• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Hope McCullum is using all this time off to have a real good think about NZ's approach in this series. Will probably be the last test series against Australia for some time and really need to hit the ground running for this one.

Blanco

Cricket Spectator
so is there anyone here who'd be completely opposed to henriques over marsh if fit
Henriques is an inferior bowler though. I doubt he'd have much of an impact. If they're picking Henriques they're basically picking him to bowl a few tight overs. If that is what they need, they would consider Maxwell before him. Maxwell is a better bat than Henriques. Selectors want an all rounder who can be called apon in different situations: situations where they may be required to dry up the runs and other situations where they may be required to pick up wickets. When you consider that, Marsh is the best option by a mile, the only one who can do that is Faulkner but Marsh is a better batsman than him. Too early to drop Mitch Marsh imo. Marsh is the most talented all round that Australia has had in a long time. I have no doubt he will come good.

Compton

International Debutant
If Marsh doesn't score runs in NZ, how much longer does he get on the "but he's a really good batsman, honest" selection?

TNT

Banned
If Marsh doesn't score runs in NZ, how much longer does he get on the "but he's a really good batsman, honest" selection?
Its easy to write off Marsh at this stage, Flintoff at this age with the same amount of tests was averaging under 20 with the bat and over 40 with the ball. It takes nerves of steel to persist with a all rounder but the benefits are substantial.

Blanco

Cricket Spectator
Its easy to write off Marsh at this stage, Flintoff at this age with the same amount of tests was averaging under 20 with the bat and over 40 with the ball. It takes nerves of steel to persist with a all rounder but the benefits are substantial.
Well said, I would certainly persist with him as long as the top five bats are performing as a group and of course the team is winning. As I've said before I don't think selectors will drop him, well certainly not any time soon, regardless of what happens in New Zealand. If they were unsure of his place, i'm sure they would pick a back up all rounder in the squad. There is ofcourse the option of Neville 6 Marsh 7 down the line, that will be considered first before any consideration is made towards dropping him. The last odi the fact he batted at 3 means selectors want to give him every opportunity to grow. I think we often criticise selectors for lack of patience with young players, think so far with M. Marsh they've handle him really well.

Last edited:

dermo

if we lose in new zealand and marsh goes poorly, imo he'll almost certainly be dropped for maxwell for the next tour to sri lanka

Flem274*

123/5
decent chance of no taylor, boult is still bowling trash and no word on southee's fitness. this could be ugly.

...for australia when they still lose.

Spark

Global Moderator
if we lose in new zealand and marsh goes poorly, imo he'll almost certainly be dropped for maxwell for the next tour to sri lanka
Good chance he'll be dropped anyway even if neither of those things take place.

dermo

Good chance he'll be dropped anyway even if neither of those things take place.
it's certainly a chance but if he makes runs against nz I can't see him being dropped the next series after all the time that's been invested in him.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If New Zealand fail to win this series, their case towards being one of the top 3-4 sides in the world will lose a lot of ground. On the other hand, Australia will rightly be considered the best side.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
I don't think anyone is talking about writing him off. I'd rather him figuring out how to craft an innings in Shield or County cricket.

Australia needs a batting all-rounder for away series and bowling all-rounder for home series atm. I think Maxwell is more likely to help Australia win away than Marsh is right now.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
decent chance of no taylor, boult is still bowling trash and no word on southee's fitness. this could be ugly.

...for australia when they still lose.
latest on tim here (3 day old news)

Tim Southee to miss Chappell-Hadlee series but on track for Australia test | Stuff.co.nz

Ross more unsure than Tim:

The recommended recovery time for the injury makes it tight but not impossible he could fill the No 4 slot in the first of two tests against Australia in Wellington starting on February 12, less than three months on from his magnificent knock of 290 against them in Perth.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...akistan-Australia-ODI-series-with-side-strain

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My prioritised wishes for this series

1) A healthy and in form New Zealand to take the field.
2) Don Voges to fail splendidly so we can crow about it mercilessly long into the evening. I will personally start a Voges vs Dipak Patel in batting thread and a Voges vs Jeff Crowe thread.
3) Mitchell Marsh to fail so causing Australia selection issues and Glen Maxwell to be rushed in the 2nd test where Southee has him for breakfast in both innings.
4) The Boss to ton up
5) 5fers for Tim and Trent
6) NZ to win 2-0
7) Australia to be labelled FTBs
8) The Australian commentator who is flown over for the series to offer meek excuses.