• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in the West Indies 2018

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That West Indies innings looks like a cluster****. Hope scoring at seventies rates, what the hell was Lewis doing? And just another confirmation that Powell is completely useless.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangladesh trying Imrul, Soumya and now going back to Anamul are signs of a lazy selection panel. There was a time when Bangladesh were a bit more daring in their approach and would try out new kids from domestic. Even with BPL now in it's 5th year, BD selectors don't seem to know of anyone beyond this limited group

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They've been picking Rubel Hossain, quite possibly the worst test bowler ever, in tests all these years. I don't think it's a new thing.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
They've been picking Rubel Hossain, quite possibly the worst test bowler ever, in tests all these years. I don't think it's a new thing.
No he hasn't been regular. They dropped for a while and tried Kamrul and Subhashish for 2 years before going back to Rubel.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
How long has it been since the West Indies have been a good ODI side? Notwithstanding their mid-00s success in Champions Trophy tournaments I reckon you’d have to go back to the late 80s/early 90s to find them consistently winning ODI matches; it would be decades since they’ve been ranked a top 3 ODI side under the current ratings system.

Athlai

Not Terrible
How long has it been since the West Indies have been a good ODI side? Notwithstanding their mid-00s success in Champions Trophy tournaments I reckon you’d have to go back to the late 80s/early 90s to find them consistently winning ODI matches; it would be decades since they’ve been ranked a top 3 ODI side under the current ratings system.
They were still something of a ODI force in the late 90s tbf.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's a bit hard to look it up but I'd say they probably reached top 3 at some stage in the 2000s. NZ touched that position many times and West Indies have off and on been at our best level in the last few decades.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Losing to Australia in 2000-2008 didn't mean much though since they were about 20 points clear of 2nd place on the table.
Just saying that most other teams were much more competitive (except Zimbabwe in 2000, and we haven't invited them back since)

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
We have had burst of competitiveness over the last decade or so (2004 ICCT, 2009 Champions Trophy, 2014 team with Gayle, Russel, Pollard and Narine excelling etc).

But for the most part we have been utterly dire. Some of it is of our own making (2 years without picking Gayle, the treatment of Sarwan who was a ODI ATG etc). Our selectors have failed to keep up with the times and have a fundamental lack of understanding as to how ODI's work nowadays. We are still trying to get scores of 270/280 with the likes of Shai Hope and Jason Mohammed scoring at a strike rate of 65-70 in the middle overs. That worked in the 2000's but the game has moved on and you need to score at a strike rate of 85 minimum in the middle overs to be competitive.

Our ODI side is indisputably terrible so it's time for experimentation and to throw people in there who have shown they can rotate the strike in domestic and A team cricket (Sunil Ambris, Kaveem Hodge, even Blackwood). Instead they keep chucking around the likes of Kieron Powell and giving him ODI appearances. It's ridiculous. We have nothing at all to lose by trying something different.

My Windies ODI side to try and claw back some dignity:

Chris Gayle (Serious power at the top, but inconsistent)
Evin Lewis (Serious power at the top, but inconsistent)
Shai Hope - WK (Get your strike rate up to 80 or perish, even if your average goes down to 30)
Shimron Hetmeyer (the modern style batsman, we need more like him)
Sunil Ambris (has shown repeatedly that he is an excellent List A finisher and rotates the strike)
Rovman Powell (not great against spin but learning all the time. Strike rate of 90)
Jason Holder (big hitter, good at recovery battting)
Andre Russell (big hitter, rotates strike, fast bowling. Please stay fit)
Ashley Nurse/Rakheem Cornwall (decent off spinner, can hit a few down the order)
Devendra Bishoo (always useful to have a leggie in ODI's and he has a decent record)
Alzari Joseph/Oshane Thomas/Shannon Gabriel/Sheldon Cotterel (serious pace and cutting edge with the new ball and in the middle overs)

I don't think that's a bad side tbh. It is based on cricketing logic. It still has weaknesses like an inexperienced middle order and the fact that key players are injury prone, but it also has many strengths like batting power and bowling variety. Now if I can work that out why can't our selectors? Instead they are recycling Kieron Powell and trying to ruin Keemo Paul's career by playing him in his weaker format.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Losing to Australia in 2000-2008 didn't mean much though since they were about 20 points clear of 2nd place on the table.
Even factoring in how good Australia have been in home ODIs in the past few decades, the West Indies modern ODI record v Australia in Australia is atrocious. They’ve lost their last 17 completed ODIs and you have to go all the way back to 1997 when Mark Taylor was still captain for their last win. No other side that plays ODIs regularly in Oz has anywhere near a bad a record.

And the thing is that hardly any of those losses were the Windies close to winning (probably their most recent ODI where they lost by 17 runs was the closest).

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It's a bit hard to look it up but I'd say they probably reached top 3 at some stage in the 2000s. NZ touched that position many times and West Indies have off and on been at our best level in the last few decades.
Via the Wayback Archive, had a look at some of the 2000s rankings and didn’t see the Windies manage to get in the top 3, even around the time of the 2004 Champions Trophy triumph as they lost a lot of ODIs before and after.

In terms of winning a lot of ODIs over a 2-3 year period and being a highly ranked side, reckon you have to go back to the 1992-1995 period.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah West Indies 2004 Champions trophy win really came out of nowhere. They weren't a particularly good team at the time.

The final was a great game though. IIRC 8/100ish chasing 200ish and they won. Ian Bradshaw and Courtney Browne. Good times.