• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2014/15

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The same articles come out this time every year, especially when #2 looks like they might beat #1.
it's the reverse isnt it? They come out because it's always the same type of match, #2 almost never looks like winning

I doubt they'll get rid of the shield final. But I will say I don't think they can 'fix' the shield final. It's either stay the course or chop it. Provided with a test match like pitch and a team that only needs to secure a draw, the first placed team should be able to get the draw 9/10. The one team to struggle with this in the last few years happens to be probably the worst shield winning team in that time (Qld in 11/12)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
it's the reverse isnt it? They come out because it's always the same type of match, #2 almost never looks like winning

I doubt they'll get rid of the shield final. But I will say I don't think they can 'fix' the shield final. It's either stay the course or chop it. Provided with a test match like pitch and a team that only needs to secure a draw, the first placed team should be able to get the draw 9/10. The one team to struggle with this in the last few years happens to be probably the worst shield winning team in that time (Qld in 11/12)
#2 looks good against #1 -- #1 did it all year and now #2 looks like they might beat them, it's so unfair!!!
#1 looks good against #2 -- #1 are #1 for a reason and will always beat #2, so why do we even bother?!?

Spikey

#2 looks good against #1 feels more like a BBL argument to me. Again, in the past 10 years almost no #2 team has really been in the final so that argument has barely had an opportunity to surface. I suppose if #2 winning was a regular thing it might occur

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, that's a fair point. Home sides do kinda produce roads and play for draws in Shield finals. Queensland made 900 in one FFS!

Midwinter

State Captain
Regarding the final

It could dropped and revert back to the traditional team with most points wins

Or
Play it to a finish, like all test matches in Australia prior to the Second War

I reckon keep it

If No 2 is good enough they will win.

Spikey

Timeless match isnt possible. If the match is drawn, there's no winner, is perhaps the most radical they could feasibly get

Top_Cat

Criticisms of the final being **** for spectators and a waste of time are probably valid but I'd guess that the players value it a lot and it often provides a solid pointer of who'll be a Test player. So I reckon it'll stay for sure.

Riggins

International Captain
I actually think that since Australia are so ****ing **** at batting for the draw in Test matches then getting more practice at it is probably a good thing.

ajdude

International Coach
Timeless match isnt possible. If the match is drawn, there's no winner, is perhaps the most radical they could feasibly get
if there's no winner then having south australia win would surely be reason enough to try and win.