• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
The Voges-Bracewell-Illingworth 239 Shield.
Nah just have the umpires name to highlight that **** call.
Picking an moment of infamy as the sporting trophy's name is most apt given how controversy plagued the rivalry has been

a) Under arm bowl game
b) Greg Dwyer catch
c) Alan Border punching Tim Zoehrer in the face for calling a NZ batsman back
d) Merv Hughes spitting on Greatbatch
e) The Austalian slip cordon making train noises after Chris Cairns' sister was killed by a train
f) Adam Voges being saved by a no ball when it wasn't a no ball
g) Mitchell Johnson head butting Scott Styris
h) Brad Haddin's send offs in the 2015 World Cup final

To be honest nothing really extraordinary to see in that list as Australia has a similar list of controversy with every major team it has played against in the last 50 years.

NZ by contrast won the ICC spirit of cricket award every year until they got sick of giving it to us. My understanding is that not only has Australia never won it but their name has been permanently struck from the ballot sheet after getting zero votes for twenty years in a row.

Last edited:

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Nobody on this website can pull that off
I also Daemon find it intriguing he used a 9/10 girl rather than a 10/10 girl in his example. He must have decided it was unrealistic any of us would ever get a date with a 10/10 so he decided after careful calculation he would make it sound more conceivable by listing that she was 9/10.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
e) The Austalian slip cordon making train noises after Chris Cairns' sister was killed by a train
I call BS on all of the above and you just lost a fan hoping NZ pull off an upset.

Go Australia, 2-0 thrashing now please

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
I call BS on all of the above and you just lost a fan hoping NZ pull off an upset.

Go Australia, 2-0 thrashing now please
Your questioning my honour sir as a cricket fan by suggesting I made those up??
All good as all is just trans tasman banter

Here is the footage though of the Johnson Head Butt

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Your questioning my honour sir as a cricket fan by suggesting I made those up??
All good as all is just trans tasman banter

Here is the footage though of the Johnson Head Butt
Geez, Johnson slowly puts his bare forehead against Stryis's helmet. If that's what Kiwi's call a head butt then you lot need to toughen up (only proves your other claims are untrue or exagerated)

You're quoting false media stories as truth.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Picking an moment of infamy as the sporting trophy's name is most apt given how controversy plagued the rivalry has been

a) Under arm bowl game
b) Greg Dwyer catch

To be honest nothing really extraordinary to see in that list as Australia has a similar list of controversy with every major team it has played against in the last 50 years.

NZ by contrast won the ICC spirit of cricket award every year until they got sick of giving it to us. My understanding is that not only has Australia never won it but their name has been permanently struck from the ballot sheet after getting zero votes for twenty years in a row.

Re (e) Cairns has actually said that never happened and (g) was just funny as Styris was wearing a helmet.

Didn't know sbout the Border punch story.

Also Ian Chappell had a major crack at Glenn Turner and lost the plot when Turner got 100s in both innings to beat the Aussies.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Never heard of it either. And I'm of an age to remember every perceived injustice from the 1980s .

Last edited:

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Geez, Johnson slowly puts his bare forehead against Stryis's helmet. If that's what Kiwi's call a head butt then you lot need to toughen up (only proves your other claims are untrue or exagerated)

You're quoting false media stories as truth.
All good eho (Eho is the Te Reo work for Friend)

I appreciate you giving it back to me. Good stuff. That's the whole goal to have a bit of a stir in the thread. Every previous trans tasman test series we had a great time with the Aussies giving stick to each other back and forth.
Australia is our big brother country and we love to get a boil over against you. We are still dining out on Hobart 2011.

You will thrash us 2-0 in the tests make no mistake about it as we don't have the bowling to penetrate your batting line up apart from KJ. He will get a bagful each inning but go unsupported at the other end.

We are just warming up on the banter. Much more to come. LOL.

As for Googling Tim Zoehrer getting punched in the face. You should be able to google somewhere that he called a NZ batsman back for spilling a catch only two games after he was the replacement for the dishonest Dwyer.
I have no idea if Alan Border really punched Zoehrer in the face. What I can report is that although the aussies were in the field Zoehrer didn't take the field the next day after the no catch and recalled the new zealander. They said he had a stomach bug if I recall correctly then showed up to the press conference that night with a black eye and said he had been spoken to in the dressing room after he called the Kiwi batsman back and the journalists asked him no further questions and it panned away to someone else. So I don't really know if Border punched him. He could have tripped over and fallen face first into a closed door for all I know. Lets go with that version of the truth instead - Tim Zoehrer walked into a closed door and got a black eye by accident after calling a NZ batsman back in a test.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
I appreciate you giving it back to me. Good stuff. That's the whole goal to have a bit of a stir in the thread. Every previous trans tasman test series we had a great time with the Aussies giving stick to each other back and forth.
Australia is our big brother country and we love to get a boil over against you. We are still dining out on Hobart 2011.

We are just warming up on the banter. Much more to come. LOL.
Well you turned me from being an Aussie supporting NZ hoping you pull off an upset to being a die-hard Aussie supporter hoping you get thrashed 2-0. Well done!

Last edited:

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Well you turned me from being a NZ suporter hoping you pull off an upset to being a die-hard Aussie supporter hoping you get thrashed 2-0. Well done!
View me as the desperate old man I am. We have no hope of winning on the field so I have resorted to claiming the moral high ground as that is all that is left for us to win at. LOL. All is good.

New Zealand FWIW has done two things I am not proud of while I have been a fan. Kyle Mills stood over and physcially intimidated Faf. That was bull**** behaviour and he was rightly fined after the match.
I was never a fan of the Brendon McCullum run out when Murali I think it was walked down the wicket to shake his partners hand on getting a century before the ball had settled in the keepers gloves so BMac ran him out. I didn't think either of those incidents were in the spirit of cricket or the way that New Zealand prides itself on playing.

On a serious note about the cricket on all the past tours that were two tests long Australia had one bad inning out of their 4 innings. If we can lull them into falling asleep at the wheel in the first innings of the first test and get jammy in that game then maybe the series gets interesting. There will be some good cricket to watch and some good sub plots to watch unfold.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

a) Under arm bowl game
b) Greg Dwyer catch

That's not even scratching the surface, there was also:
i) Lance Cairns intimidatory bowling call vs Jim Higgs
j) Nathan Lyon hot spot
k) Steve Waugh and Gillespie caught behinds Perth 01
l) Chris Cairns elite bowling Langer plum Daryl Harper denial
m) Haddin stump demolishment vs Neil Broom

I'm sure there's more lol

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
That's not even scratching the surface, there was also:
i) Lance Cairns intimidatory bowling call vs Jim Higgs
j) Nathan Lyon hot spot
k) Steve Waugh and Gillespie caught behinds Perth 01
l) Chris Cairns elite bowling Langer plum Daryl Harper denial
m) Haddin stump demolishment vs Neil Broom

I'm sure there's more lol
Danny Morrison lbw call not given out against McDermott to win a famous test. Danny collapsed in the middle of the pitch afterwards stunned that it was not given. This was in the days before neutral umpires. Playing against Australia in Australia was brutal and comical at times before the days of neutral umpires. It wasn't the Pakistani home umpires who were an issue it was the Aussie umpires. England on the other hand had home umpires that either picked on England to prove they weren't biased or just were fair to a fault.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
"Hadlee's a Wanker" was an infamous Aussie chant of the 1980's. We didn't mean it as he was just too good for our bats so had to do something to put him off (didn't work)

Now thinking chant well deserved for "hurricane2" and 'The Hut Rec'