• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in New Zealand

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know you're out of the country, but it's obvious you didn't watch Beard in the domestic Twenty20s. He was tossing them up with plenty of air and getting the rewards.
Was extremely impressed with what I saw of Beard in a couple of those T20's games, especially given the pitches were hardly conducive to spin.

Sadly though, I get the distinct impression that the selectors will have a predisposition against playing two left-arm slow's, regardless of how well Beard does. Hope I'm wrong, because Beard seems to be a better 'spinning' prospect than NcCullum or Patel from the short glimpses I've seen

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Williamson, 19, has been in irresistible form in the Plunket Shield this summer, and will replace the injured Daryl Tuffey. Allrounder James Franklin has also been included in the squad.
From cricinfo

It is Williamson against Franklin for Tuffey's spot if you believe cricinfo.

My money is on Franklin as Vettori said he didn't want to shift down a spot in the batting order and 8 is too low for Williamson.

Who knows what they will do however.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fascinating bit of indecision here from the selectors. Franklin would always have been the most obvious replacement for Tuffey to bat at 8, but it's taken until now for him to be called into a large 14-man squad. Got the impression from the ODIs that Vettori is perhaps a little sick of Franklin's struggles and that seemed to be confirmed when they called up Williamson. But now a change of heart perhaps. Have NFI what the team is going to be now; a batsman light or a bowler light and we look very unbalanced, while going for a bob each way with Franklin doesn't really appeal either. As other's have said, Vettori seems to be losing patience with Southee too, but I can't see them dropping him for Patel and playing Franklin as a third seamer. Uggg. Tuffey getting injured after all the other injury problems this summer is a big ****ing joke.

Think I'm in a minority when I say Ingram should play this match over Sinclair. It'd only be his third test match and you need to give someone new a chance to prove themselves. Yes I'd love Sinclair to surprise us all but think Ingram is just as likely to slash/edge some runs for us. I guess if we're desperate for overs Skippy has been doing a bit of bowling, so that might count for him.

As others have said, we were always going to lose so this series for us is mainly about individual players putting up their hands and proving themselves. That innings could be the making of Tim McIntosh IMO, though it's a pity he didn't push on to get the hundred. Also judging by previous series that will be his one score of the series - he needs to reverse that trend and score a few this match as well to cement his place. Also hugely impressed with McCullum scoring runs when it counted for a change. Have thought for a little while that he seems to be playing more of these innings and handling pressure better, and that hundred seems to prove it. Not impressed however with ideas of giving up the gloves. He'll be forced to bat in the top 3 and I can see him struggling there, while a few decent ODI & 2020 innings haven't convinced me about Hopkins yet. I know McCullum has dodgy knees but I'd hope he'd continue to wicketkeep in tests for as long as possible.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Also, batting either Williamson or Vettori at 8 is a terrible idea. Especially with the world's worst 9,10,11 to follow - they'd be stranded on 15* every second match. It's a tricky spot because of the incompetence with the bat of those three, but it must be McCullum or Franklin (if he plays) who bats there. Or (cringe) Patel.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Think I'm in a minority when I say Ingram should play this match over Sinclair. It'd only be his third test match and you need to give someone new a chance to prove themselves. Yes I'd love Sinclair to surprise us all but think Ingram is just as likely to slash/edge some runs for us. I guess if we're desperate for overs Skippy has been doing a bit of bowling, so that might count for him.

Agree with the above. Ingram even though he has not been convincing so far deserves another shot. Otherwise we will be using his ODI performances to judge his test career which may or may not be fair. And even then he didn't get much of a run in the limited overs stuff (like Broom did)

I think this is his last chance to dance however. With that technique of his I don't think he deserves many chances.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Also, batting either Williamson or Vettori at 8 is a terrible idea. Especially with the world's worst 9,10,11 to follow - they'd be stranded on 15* every second match. It's a tricky spot because of the incompetence with the bat of those three, but it must be McCullum or Franklin (if he plays) who bats there. Or (cringe) Patel.
Under no circumstances will I accept Patel batting at 8. If he bats there Justin Vaughn will be getting a heated email from me.:ph34r:

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
His FC average of 30 in 15 innings is flattered by a good number of not-out's, but obviously he's no Chris Martin :happy:
More importantly, does he have a beard?

If he grows one, it will increase his chances of selection and will mean he will be awesome in my eyes.

cbuts

International Debutant
From what Greatbatch said this morning on the Radio the pitch has a shade of green so they brought Franklin in to bat at eight and play as the third seamer, meaning Patel will still play.
i kinda understood it to mean

1Mcintosh
2Watling
3Sinclair/Ingram
4Taylor
5Guptil
6Vetorri
7Mccullum
8Williamson/Franklin
9Southee
10Arnel
11Martin

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't give a **** about his batting as long as he becomes a better bowler. He can learn to bat properly in his mid-20s. We don't win matches with runs from the 9-10-11, we win by those players taking wickets.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
I don't give a **** about his batting as long as he becomes a better bowler. He can learn to bat properly in his mid-20s. We don't win matches with runs from the 9-10-11, we win by those players taking wickets.
Weird. I actually agree with you.