• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India - ODIs

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am very happy with the over all selections. Dravid never should have been recalled and one can't help but feel sad for him to be treated in this manner but really, the way forward is the likes of Badrinath and Murali Vijay, not Dravid. Dravid wouldn't make the first XI any way now with Yuvraj and Sehwag back and Kohli, a youngster sitting on the bench is a better option than Dravid doing that.

Regarding the bowling, Tyagi impressed me a lot during the Challenger series and it is excellent to see him earn a place in the squad so soon. Munaf Patel has a very good career economy rate in ODIs and proved during the Challenger Trophy that he can bowl on the right spots. He still has it in him to be at least in the squad for ODIs.

Praveen Kumar should be a lock in for a first XI place given that he is a crafty bowler, can swing it, is very economical and can bat too. RP Singh is useless in subcontinental conditions and it is only fair that he has been shown the door.

Nayar was also treated harshly but really, he is a nothing all rounder who can neither bat, nor bowl that well. Yusuf Pathan needs to improve his bowling if he has to be in the frame and can't expect to be selected in despite his good hitting if he can't take a few wickets with the ball. Till then, Ravindra Jadeja is the better option.

My first XI to play in the first ODI would be as follows -

Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
Gautam Gambhir
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Suresh Raina
Ravindra Jadeja
Praveen Kumar
Harbhajan Singh
Amit Mishra
Ashish Nehra

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pretty disappointed with the selection of Holland tbh. Would have much preferred to see Krejza there, this seems like a defensive move, which could turn into a conceeding runs move.

Isura

U19 Captain
I don't understand the Nehra selection. I thought he was in the past. You won't find a worst combination of fielder and batsmen in world cricket. Truly useless selection imo.

I haven't seen much of Ravi Jadeja, but Yusuf isn't an all-rounder and dropping him seems fine. Sehwag can bowl part-time (or gasp.. Yuvraj or Raina) so they are ok for the 5th bowler.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This should be the team for the first two matches
  • Bench Kohli, Jadeja, Munaf and Ishant.
  • Sehwag and Sachin open. Gambhir doesn't come in to bat at three (first ODI in NZ, 2009 tour) unless there's an early wicket down.
  • The middle-order has Yuvraj, Dhoni and Raina.
  • Nehra and Tyagi open the bowling. Kumar runs through ten overs at a stretch in the middle.
  • Harbhajan and Mishra are the spin options.
  • The target as a fielding side is to restrict them for no more than 260. The bowlers at seven, eight and nine squeeze out a lot of singles while batting.
  • Alternatively, Jadeja plays ahead of Tyagi.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't understand the Nehra selection. I thought he was in the past. You won't find a worst combination of fielder and batsmen in world cricket. Truly useless selection imo.

I haven't seen much of Ravi Jadeja, but Yusuf isn't an all-rounder and dropping him seems fine. Sehwag can bowl part-time (or gasp.. Yuvraj or Raina) so they are ok for the 5th bowler.
That's Munaf- no use on the field or with the bat. Nehra's a better fielder, and he's the team's premier bowler on form, though one bad series can change that.

Yusuf is an all-rounder, but Dhoni's used him so badly, he's had to struggle. He's been completely mismanaged throughout the 30 ODIs (effectively 20) he's played. Jadeja's a lot worse- his bowling isn't good enough to compete with the top three spinners, while his batting has no power or urgency at all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
To those expressing suprise at Dravid's exclusion, with Sehwag and Yuvraj back from injury, where on earth do you fit Dravid in a top order that already contains Sehwag, Tendulkar, Gambhir, Yuvraj and Dhoni?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid's exclusion was fine, just like his re-call was fine.

He was chosen because of a lack of experience with Yuvraj and Sehwag injured, in what could have been tough batting conditions in the Champions Trophy.

At the end of the day, it didn't matter.

Let Dravid strut his stuff in the test arena. His time of being a very good ODI batsmen are behind him now. Sachin's are clearly not (to Pup 11).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dravid's exclusion was fine, just like his re-call was fine.

He was chosen because of a lack of experience with Yuvraj and Sehwag injured, in what could have been tough batting conditions in the Champions Trophy.

At the end of the day, it didn't matter.

Let Dravid strut his stuff in the test arena. His time of being a very good ODI batsmen are behind him now. Sachin's are clearly not (to Pup 11).
Yup, no issues with his recall - there was a major tournament to be won, and you pick your strongest line up. With Sehwag and Yuvraj succumbing to injury, picking Dravid made perfect sense.

The next 2 years are about building for the World Cup, with a top 6 that barring a massive loss of form shouldn't be getting changed about too much, it makes absolutely no sense to be picking Dravid when youngsters like Kohli could be getting precious experience for building in the post-Tendulkar era.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pretty disappointed with the selection of Holland tbh. Would have much preferred to see Krejza there, this seems like a defensive move, which could turn into a conceeding runs move.
But Krejza will definitely go for a lot of runs. I don't think you want that type of spinner in an ODI.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
But Krejza will definitely go for a lot of runs. I don't think you want that type of spinner in an ODI.
Lately, he's actually bowled very well in One Dayers, taking wickets and keeping the runs down. Hopefully he can back me up this weekend. :)

EDIT: This is the last match he's played. I feel that Holland is a bit too one-dimensional, and that by being a bit more defensive, he piles the pressure back on himself.

Krejza is actually a fantastic 20/20 bowler aswell ftr.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
I have a feeling that Nehra and Ishant will go for 6 runs per over against Australia. Praveen Kumar seems like the only economical option that India has.