• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Southee has even a semblance of self pride and consideration for NZ cricket he'll retire after this his 100th Test, & in retrospect the milestone might be why they didn't drop him after his pitiful South African series when he was far and away our worst and least effective bowler.

I suspect he will following his recent comments in the media about being accountable for his bowling results.

I do like the prospect of Henry, Jamieson, O'Rourke, Sears, Ferguson, Smith, & Duffy as NZ's 6-7 pacers for the next 2 years or so leading up to 2026/27 4 Tests in Australia

Btw how good is Hazelwood.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If Southee has even a semblance of self pride and consideration for NZ cricket he'll retire after this 100th Test.

And I suspect he will following his recent comments in the media about having being accountable for his bowling results.

I do like the prospect of Henry, Jamieson, O'Rourke, Sears, Ferguson, Smith, & Duffy as NZ's 6-7 pacers for the next 2 years or so leading up to 2026/27 4 Tests in Australia

Don't forget Fisher and Foulkes. NZ pace stocks looking very healthy despite the dross that's getting dished up for the national side.

King Kane

International Debutant
At least we are still in the game with those 4 wickets but we will need to clean up the Aussie lower order quicker than the first test to stay in the game.

Wonder where Brendan Julian does his retail shopping. Looks great
He married into money so he could shop at the high end of town even without his commentary money.

He also has contacts with the higher ups at Fox which explains why he keeps getting commentary gigs despite being a dud commentator.

Zinzan

At least we are still in the game with those 4 wickets but we will need to clean up the Aussie lower order quicker than the first test to stay in the game.
Hate to be that guy, but I think it's much more likely Australia win by an innings here. Can easily see them getting 320+ from here and rolling us in the 2nd dig for 150ish.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think NZ will make some runs in the second innings. Unlikely to be enough unless Australia lollapse tomorrow morning, but the sun is drying the surface out pretty quick, I think there's a good chance batting is pretty easy on days 2 and 3.

Ghost75

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If Southee has even a semblance of self pride and consideration for NZ cricket he'll retire after this his 100th Test, & in retrospect the milestone might be why they didn't drop him after his pitiful South African series when he was far and away our worst and least effective bowler.

I suspect he will following his recent comments in the media about being accountable for his bowling results.

Nah Southee won’t retire as he wants Hadlee’s record. The rate he’s going should only take another 50-60 tests

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think NZ will make some runs in the second innings. Unlikely to be enough unless Australia lollapse tomorrow morning, but the sun is drying the surface out pretty quick, I think there's a good chance batting is pretty easy on days 2 and 3.
It wouldn’t matter if it’s the roadyish McRoad of all-time, this shot batting lineup is not making 200 against Australia.

The same batting lineup would have made 535-4 dec against Sri Lanka today, little Tommy Latham filling his boots.

_Ed_

This series has been bad enough as it is, but imagine how we might have fared without Henry. Jeez.

King Kane

International Debutant
Hate to be that guy, but I think it's much more likely Australia win by an innings here. Can easily see them getting 320+ from here and rolling us in the 2nd dig for 150ish.
That's probably what will happen.

We need a Hobart style comeback where we scored 150 in the first innings and still managed to win that test due to a great spell from Doug Bracewell.

_Ed_

That's probably what will happen.

We need a Hobart style comeback where we scored 150 in the first innings and still managed to win that test due to a great spell from Doug Bracewell.

I feel like Doug would have been a better choice for this test than Kuggeleijn.

But then again, I think any other NZ first-class cricketer would have been.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel like Doug would have been a better choice for this test than Kuggeleijn.
Not that I'm prone to exaggeration, but following his boundary fielding at the Basin, I'm inclined to believe that a dump just on the inside of the boundary rope might be a better choice than the SP.

Zinzan

I see Henry's got his career bowling average down to 33, remembering it was mid-40s after his first dozen matches.

Underrated bat too, been near Test bowling all-rounder standard over the last 3 years.

1709880722529.png

Zinzan

Wasnt this supposed to be a flat wicket?
Wicket looked fine from what I saw, not totally flat since there was variable bounce and some seam but overall looked a good batting wicket.

Some excellent bowling & utterly rank batting made it look otherwise.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Wicket looked fine from what I saw, not totally flat since there was variable bounce and some seam but overall looked a good batting wicket.

Some excellent bowling & utterly rank batting made it look otherwise.
Watched till around 60/1 and definitely agree with the first bit. While the openers needed a bit of luck, a far cry from the conditions at the Basin. Sounds like a vintage Hazlewood effort, but the batting now has a worrying tendency to crumble when pressure is properly applied.