• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in South Africa Tests 2021

Dendarii

International Debutant
And yeah, I think Daemon and StephenZA are right. It is understandable that CA were not gonna risk it but why give CSA hope that they can do something about it when it seems nothing they ever did was gonna be enough. CSA has every right to be pissed at that part of what CA did.
It almost comes across like CA were hoping that CSA would find their demands too unreasonable so that they wouldn't look like the bad guys, but that backfired on them when they underestimated how much CSA were prepared to do to make sure the tour happens.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think this is key. While it's true that it was probable that the tour would've gone on without a hitch, the ramifications if it didn't could've been devastating politically/PR-wise. Especially given all the worries about the new strain coming out of South Africa.

I think CA were in a bit of a no-win situation. Stay in and you run the risk of carrying the virus back towards Australia and the public fuming (let's face it Australia have been very precious regarding the virus). Pull out and you look like ****s. I think given that things are starting to reopen in South Africa and the bubble was very biosecure I think CA should've taken the risk, but I can see why CA would think otherwise.

Realistically though they should've said no ages ago if they didn't think the tour was worth it. It probably would've still had a backlash but at least it's not an awkward backflip.

The other question is would they tour India if they were in the same boat virus wise. I cannot honestly say the answer would've been no. At the very least, I think Australia would've pulled out all stops to ensure it went ahead, whereas I don't think they necessarily did here.
CA finances were rescued by Indian tour

Payback was rescheduling of IPL

SA tour does nothing for CA

Money talks

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
truth is if the australian cricket setup (specifically the coach and the batsmen, the bowlers seem like pretty solid dudes) were members of the general public doing what they did in public more than one would have learned to enjoy hospital food.
This is just not true lmao.

Bahseph

State Captain
As someone living in South Africa I can attest to how uncomfortable I feel going to work and any public place at the moment. Yes our infection numbers have decreased but they are only looking better in relation to the chaos at the beginning of the year. I don't think anyone from SA disagrees with CA wanting to keep their team and country safe.

The annoyance definitely comes from the fact that that CSA jumped through hoops with their arrangements. CA being more upfront would have been preferred,but I don't think we can begrudge a last minute cancellation in this climate. We just have to go with it and hope the tour is rescheduled sometime this year (unlikely).

As for the 2018 tour,it is known that CSA are generally an unpopular bunch amongst the cricket fans in this country. The Warner comments were in very poor taste but that whole series was a mess. From the CSA board, the fans and both sets of players.

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
As someone living in South Africa I can attest to how uncomfortable I feel going to work and any public place at the moment. Yes our infection numbers have decreased but they are only looking better in relation to the chaos at the beginning of the year. I don't think anyone from SA disagrees with CA wanting to keep their team and country safe.

The annoyance definitely comes from the fact that that CSA jumped through hoops with their arrangements. CA being more upfront would have been preferred,but I don't think we can begrudge a last minute cancellation in this climate. We just have to go with it and hope the tour is rescheduled sometime this year (unlikely).

As for the 2018 tour,it is known that CSA are generally an unpopular bunch amongst the cricket fans in this country. The Warner comments were in very poor taste but that whole series was a mess. Form the CSA board, the fans and both sets of players.
I disagree in parts, that Australian team and its coaching staff thought they could bully people and get away with it, so when people started standing up to them then its wrong all of a sudden

Stefan9

International Debutant

As for the 2018 tour,it is known that CSA are generally an unpopular bunch amongst the cricket fans in this country. The Warner comments were in very poor taste but that whole series was a mess. From the CSA board, the fans and both sets of players.
The hypocrisy is the issue. You can't claim you feel unsafe touring SA and the smaller nations but have no problems touring the UK and sending players to the IPL where the covid virus is just as big a problem.

As for 2018 Aus and Warner in particular chickens came home to roost. Their poor behavior over years were given back. Totally deserved it.

Stefan9

International Debutant
There's still almost 36000 new infections in South Africa in the last week alone. That's about 35999 more than Australia has had. It's understandable that Australia wants to keep its players safe, particularly if lockdown are easing in spite of such a high infection rate.

And how much have those numbers been under estimated due to infections in townships?
The situation is worse in India Will players safety matter when it comes to IPL or is everything fine to tour...If AUS is putting player safety as nr 1 then the only country they can justify touring is NZ.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I don't think Candice Warner was part of that group dishing out the poor behaviour though
She knew what person David is before she married him and her past behavior is hardly a secret or saintly.
Don't want people to target you for it, don't do the deed.

the big bambino

International Captain
It’s the sort of take that informs the behaviour of SA cricket from their fans to their players and board. They don’t have the character to check it or review it and what makes them so hated.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
She knew what person David is before she married him and her past behavior is hardly a secret or saintly.
wow

If this is the attitude of South African fans I feel a lot better about CA cancelling the Test series on them

Heboric

International Debutant
wow

If this is the attitude of South African fans I feel a lot better about CA cancelling the Test series on them
True, I base my opinion of Australians based on one cretin who threw cooked chicken at Pat Symox back in the day :wacko: :wacko:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Aussie team's culture of bullying has been around since the days of Steve Waugh and it just went up a notch under Ponting and basically #crossedtheline. They went back a few notches once McWarne retired but once Lehmann came back and Smith turned worldbeater with the bat, they kinda went even worse than those guys under Ponting. And it was always the classic bully-coward thing too, they hated when someone talked back and ran to the officials every time that happened too, and the whole "we know where the line is" nonsense as well.

But none of that makes the disgraceful stuff around Warner's wife acceptable. Its one thing for teams to give it back on the field but the spectators attacking family members of players was disgusting to say the least. Unfortunately, crowds around the world have sometimes been like that recently. It is not an RSA problem alone. Players may have to start setting better examples.

Spark

Global Moderator
So your position, to be clear, is that marrying an opposition cricketer you don't like makes someone fair game for misogynist abuse?

I wonder if this general approach to life is replicated in your own personal life dealings. I doubt it, somehow.