• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in NZ 2021-22

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess I don't mean machismo so much in terms of slapping the bowling around...moreso that it was an admired spot to bat in. If you did that spot well, whether you were Hayden or Sunny Gavaskar, you were as as big a dog as it got on the international stage. You crafted your game mainly around being good at that job (and maybe you changed it a bit for ODIs). You played more 4-day first class cricket, too.

Is the bowling harder now? Yeah, potentially it is. That's got to explain some of it.

But to me, it's the fact that the Haydens, the Sehwags, the Gilchrists, anyone else who successfully wacked it - they set their games up technically coming through the grades. They built a power game upon good technique in age group, then domestic FC cricket. England are a prime example of trying to build a power game without the necessary technique to have it translate into Test cricket. Roy, Buttler, Morgan etc just can't cut it because their technical base is sub-par - and unless England address that throughout their whole system, they may as well say to hell with anything involving a red ball at Test level.

What I'm trying to say is that the quality of Test match opening batting in particular I think will continue to fall, because you don't get the cream of the crop. If Matt Hayden was 18 now, he'd be wacking **** out of it, chewing gum and walking down at Big Bash bowlers trying to pick up an IPL contract - not amassing thousands of Sheffield Shield runs. The top echelon of quality coming through now will most likely want to bat 4-5 in Tests and play all 3 forms + beloved by IPL teams, ala AB de Villiers.
I mean the Hayden you just described was Warner 10 years ago, no?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean the Hayden you just described was Warner 10 years ago, no?
Bit different in that sense, Warner played for Australia in T20 and ODIs before he'd played a first class game. Hayden had 2-3 years of FC cricket before he played ODI cricket, then didn't play any at all from 1995-2000. Hence played a **** ton of FC games that weren't Tests (192) while Warner has only played 31 non Test FC games. Warner deserves a lot of credit for transforming his game into success as a Test player, he's definitely rare in that sense.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Ross dropped his fair share.

Kane at gully, taken some absolute screamers. Although I imagine there was a push for Jacob 'was a soccer goalkeeper' Oram
I understand Richard Hadlee was also pretty good at gully and a good goalkeeper. In the slips I'd throw in Nathan Astle's name, always seemed to have a very safe pair of hands and just a great all-round fielder.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Jamieson looked pretty ordinary in that spell... It's the height I know but when it's not happening for him, he looks like Oram...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jamieson’s looked pretty trash so far this season. Not really swinging it, dropping short routinely and down on pace. Should be left out of the LO cricket completely and sent back to Auckland to tighten up until the SA tests.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Why are we so shy on using the 5th bowler? We pick Darryl as the all rounder but he barely bowls. His bowling has definitely come along going by his domestic numbers in the last couple of seasons.

Flametree

International 12th Man
According to McCullum, this 50 partnership came "just at the right time". I suspect Bangladesh would have preferred it to come at 7-1 rather than 27-5....

jcas0167

International Debutant
Jamieson’s looked pretty trash so far this season. Not really swinging it, dropping short routinely and down on pace. Should be left out of the LO cricket completely and sent back to Auckland to tighten up until the SA tests.
Another downside of Heinrich Malan heading off to coach Ireland. Jamieson had credited him with his improvement after he left Canterbury.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand Richard Hadlee was also pretty good at gully and a good goalkeeper. In the slips I'd throw in Nathan Astle's name, always seemed to have a very safe pair of hands and just a great all-round fielder.
Astle was great - always sticks out him dropping a goober of Graham Thorpe on 4 when he went on to score 200 in Christchurch. Although he pretty well made it up when he batted in the next innings...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the sort of humiliation NZ fans should be happy to see their team responding with after last test. Good signs they’re destroying these second eaters now their mental approach is right.

ataraxia

International Coach
This is the sort of humiliation NZ fans should be happy to see their team responding with after last test. Good signs they’re destroying these second eaters now their mental approach is right.
**** only 10 posts to go for you