• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
In a way, I'm not disappointed that Bangladesh couldn't win a match in New Zealand. If the #1 team can't then who can. It seems in the main formats, most teams are struggling away from home. No dominant side in the sport today.

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did anyone notice that this was the eight consecutive home series win for Kiwis and seven consecutive match loss in ODIs for Aussies.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Did anyone notice that this was the eight consecutive home series win for Kiwis and seven consecutive match loss in ODIs for Aussies.
Huh?? Where do you get that from?? They just beat Pakistan 4-1 in their last series and beat the Kiwis 3 zip series before that.

thierry henry

International Coach
Perhaps because "JAMODI" series (a BS CWism which I despise, but whatever) tend to be only see as meaningful to the host country?

e.g. NZ playing Australia in NZ during 2 long weekends basically guarantees good, excitable crowds and therefore the contests innately take on some significance to the local audience. We were watching closely and therefore would have been pissed off if we lost. The Pakistan v Australia ODIs seem to have been followed more closely by the Aussie posters on CW even though from a pure cricketing perspective that doesn't really make sense to me since NZ are probably a better ODI side and certainly likely to be more competitive in NZ/Aus conditions. However, it makes sense because the games are being played in people's home towns and/or are prominently featured in convenient TV time slots, so while they are not life and death contests it just makes sense to watch them.

I confess that overseas ODI series for NZ, even against decent opposition, can sometimes be a bit forgettable.

I guess in summary the lack of "vibe" in this thread should primarily be blamed on the NZ posters. I was very disappointed to read through this thread and honestly couldn't even find one post congratulating Taylor on his century. We shouldn't need engaged and excited Aussies in here to trade barbs with for us to be excited about our home summer of cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I guess in summary the lack of "vibe" in this thread should primarily be blamed on the NZ posters. I was very disappointed to read through this thread and honestly couldn't even find one post congratulating Taylor on his century.
Haha, I just came in here to do exactly this. Didn't see much of the Cricket on sunday, but it looks like Taylor produced one of his very best ODI innings - an attractive, fluid hundred against probably the best ODI bowling attack in the world. It's fantastic that he's bouncing back so well from his eye surgery as the team has badly missed his ability to play aggressive, match-turning innings in both tests and ODI's over the last 6 months.

Spark

Global Moderator
Perhaps because "JAMODI" series (a BS CWism which I despise, but whatever) tend to be only see as meaningful to the host country?

e.g. NZ playing Australia in NZ during 2 long weekends basically guarantees good, excitable crowds and therefore the contests innately take on some significance to the local audience. We were watching closely and therefore would have been pissed off if we lost. The Pakistan v Australia ODIs seem to have been followed more closely by the Aussie posters on CW even though from a pure cricketing perspective that doesn't really make sense to me since NZ are probably a better ODI side and certainly likely to be more competitive in NZ/Aus conditions. However, it makes sense because the games are being played in people's home towns and/or are prominently featured in convenient TV time slots, so while they are not life and death contests it just makes sense to watch them.

I confess that overseas ODI series for NZ, even against decent opposition, can sometimes be a bit forgettable.

I guess in summary the lack of "vibe" in this thread should primarily be blamed on the NZ posters. I was very disappointed to read through this thread and honestly couldn't even find one post congratulating Taylor on his century. We shouldn't need engaged and excited Aussies in here to trade barbs with for us to be excited about our home summer of cricket.
I don't know if this is a sign that people were particularly interested; I personally found that series one of the least engaging in recent memory.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's been enormous CW interest in the England/India white ball series, even the T20s, so don't think the lack of interest in NZ/Aus is anything to do with the forum declining.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't know if this is a sign that people were particularly interested; I personally found that series one of the least engaging in recent memory.
Yep that's exactly my point- on paper it didn't appeal as a particularly enthralling series and I don't think anyone really WAS enthralled by it, yet it certainly attracted more attention from Aussie CWers than the much better and more competitive series in NZ. There are various reasons for that, I'm just postulating that one of them is that JAMODI series generally are just barely interesting enough to pay attention to when they are at home but not enough to do so when they are away from home.

BeeGee

International Captain
Haha, I just came in here to do exactly this. Didn't see much of the Cricket on sunday, but it looks like Taylor produced one of his very best ODI innings - an attractive, fluid hundred against probably the best ODI bowling attack in the world. It's fantastic that he's bouncing back so well from his eye surgery as the team has badly missed his ability to play aggressive, match-turning innings in both tests and ODI's over the last 6 months.
He also took a really difficult slips catch, which is encouraging given his poor catching form recently.

thierry henry

International Coach
Ultimately I may just be talking to myself here, but I'm responding to a theme of posts this season from NZers who seem miffed that Australia don't care much about playing us.

Basically, we shouldn't care whether or not they care, we should just enjoy our cricket, enjoy winning and enjoy posting (the latter being the most important thing in life obv).

Zinzan

He also took a really difficult slips catch, which is encouraging given his poor catching form recently.
Did drop a couple of really sharp chances too if we're being balanced about it. One where he was frankly just too slow to move.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reasons why Aussies didn't care as much about the underarm/wanker trophy:

1) It was not on FTA
2) Everyone was back at work
3) It was missing our top 2 bats
4) The first game was on ridiculously early
5) The second game was a disgrace

Zinzan

Ultimately I may just be talking to myself here, but I'm responding to a theme of posts this season from NZers who seem miffed that Australia don't care much about playing us.

Basically, we shouldn't care whether or not they care, we should just enjoy our cricket, enjoy winning and enjoy posting (the latter being the most important thing in life obv).
I don't think making the observation follows that anyone is miffed tbh. It seems you might be miffed at the perception that kiwi posters are miffed when I don't think they are at all, unless I missed something :p

I posted about the lack of interest on Sunday's game when there were about 2 posts in the first 30 minutes of the match, but I only did so as a factual statement, not a rant or a cry, and as a contrast to the incredible interest the Eng/India white ball series has be getting.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't think making the observation follows that anyone is miffed tbh. It seems you might be miffed at the perception that kiwi posters are miffed when I don't think they are at all, unless I missed something :p

I posted about the lack of interest on Sunday's game when there were about 2 posts in the first 30 minutes of the match, but I only did so as a factual statement, not a rant or a cry, and as a contrast to the incredible interest the Eng/India white ball series has be getting.
Not accusing you of crying at all, more that the relative lack of posts from our Kiwi contingent combined with a theme of posts during both the series in Australia and the series in NZ regarding Aussie care-factor, was in itself a form of "crying" imo. Almost like because the Aussies didn't care and weren't in here posting, that we had to feign an air of cool detachment from proceedings. I've seen more Kiwi enthusiasm/actual game analysis and interest in the result for T20s against Bangladesh. We shoulda been in here getting pumped up cos we were beating the dirty cheating bastard Australians, whether or not they cared about it. CMON BOIS FIRE UP etc

But anyway, I've already made too many posts about posting and am becoming part of the problem now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno about other people, but I think the demographic amongst NZ fans on this site is moving steadily older and, for myself, weekday matches tend to be followed at work while weekend matches I watch in between young kids, family, friends, stuff. I saw quite a lot of Sunday's game however it's difficult to watch extended stretches or actually sit down long enough to post something (worthwhile). I try to focus the limited cricket-watching time in my calendar on the series I really want to watch, and as much as playing Australia in ODIs is good, this summer the focus is the SA tests first and the Pakistan tests second.

If quite a few others are finding this too then it does reduce the level of posting. Need more uni students etc, they have heaps of free time right ;).

_Ed_

Need more uni students etc, they have heaps of free time right ;).
Those were the days - watching entire ODIs in the student bar. Nostalgic sigh.

Anyway, I unfortunately missed Sunday's game because we had friends visiting from Auckland. I had to be content with the occasional sneaky glance at Cricinfo on my phone. Watched the highlights yesterday, but by that point there wasn't too much point in sharing my thoughts here.

Zinzan

Not accusing you of crying at all, more that the relative lack of posts from our Kiwi contingent combined with a theme of posts during both the series in Australia and the series in NZ regarding Aussie care-factor, was in itself a form of "crying" imo. Almost like because the Aussies didn't care and weren't in here posting, that we had to feign an air of cool detachment from proceedings. I've seen more Kiwi enthusiasm/actual game analysis and interest in the result for T20s against Bangladesh. We shoulda been in here getting pumped up cos we were beating the dirty cheating bastard Australians, whether or not they cared about it. CMON BOIS FIRE UP etc
Lol, This is all well & good, but where were you the other day when I was posting to myself in here in the first 20 minutes or so? :p

I would be surprised in any of the Kiwi posters really adopted the 'too cool for skool' mentality though and snubbed posting just because some of the aussies weren't interested.

Straw man has a point, the NZ contingent is getting a little longer in the tooth these days, and most who were enthusiast bubbly young 20 something year olds a decade ago, are now somewhat less bubbly & more cynical 30 something year olds. I'm sure a new wave of young Kiwis will come through the CW ranks in the not too distance future.

Last edited: