• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2014/15

brockley

International Captain
Tasmania and Vics in race to sign Jake Doran,definitely we need to pay top dollar for him,time to sacrifice an average player for him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Meh, not sure he's worth paying lots for, from a state cricket perspective. If he does well he'll probably be fast tracked into international cricket, and if he doesn't do well the state he's at will probably be pressured to pick him despite that. I can't really see him being an enormous benefit to a state cricket side.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh, not sure he's worth paying lots for, from a state cricket perspective. If he does well he'll probably be fast tracked into international cricket, and if he doesn't do well the state he's at will probably be pressured to pick him despite that. I can't really see him being an enormous benefit to a state cricket side.
no way nsw risks losing another future test player to tassie though.

brockley

International Captain
If it was Rohrer or Doran,i'd sack Rohrer done nothing the last few seasons,and Doran the future,but its bad the other states are chasing an 18 year old with a big cheque book,remember when QLD lost Shane Watson to Tasmania they we're livid.

Spikey

Rohrer doesn't really clean up a position. this was essentially the team for this season

1. Carters
2. Henry
3. Patterson
4. Maddinson
5. henriques
6. nev

Henry can go, but y'all expect him to be replaced with Cowan, so that's no spot freed there. I'm sure ideally NSW would like Nevill to replace Haddin after the Ashes, opening up a spot for Doran, but NSW/Doran can't rely on that happening. So it's drop Patterson..? One thing in NSW's favour, I suppose, is that it's not like Doran's gonna be hid down the order if he does play (Cue Henriques batting 4 next season)

the other thing is what the hell do we do if watson loses his test spots but hangs around nsw + the shield.

brockley

International Captain
I would have Doran as a back up opener back up keeper.Maybe give him a one day spot.
Spikey you are forgetting Cooper could come back to after he is sacked by the Redbacks(can't have 2 poms in a side).
Hopefully Watson will retire after he gets the sack or goes back to QLD.
Hopefully Cummins and Hazelwood get a national contract,would sack Josh Lalor done nothing the last 3/4 years and give Harry Conway a contract.May give Nathan Sowter a rookie contract cause he has been playing 2nd xl for Middlesex and NSW,good leggie prospect.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be going for:

Full deals:

Henry, Lalor, Hughes out. Cowan, Conway, Doran in.

Rookie contracts:
Pisel, Conway, Doran out. Pattison, Solway, A Quick in.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Jonte Pattison is the spin heir apparent for NSW IMO. And that still leaves Ayre (who didn't take as many wickets as he would have liked this year), Sowter and Fallins around in terms of <21-year-old tweakers. Probably a couple of others around as well.

As for the quick bowlers, they might elevate the Australian U/19s guy to it (Beckett or something), or they might go for someone else in the 21-22 age bracket. Daya Singh is apparently quick and made his 2nd XI debut last year, Mickey Edwards impressed in Sixers training. Nick McLachlan topped the Grade wicket takers table I believe. No real shortage of choice there.

And they really need to hurry up and give a Solway a contract.

Spikey

and you leave my boi lalor alone

I would have Doran as a back up opener back up keeper.Maybe give him a one day spot.
Spikey you are forgetting Cooper could come back to after he is sacked by the Redbacks(can't have 2 poms in a side).
Hopefully Watson will retire after he gets the sack or goes back to QLD.
Hopefully Cummins and Hazelwood get a national contract,would sack Josh Lalor done nothing the last 3/4 years and give Harry Conway a contract.May give Nathan Sowter a rookie contract cause he has been playing 2nd xl for Middlesex and NSW,good leggie prospect.
I know NSW has expressed interest in bringing back the old NSW boys or whatever, but there's just no way Cooper makes sense, and really, non does moving to NSW for Cooper. (Incidentally, we still don't know if Cosgrove is coming back next season for SA. We assume, but...)

I'd be pretty surprised if Rohrer stayed on a contract. They could do a Dussey 2nd Xi coach/mentor type thing but I doubt he ever plays a shield game again so why contract him. My gut feel is they keep one of Hughes/Henry contracted.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I guess I could see them not contracting Rohrer if they do contract Cowan, but if they don't give Ed a deal then I think they've gotta keep the Postman around for the sake of having some actual experience around the squad. It becomes a very young, very inexperienced batting line-up if we put out:

1. Carters
2. Henry (Cowan)
3. Patterson
4. Maddinson
5. Doran
6. Henriques
7. Nevill +

If you slot Ed in there, I can see the logic, but even then Rohrer's next cab off the rank IMO. There aren't many viable options stacking up the runs in Grade Cricket and Henry kinda sucks. Rohrer > Henry and Hughes. Give him a contract!

Also, it seems a bit dickish of CNSW to drop him considering he had that head injury, worked his arse off to come back, and made a huge double ton when he did.

Actually, I think CNSW will have another slot open up if Cummins gets a CA deal -- so they can keep Rohrer AND Scooter!

I'd be going with:

Full: 1. Carters, 2. Cowan, 3. Patterson, 4. Maddinson, 5. Doran, 6. Henriques, 7. Nevill, 8. Abbott, 9. O'Keefe, 10. Sandhu, 11. Bollinger, 12. Rohrer, 13. Copeland, 14. Conway, 15. Henry/Hughes

Rookie: 16. Dwarshuis, 17. Pattison, 18. Solway, 19. A Quick

CA: 20. Warner, 21. Smith, 22. Watson, 23. Clarke, 24. Haddin, 25. Hazlewood, 26. Starc, 27. Cummins, 28. Lyon.

brockley

International Captain
Best solution is to make him 2nd xl assistant coach,he can play 2nds and play the One dayers.But don't give him a contract.I agree with this idea.
Would be between Daniel Hughes and Henry for a contract,no place for Larken tho.
Its going to be a tough selectors meeting i can say that again.
Victoria are primed they likely to lose Hussey and Rogers,so they have money to burn.
Tasmania look like they are desperate will sign anyone.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Premier Cricket with a stream of the 1st XI game on their website. Not a bad job of it, although no replays sorted out till late in the day.

Ringwood 6/210 with "CRICKET SUPERSTAR" Ian Holland getting a ton, after day 1.