• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I somehow picked it up as a Burgey-ism on here (as in I can recall one instance of him using the term). I hope it doesn't catch on, it's awful. Although nothing is as bad as 'shape' for swing.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
While Rabada is on the sidelines, can we not set up another Lee/Morgan scenario? Possible candidates : Trump, Berlusconi or maybe Mugabe :ph34r:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of Lyon, he was quite disappointing in the last test match. Perhaps the Saffas are more proactive and attacking, but he was just bowling way too short

A case needs to be made for Cummins to bowl more overs with the new rock as well. Seems to be a tad underused at the moment

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I somehow picked it up as a Burgey-ism on here (as in I can recall one instance of him using the term). I hope it doesn't catch on, it's awful. Although nothing is as bad as 'shape' for swing.
No this isn't one of mine. It's a pretty widely held piece of vernacular though. I don't think I use it that much, but I'm sure I have from time to time.

cnerd123

likes this
Speaking of Lyon, he was quite disappointing in the last test match. Perhaps the Saffas are more proactive and attacking, but he was just bowling way too short

A case needs to be made for Cummins to bowl more overs with the new rock as well. Seems to be a tad underused at the moment
Using the word 'rock' for ball is akin to pole for wickets IMO

Starfighter

I've always wondered what was wrong with 'ball' and 'wicket' myself. Are they too boring or something? Certainly I hate it when commentators use those terms.

cnerd123

likes this
I've always wondered what was wrong with 'ball' and 'wicket' myself. Are they too boring or something? Certainly I hate it when commentators use those terms.
Professional cricketers get paid to become professional media personalities overnight with no training or experience, and then suddenly think they're actually very clever and try to make up their own phrases and words for things.

Like, you were the star and people tuned in to watch you when you were a player. You're no longer the star. Take a back seat and just call the action stop trying to draw attention to yourself, no one is tuning in to listen to you commentate.

stephen

Cricket thesaurus:

Ball: cherry, pill, rock, nut
Wicket: pole
Bat: stick
5 wicket haul: Michelle
Hit well: tonked, carted, creamed, middled, bludgeoned
Great ball: jaffa, peach

Things "wicket" can mean.
The pitch.
A batsman's innings/dismissal.