• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2014/15

cnerd123

likes this
Yea banning or restricting the short ball is stupid. There is no need for a knee jerk reaction based on an isolated incident.

Cricket is a dangerous sport at times and this incident is on the extreme far end of the spectrum of injuries you could get. It is exceedingly rare.

Helmet designs should be looked into, but something like this is not commonplace and I doubt we will see another incident like this in our lifetimes. There isn't much to learn from an incident like this and nothing needs to be changed because of it. It's just tragic, thats all.

Spark

Global Moderator
meanwhile.

Jen Browning @jen_browning
A spokesperson for St Vincent's hospital says Phillip Hughes' condition is unchanged. Aust Captain Michael Clarke was back here at 6am

this is so, so ****ed.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
meanwhile.

Jen Browning @jen_browning
A spokesperson for St Vincent's hospital says Phillip Hughes' condition is unchanged. Aust Captain Michael Clarke was back here at 6am

this is so, so ****ed.
Should we have been expecting something by now? I don't know a lot about head injuries but I would have hoped there'd be some sign of change given we're coming up on 48 hours now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're all different, these types of injuries and there are people who lay in coma for ages then end up making a substantial, if not full, recovery. My (albeit lay but reasonably well informed given the type of work I do) understanding is if there isn't some sign of his condition improving within 48-72 hours, the prognosis is usually pretty grim. Obviously that's a generalisation, but as a doctor friend of mine said last evening, if they try to bring him out of the coma after a certain amount of time and he remains unresponsive then

I really don't want to type the rest of it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Should we have been expecting something by now? I don't know a lot about head injuries but I would have hoped there'd be some sign of change given we're coming up on 48 hours now.
Are there many similarites to Schumachers injury? I dont even know the latest on Schu, but yeah, no news is not very good news.

Blocky

Banned
Are there many similarites to Schumachers injury? I dont even know the latest on Schu, but yeah, no news is not very good news.
I'd say Schumacher had the worser end of it - he hit an immovable object at speed so there was absolutely no give, he was also in the mountains and did not have access to instant medical care like Hughes had.

I'm hoping this is more like the case with Jesse Ryder where he was in an induced coma for three days after being beaten up by two attackers. But they won't know until they bring him out of the coma and see how he responds the level of injury he's sustained.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
On the bouncer front I think its fair to push a batsman back. Guys like Watto will play front foot pulls and cuts ad nauseum if you don't push them back.

From what I understand Hughes was not hit in the helmet. So just a bad freak piece of luck. I so hope he comes through.

brockley

International Captain
I wouldn't be surprised if there brain damage,thats why i am not hopeful.
This season gone for Hughes i think,long rehab if he survives.

Schumacker has not recovered well from his accident,thats what i heard,Phil Simmons is an optimistic case.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Alan Jones is saying it's much more serious than was being reported, apparently he isn't breathing on his own and has a machine breathing for him. Sounds pretty bad.

Ruckus

International Captain
This is so, so tragic. I'm a bit baffled by why it took almost an hour for Hughes to reach St Vincent's when the SCG is only about 1.5ks away. Was he needing to be stabilised or something before they were willing to transport him? Surely with injuries like these timing is everything. Really hope Jones is overstating the severity of it.

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
Just went to our clubs sponsor pub for lunch after a round and all the red backs/torrens boys were there. Straight away hit me right in the feels, all clearly devastated but banding together for Phil.