• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Flem274*

123/5
What a joke of a country
But enough about Australia

Looking forward to the cheating Aussies arriving at near mcg sized Hagley without any giant stands to orient themselves, just miles of green grass (another rarity across the ditch) and racist boomers everywhere (so they should feel right at home).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, just watching the highlights, and first thing I hear is Josh inglis being referred to as "jingles". Like, how do you even manage to **** his name up in that way.
"Ingalls" seems to be a common (though inexplicable to my mind) pronunciation of that surname. From there it's obvious.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
"Ingalls" seems to be a common (though inexplicable to my mind) pronunciation of that surname. From there it's obvious.
Having said that, he's been called In-gliss for all his 20 ODIs and 20 T20Is, which McMillan should have taken some passing interest in. And done his preparation. It's indicative of the lack of professionalism at times - the great Richie Benaud never mispronounced a name, or if he did, it was a slip of the tongue.

Neil Brand was Brunt, Brant, Brand, Braant, Braaaant, Bruuunt and anything else over the last couple of weeks.

Gnske

I remember before the 2019 Ashes that Mark Waugh must have had half a dozen pronunciations for Labuschagne.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just watched some highlights. Were they playing on a kids' ground or something? Not real cricket IMO
Highlights for me really showed exactly how much Macca says "swung away." Should probably be even more of a meme than "straight up" (although he got two of those in as well).

Chubb

International Regular
I remember before the 2019 Ashes that Mark Waugh must have had half a dozen pronunciations for Labuschagne.
An Afrikaner friend of mine tells me it is supposed to be Laboo-skag-nuh. He's betrayed his heritage.

Gnske

Sure beats Bumble going 'WALLOP'

Of course being from Yorkshire he probably used that as a child during some ethnic beatdowns too. Macca's doing alright.

social

tbf he doesn’t watch local cricket so couldn’t pick him out of a lineup let alone pronounce his name

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What a joke of a country
Rugby grounds double as cricket grounds for the limited over stuff in Auckland and Wellington. Christchurch, Dunedin, Hamilton have their own cricket oval shaped arena's while Wellington has the Basin (a cricket shaped oval) for test match cricket, and Sky Stadium (dual Rugby/Cricket ground).

Hope that helps, it's quite a nice country - lol

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Highlights for me really showed exactly how much Macca says "swung away." Should probably be even more of a meme than "straight up" (although he got two of those in as well).
It's been my bugbear all summer, more than straight up. Straight up partially makes sense even if he's factually incorrect about the trajectory of the ball, it's at least a semi-apt description

Swung away just makes no ****ing sense at all. Is he talking about a play and miss? No. Is he talking about a bowler, swinging it away from the batsman? No, he's talking about a batsmen hitting the ball.

I can only assume his cheese cutter is too tight and stopping blood getting to the part of the brain where the word "struck" and has to substitute it with "swung". It's probably also in the same region of the brain that can recognise whether or not something is travelling more up then, say, arced at a lower degree straight to the crowd.