• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What complete and utter garbage, especially from the country that gave the world Swann. Absolutely not a thing wrong with the AB runout, no malicious intent from Garry whatsoever
Arrrrgh. Mate I havent even seen the AB runout so my comment had nothing to do with that incident specifically. And what has Graeme Swann got to do with it?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Is everyone here agreeing in arguementive prose. I think everyone has said the rule sucks and Rabada is awesome but dumb. So let's talk cricket again. How good was his 11?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Arrrrgh. Mate I havent even seen the AB runout so my comment had nothing to do with that incident specifically. And what has Graeme Swann got to do with it?
If you haven't even seen very much of the game, why are you even commenting on it in the first place?

Anyway back on topic, I agree that it is unfortunate that Rabada will not feature in the rest of his series. Regardless of what you think of his punishment it is unfortunate to see a truly world class fast bowler not in action for the rest of the series

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If you haven't even seen very much of the game, why are you even commenting on it in the first place?

Anyway back on topic, I agree that it is unfortunate that Rabada will not feature in the rest of his series. Regardless of what you think of his punishment it is unfortunate to see a truly world class fast bowler not in action for the rest of the series
Jesus ****ing Christ.....for real??

I wasn't commentating on the game, I mentioned that Lyon who used to be such a quiet lad with never any sort of drama around him now seems to be becoming a bit of a **** with plenty surrounding him. Why are you getting your knickers in a knot over that?

And really whats the go with bringing Swann into it?...."X player is a dick"........."how can you dare say that when you had Y player that was a dick"

Derrrr........it really is possible that they are both dicks mate, and the fact that one of them is my dick should not disqualify me from calling out your dick. Savvy??

GRAB

First Class Debutant
I think the rules are fine, but their application isn't applied to all players all the time, so this leaves a feeling of distaste when they are applied... As an example stated above, Kohli was screaming at all the players every wicket, and nothing happened... Heck, even Steyn seems to have gotten away with a lot of aggressive send offs in his time, and only occasionally received censure.

Addendum rules are fine, except Breach of Logo policy relating to cricket bat is considered the same as "Attempt to Manipulate a Match"? Surely that last is level 4 not 2??? *****.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
As much as I'd like to see this, it's not very likely. He was pretty mediocre in the India series as well.
The thing is, Morne's career is long periods of consistent ordinariness with occasional unplayable spells when he decides to pitch it up a tad and the pitch suits him...

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the rules are fine, but their application isn't applied to all players all the time, so this leaves a feeling of distaste when they are applied... As an example stated above, Kohli was screaming at all the players every wicket, and nothing happened... Heck, even Steyn seems to have gotten away with a lot of aggressive send offs in his time, and only occasionally received censure.
These examples to me are just further demonstration that the rules are anything but fine.

Like, I think Kohli is a dick when he celebrates like that, but imagine thinking he could be potentially banned for it. What a farce.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. I have no idea what makes curbing celebrations a good idea, esp wrt the passion with which the game is played on the field. A lot of great performances come from being angry and fired up. It's a pretty worthwhile tradeoff (in so much as it is a tradeoff) to have players go berserk after getting the wicket or the century or whatever.

Starfighter

Considering that a lot of great cricket performances occurred when a wicket celebration meant shaking hands and getting a pat on the back, I strongly repudiate the idea that doing an imitation of a rabid dog adds anything at all to the game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Considering that a lot of great cricket performances occurred when a wicket celebration meant shaking hands and getting a pat on the back, I strongly repudiate the idea that doing an imitation of a rabid dog adds anything at all to the game.
It's not the 1960s anymore. Times change.

cnerd123

likes this
My point is more that the quality of the cricket will stand on its own, and in my opinion the idea that immature celebrations somehow improve it is misguided.
That is true, but the broader point behind Harsh's point is that why try to police cricketer's behaviours at all? We don't force guys like Pujara and Rahane to be aggressive and in the opposition's faces, why force a Rabada or Kohli to be the opposite? Just let them express who they are. That's what the whole point of sport is after all. Stop trying to draw arbitrary lines in the sand and heavy hand athletes to behave in a way you deem to be 'acceptable'. Stop treating something that is essentially entertainment as though it is some 9-5 corporate job.

If no one gets hurt and nothing offensive is said, then let the players be. There is nothing wrong with a little bit of anger and disrespect every now and then. It's just human nature.

harsh.ag

My point is more that the quality of the cricket will stand on its own, and in my opinion the idea that immature celebrations somehow improve it is misguided.
No one said it improves the quality of cricket. It may come as a result of being fired up, which sometimes improves cricket.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wahab's spell in the 2015 World Cup springs to mind. **** that was compelling to watch.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That is true, but the broader point behind Harsh's point is that why try to police cricketer's behaviours at all? We don't force guys like Pujara and Rahane to be aggressive and in the opposition's faces, why force a Rabada or Kohli to be the opposite? Just let them express who they are. That's what the whole point of sport is after all. Stop trying to draw arbitrary lines in the sand and heavy hand athletes to behave in a way you deem to be 'acceptable'. Stop treating something that is essentially entertainment as though it is some 9-5 corporate job.

If no one gets hurt and nothing offensive is said, then let the players be. There is nothing wrong with a little bit of anger and disrespect every now and then. It's just human nature.
But that's the crucks of the problem, who decides what is offensive? Quite often that is left to the player who gets sledged/abused and his reaction rather than having, a simple line which is an almost impossible creation. If Steve Smith had not even worried about that shoulder touch then the umpires would have probably just left it alone. If Warner had not been screaming at QDK and just walked away at Durban, then QDK would probably not have been charged. If you are going to charge somebody with something, then charge everybody consistently all the time. If QDK gets charged with sledging, then everybody that sledged on the field in Durban should and must get charged.