• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I've heard of preparing excuses beforehand but this is bordering on the ridiculous
Some opinions might be a bit pessimistic but we don't share the Aussie psyche of 'hey look I fell in a barrel of dicks but I bet I'll find a boob in here somewhere'. We're a nation of realists.

We're rightly unsure about our bowling because some of it is toothless and the batting at its peak is world class, but currently outside Kane and Mitchell (who wasnt hitting it great before he had a break) are out of touch or Ravindra who is early days.

That's just us being real.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But I expect us to compete well. I think Henry will bowl well at a team going harder at him, Kane will score runs because he's a champion, O'Rourke will go well, Rachin will get at least one score, Mitchell plays big in the big moments and I think Phillips will play aggressive cameos as well.

That might be enough to push them all the way.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Henry becomes an enormously important bowler in the absence of Jamieson. We all know he's a different proposition if he's bowling in mid-130s rather than flat 130km/h, and he was the latter in the second SA test. Need him sharp and taking wickets, as Southee and Santner will mostly just hold up an end.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, its kuggs for jamieson now.

Makes sense. He's over the desriable age for NZC. 30+
Yerk.

I don't love it. In cricketing terms it makes sense, and the *** assault case was a long time ago so you can argue time to move on, but he never faced any real consequences and NZ cricket never addressed any of it, so it's just sat there festering.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I hate seeing the rapist in squads, atleast he's somewhat earned it, unlike the England call up. Took poles vs aus-A in Australia and was one of the leading wicket takers in the early stage of the PS pre Bangladesh tour.

Jezroy

State Captain
Still not 100% behind Kuggs being in the squad. Doesn’t feel great.

But my brain always wonders how people here, myself, the cricketing public, and the general public would react if he turned up and won a test series against the Aussies with a set of barnstorming all round performances.

it would be a massively interesting social and moral experiment.

I’d also really like us to beat Australia in a test series.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
New Zealand squad for two tests against Australia: Tim Southee (c), Tom Blundell (wk), Devon Conway, Matt Henry, Scott Kuggeleijn, Tom Latham, Daryl Mitchell, Will O’Rourke, Glenn Phillips, Rachin Ravindra, Mitchell Santner, Neil Wagner, Kane Williamson, Will Young.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
What's Scott's bowling speeds the last time we saw him clocked? (Yes the New Zealand poster obsession with the speed gun)

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
I would put Scott in and hope to get by on Rachin and Phillips for their spin again which will be risky but worth the gamble.

7 Phillips
8 Kuggs
9 Henry
10 S6theee
11 O'Rourke

Has Young done enough in the 4th innings at Seddon to challenge for Phillips's spot and bat number 6? Probably Glenn's bowling saves him especially if they do go with Scott at 8.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
The big selection will be Santner vs Kuggs at number 8

Scott FC batting average 27.22 FC bowling average 30.90
Santner FC batting average 30.61 FC bowling average 41.29

Match 1 location Basin Reserve
Match 2 location Christchurch

I hope they pick Scott.

I spotted this on cricinfo - hopefully this explains the NZ realism is not pessimism

Head To HeadLAST 5 MATCHES
Winner Team FlagAustralia won by 279 runs
03-Jan-2020

Winner Team FlagAustralia won by 247 runs
26-Dec-2019

Winner Team FlagAustralia won by 296 runs
12-Dec-2019

Winner Team FlagAustralia won by 7 wickets
20-Feb-2016

Winner Team FlagAustralia won by an innings and 52 runs
12-Feb-2016

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Also on a side note we should have voted in a new flag. The similarity between the NZ and Aussie flag is strong. too strong.

T20s begin this Wednesday. I give us a chance of a boil over in those moreso than the tests.

Unleash our pace attack !!!!