• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to say, really. While he knows a lot about his game already, there's certainly nothing stopping someone so young from making some technical adjustments over time, which I think could do him a lot of good.

I will say though that if he reaches his potential with the ball then it probably won't even matter as he'll be in the side anyway. As I alluded to in the previous post though he's a lot further away from bowling ceiling than his batting ceiling at the moment.
Found the conversation on Smith to be insightful and fascinating to read -

I will respond to PEWS' post - at first I nodded my head when I read this - in part because you articulated your case so well. But after thinking about it I don't think he will amount to much as a bowler - I am willing to have one of those long term bets with you that his career bowling average will not end up beneath 35. I can see it around 40 maybe...

I am not a fan of his batting - and have made strong posts about his batting "style" in the past.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As far as young kids backing away goes - I used to do that even at 13. So my coach took some soft balls and through them at my legs until I conquered all fear.

There is a fantastic drill you can do to stop yourself from being afraid of being hit in the head.
if you lie on the ground another kid stands above you and drops (not throws) a ball at your head. Your natural reactions take over and you will always dodge the ball - the lesson is that if you keep your eyes on the ball you won't get hit by a bouncer.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly don't know how people can make prognostications about a player's career when he's played a couple of seasons of FC cricket and bugger-all Tests.

As I alluded to earlier, Benords was first picked for Australia on the basis of 26 FC wickets @ 50 with one 5-fer. Sounding familiar? Spent the next 5 years being the 4th/5th bowler (occasionally getting a trundle in the first dig) and batting 6/7 before he took his first Test 5-fer against a minnow, India, and his first against a significant opponent a year later. At least Smith had some good form with the bat in FC cricket to back up his selection for Australia; Benaud had one FC ton and was averaging about 30 before his first Test.

Now, you can't say, of course, that Smith is the next Benaud but the point is that it's still far too early to judge. He's picked a really hard road being a wrist-spinning all-rounder and it'll take time for him to start to really perform. But, as many of us have been saying for a while, he's got something special about him so it's now up to him to develop it but the raw ingredients are definitely there.

Xuhaib

International Coach
the beauty of the Australian cricket is if you have the ability more or less they guarantee you success there are exceptions like Tait and Blewett but generally you make it 9 times out of 10. Sometimes i wonder how Afridi would have went had he been born in to the Australian cricket system rekon he would have replicated what Benaud had done for the country.

uvelocity

International Coach
Now, you can't say, of course, that Smith is the next Benaud but the point is that it's still far too early to judge. He's picked a really hard road being a wrist-spinning all-rounder and it'll take time for him to start to really perform. But, as many of us have been saying for a while, he's got something special about him so it's now up to him to develop it but the raw ingredients are definitely there.
I'd pick you up on two points there, cat. Firstly I'd say you're assuming people are making decisions based on statistics alone, whereas myself, I just don't like the look of his play.

Secondly, I don't know the circumstances at the time of Benaud, but I'd say that at the moment the Australian team can ill afford a player who is the 4th/5th best bowler and the 6th/7th best batsman in the team.

Top_Cat

All of that is separate to the issue of whether he's going to be a successful Test cricketer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Found the conversation on Smith to be insightful and fascinating to read -

I will respond to PEWS' post - at first I nodded my head when I read this - in part because you articulated your case so well. But after thinking about it I don't think he will amount to much as a bowler - I am willing to have one of those long term bets with you that his career bowling average will not end up beneath 35. I can see it around 40 maybe...

I am not a fan of his batting - and have made strong posts about his batting "style" in the past.
Not willing to take a bet on it tbh because while I believe he has heaps of potential with the ball, scores of players fail to live up to their potential and he has a lot of work and learning to do before he even approaches it.

I agree with TC that it's realistically too early to tell much other than what his ceiling might be. But largely I'm just chickening out. :ph34r:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not willing to take a bet on it tbh because while I believe he has heaps of potential with the ball, scores of players fail to live up to their potential and he has a lot of work and learning to do before he even approaches it.

I agree with TC that it's realistically too early to tell much other than what his ceiling might be. But largely I'm just chickening out. :ph34r:
I think you should take the bet - I was watching some footage of him today - and he got one to rip past the outside edge quite nicely.

That was my major concern for him that he couldn't get the ball to bite. But if he can get it to hit the seam more often maybe there is hope for him. He must get he ball to turn otherwise he will be a Peter Sleep at this level.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I just can't really see Smith being a viable Test bowling option within the next 5 years. Especially if he continues to gain selection in the shorter formats.

He just wont get enough opportunities to bowl many overs in first class cricket especially now that SOK has been named captain so presumably he's going to feature in every match.

On a side note, I was really happy to read the report from the QLD vs Vic match where Boyce bowled well - Both Boyce and Smith are 22 years old, it will be interesting to see how their careers pan out.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just can't really see Smith being a viable Test bowling option within the next 5 years. Especially if he continues to gain selection in the shorter formats.

He just wont get enough opportunities to bowl many overs in first class cricket especially now that SOK has been named captain so presumably he's going to feature in every match.

On a side note, I was really happy to read the report from the QLD vs Vic match where Boyce bowled well - Both Boyce and Smith are 22 years old, it will be interesting to see how their careers pan out.
Boyce takes a lot of wickets cheaply in grade cricket, so it's only natural that he would have some success at the state level. He seems to be rated fairly highly as well by QLD cricket to get a spot above a 4th seamer at the Gabba.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Boyce looks like an old style leggie, doesn't have huge variations, but plugs away and plugs away, Peter Mcintyre in effect.

Top_Cat

I think you should take the bet - I was watching some footage of him today - and he got one to rip past the outside edge quite nicely.

That was my major concern for him that he couldn't get the ball to bite. But if he can get it to hit the seam more often maybe there is hope for him. He must get he ball to turn otherwise he will be a Peter Sleep at this level.
He can and has done so, just not doing it consistently yet. Some guys take longer to cook, especially when they're also trying to make their way as a top-7 batter.

Sleep's not a bad example of the type of player Smith could become if he does as Sleep did and try to establish himself more as a batting all-rounder (which he was never good enough with the willow to do). I do hope Smith keeps getting encouraged to spin up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Boyce takes a lot of wickets cheaply in grade cricket, so it's only natural that he would have some success at the state level. He seems to be rated fairly highly as well by QLD cricket to get a spot above a 4th seamer at the Gabba.
Injuries to some key quicks would have played a part in Boyce playing too. I'm happy with him in our team though especially when Hopes returns as he becomes the 4th seamer.

So much better having him in the team compared to say Daniel Doran!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have rated Smith ever since this ball, tbh. He's not going to be a world beater yet but give him time and I reckon he could well make something of himself, especially if himself, NSW and CA have an idea of what kind of player he's going to end up being.

Spikey

game starts at 11:30pm tonight

i look forward to sok and smith getting 2 overs in total and dussey 4

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How many overs do you want Smith to bowl Spikey? Agree that SOK should bowl more, no doubt he will tonight.

I put money on SA tonight - They are paying $2.02, Aus are at $1.79

Last edited:

Spikey

more than dussey tbh

but in reality i would like white - who now has a vote - to in futur point out he thinks dussey can do the job and so leave smith and sok at home to play in the shield and improve/put performances on the board and for this match to just play marsh instead of smith (but they'll play marsh in front of sok).

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Have rated Smith ever since this ball, tbh. He's not going to be a world beater yet but give him time and I reckon he could well make something of himself, especially if himself, NSW and CA have an idea of what kind of player he's going to end up being.
David Hussey was getting the ball to turn sideways in that match. But it's always good to see someone make Pollard look like an idiot.

The batting line-up looks kind of dodgy for the Aussies. I don't like the look of the back-end. Marsh for Watson seems a very unequal exchange. Who has Finch hacked off?