• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Hayden returning home it's almost a guarantee that Hopes will open the batting. He'll probably be partnered by Shaun Marsh or Michael Clarke. Might draft Watson into the squad with Hayden out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What are Cosgrove's chances? Or left field and Michael Dighton?
Well extremely slim in both cases.

Someone like Cosgrove had a pretty bad domestic season, basically no SACA bats will be in the Aussie team for a while. Dighton is not Australian material so he'd be down the list a fair bit.

If Australia are going to draft in a player, like Wright said, it's very likely to be one of the stars of the IPL, either Marsh or Watson, considering both can open, are in form and have Cricket Australia contracts.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well extremely slim in both cases.
Errr, so to speak!

Someone like Cosgrove had a pretty bad domestic season, basically no SACA bats will be in the Aussie team for a while. Dighton is not Australian material so he'd be down the list a fair bit.
Yup. The fact he didn't even try to enter the IPL players pool tells you a lot too. Quality bat, just needs a massive kick up his (massive) backside.

If Australia are going to draft in a player, like Wright said, it's very likely to be one of the stars of the IPL, either Marsh or Watson, considering both can open, are in form and have Cricket Australia contracts.
Pommie Basher would surely be in the mix too? Anyway, I believe Marsh would be the man most likely. Watson opening in ODI's = no. Need a real opener.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he isn't in the squad, Sangakkara seems to think he is. He mentioned that Marsh(y) would be flying out to the Caribbean for the ODI series. So it's either an awesome vacation or an awesome call up. The squad has definitely been named. Was named with the Test squad, IIRC.

Mister Wright

I was going to say that but thought it possible the final squad hadn't been announced yet. Anyone with insight?
Marsh was selected in the inital squad. Given his recent performances in the IPL I think he will be given first shot to open the batting with Hopes. Also, given Watson's strong performances in the IPL I think he will also be drafted into the squad. Meaning Dave Hussey might miss out on a spot.

Possible side:

Hopes
Marsh
Ponting (c)
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Haddin (wk)
Lee
Johnson
Bracken
Clark

Or Watson in for Clark.

Could also open with Watson and bring White in at no. 8.

This is of course assuming that Watson is drafted in.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Watson is totally unproven at Test level. He should not slot into the numer 5 spot. Not when he's being picked as an allrounder, which he should be.
If Watson makes it near the Test side soon, which he really shouldn't and probably won't because of injury, it'll be as a batsman who can bowl a bit, definately not as an all-rounder.

It means Hodge to stay in the squad. Katich is already in the squad so they'll both be there.
Indeed, both are staying with the squad. Most likely Katich will keep opening with the other possible option Huseey opening, although this is unlikely. Clarke will slot right back into his regular number five position.

What are Cosgrove's chances? Or left field and Michael Dighton?
Neither are anywhere near. Too fat (and out of form) and too old.

I was going to say that but thought it possible the final squad hadn't been announced yet. Anyone with insight?
Marsh has indeed been named in the squad and would be opening regardless of Hayden's injury. So now we need someone to open with him. I'd prefer Clarke, but most likely it'll be Hopes or remotely possibly Haddin or Jaques if he's called into the squad. Guess they could call in Watto, but I'd prefer it if he didn't open.

EDIT: Looks like Wright has covered quite a bit of this.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Pick an offspinner for the Test who has dominated this domestic season. Bowl him on day one against some of the best batsmen in the world, then for 3 overs on day four. Drop him immediately after. Wonderful policy by the selectors. No wonder we're winning Tests these days.
Tbf, you have won quite a few Tests lately. :ph34r:
He has a point. A guy who has done all that in the build up to being selected should not be discarded cos one batsman decided to go after him in one innings. Its just plain too fickle.
Have hear dthe argument that Gayle provides offies and since the pitch will be flat Benn will be in for accuracy and generally just keeping it there without much variation.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If he isn't in the squad, Sangakkara seems to think he is. He mentioned that Marsh(y) would be flying out to the Caribbean for the ODI series. So it's either an awesome vacation or an awesome call up. The squad has definitely been named. Was named with the Test squad, IIRC.
My mistake, I wasn't aware that he was in the squad. Good on em!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Marsh was selected in the inital squad. Given his recent performances in the IPL I think he will be given first shot to open the batting with Hopes. Also, given Watson's strong performances in the IPL I think he will also be drafted into the squad. Meaning Dave Hussey might miss out on a spot.

Possible side:

Hopes
Marsh
Ponting (c)
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Haddin (wk)
Lee
Johnson
Bracken
Clark

Or Watson in for Clark.

Could also open with Watson and bring White in at no. 8.

This is of course assuming that Watson is drafted in.
Given that that seems a sensible side, and it has the normal amount of bowling options for an Aussie ODI team, why are the two spare players in the squad (White, D Hussey) batsmen? You'd think given that Bracken is recovering from injury and yet to prove fitness in any matches, the replacement for Hayden needs to be a bowler!

Mister Wright

Given that that seems a sensible side, and it has the normal amount of bowling options for an Aussie ODI team, why are the two spare players in the squad (White, D Hussey) batsmen? You'd think given that Bracken is recovering from injury and yet to prove fitness in any matches, the replacement for Hayden needs to be a bowler!
Are you forgetting that Watson bowls?

Mister Wright

Lol. no, I'm remembering that he isn't in the squad!

And besides, does he warrant his place as a number 8 assuming he has to play instead of an injured bowler?
Not sure what the First choice XI would be if Watson were drafted in. Who knows they may not call someone in, or they may go with someone else. They may prefer a bowling allrounder such as Ashley Noffke.