know you and I are both big believers in (a) not judging on appearances, and (b) separating the formats, but this is a pretty extreme case.

Have you actually seen him bowl much in FC cricket and look dangerous? Does he spin it much? Variations?
He doesn't really look much in First Class cricket either; certainly not a big turner. He's relentlessly accurate and varies his pace extremely well; he's kind of like Vettori in a lot of ways, except he actually takes wickets.

I don't think a First Class average of 26 accurately reflects how good he is either, especially given the pitch he took that 7fa on and the quality of batsmen he has dismissed this season, which is why I supported Lyon's selection. I just maintained that he was far more likely to succeed than Doherty and Beer who not only don't look much but have poor records as well, and can't bat.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PEWS often gives the example that if you saw Lyon, Beer and SOK bowl in the nets you'd discard SOK straight away ftr

Burgey

Again, no Yatesy.

This is dire from Fox. Take a Mini Moke to the game and leave a Rolls Royce in the garage.

Burgey

Have asked Yatesy on Twitter what's doing, ftr.

Collingwood such a ****. Prick of a shot.

Spikey

Almost as if Paul Collingwood forgot he hasn't played a good shot off a good quick bowler for about 3 years