• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Watling sure didn't cover himself in glory in Aus, and though I'm a fan won't blame people for being unconvinced about his limited over capabilities.

But how the hell does he get left out after one bad series when Ronchi was allowed a dozen of them?
Well I don't think Watling's suited at all for the role they want the keeper to play in this side. Higher up the order he could do alright, but I guess that's been ruled out. Probably understandable, his strikerate is still going to be a problem, even as an accumulator.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't mind Ronchi's recall tbh, clearly he had a very bad run and did deserve to be dropped, but after seeing the alternative in Watling, I think it was obvious to all concerned that his game just doesn't add any value to NZ's ODI batting line-up.

I know a few like PEWS having been calling for Watling's cake value for some time, but unfortunately it's some pretty bland sponge-cake when it comes to one-day cricket, & is unlikely to score at much better than a 75% SR, which just ain't good enough in the middle order.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I guess there's more potential of Ronchi magically finding form and being an effective ODI keeper-bat until one of the new young bloods knocks the door down (seifert et al), more so than Watling being able to change his game potentially at the expense of Test form or the like. I'm not over the moon about it, but Watling's ODI ability looked really dire tbf.

Re: Broom. He's a form batsmen iirc. Had a good OD season last time around I think and has been in good nick this year in PS and T20. I'd actually rather see him play Tests more than anything else but he's not a bad selection imho. He got a **** run the first time round too - expected to be a lower order hitter and often came in at 6/7, which is a bit ****.

Zinzan

Was never a fan of Broom, used to concern me how often he'd miss straight balls by miles at international level to be bowled or LBW, but if he's improved his game & has some form on his side, let's see if he's improved. Was always a good striker of the ball, will give him that.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Really like the Broom selection here and reckon he should get a crack in Tests too. There's been a lot of talk about who should bat 5 and most of the contenders either seem to not quite have it for that spot (Nicholls, the all-rounders) or are a touch green (Bruce, Young isn't converting yet etc.), so let's chuck Broom in there for a couple of years. Consistently dominant at PS level and has been for ages. Can be absolutely brutal too, if he really gets going. Taylor/Broom/CdG sounds like a pretty useful middle order.

If Taylor isn't back for the Tests against Bangladesh, put Broom at 4 and #Guppyfor5.

Zinzan

Really like the Broom selection here and reckon he should get a crack in Tests too..
Not Tests please. Guy couldn't defend international bowling for jam in the few ODI's he played in. I'd prefer Guptill at 5 than Broom truth be told.

The more I think about it, I've got a strong feeling Guppy will get a chance at 5, which might get an interesting reaction to say the least from some within NZ cricketing circles.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
TBH I don't mind Neil Broom, he's one of domestics most consistent batsman, scores hundy's and can give it a tonk if required.

However, as an interim number 4, and presuming he'll be dumped once Ross comes back, it's seems like a missed opportunity to give someone younger a chance. But then again, no one is really demanding a spot, but I think NZC's crap domestic schedule is partially to blame.
Agree on both counts - Broom might not be a terrible short-term option though would really prefer someone younger against Bangladesh.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding Watling, I remember during his last stints in the ODI and T20 sides it was said he didn't really see himself as a limited-overs batsman and he was somewhat bemused about playing T20I in particular. So this makes me wonder if he's still a reluctant recruit to the limited overs sides - obviously he's a team man and I don't mean he wouldn't do his absolute best, but that he may not see himself as a limited overs player and the best man for the job.

I mean, Mark Geenty was interviewing him during the Australia series about who his replacement should be, which would seem strange if everyone knew Watling really wanted the spot and believed he was the best player for it.

That's my five minute theory. If that's not the case then he's been unfortunate to be given such a short time to prove himself, even if he is a bit of a slow cake.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
New Zealand squad looks strong. Very interesting battle awaits between Guptill/Kane v Fizz. Hard to predict this ODI series to be honest.

The Hutt Rec

Not Tests please. Guy couldn't defend international bowling for jam in the few ODI's he played in. I'd prefer Guptill at 5 than Broom truth be told.

The more I think about it, I've got a strong feeling Guppy will get a chance at 5, which might get an interesting reaction to say the least from some within NZ cricketing circles.
I'm happy with it, I wanted him there before Nicholls got his chance. He does actually have a decent record down the order in tests (albeit against poor opposition). He's woefully incapable of coping with a new swinging, seaming ball on anything other than a slab of concrete, his technique just won't allow it. I'm amazed this fact apparently went unnoticed for so long in the NZ side. But down the order he at least has a chance of succeeding, and if we can get him firing in the test team it will be a big boost for the side. So give it a go, I reckon.

Last edited:

Chewie

pretty sure kings college is one of the wanker schools so he's a through and through aucklander tbh, plus his name is so boring he must be a kiwi. 'chap' 'man' is basically saying he's a person twice

you support hong kong, india and bangas? you give love to international teams almost as often as you give out likes
That's my school!

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
what kind of team we are fielding here. I dont get this. Most of the major names are missing. You would have thought Fizz needed some practice after such a long time.

cnerd123

likes this
Tanvir looks a decent leggie. Not enough to play as a pure bowler, but if he can bat too then he's a potential asset.