• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That innings in NZ has to go alongside the Warner 200 as "great innings at the time that were long term negatives for Australian cricket". Worth his spot in T20s, but he has been dismal in ODIs and yet keeps getting picked over obviously better players.
This part bolded makes it far worse than that Warner 200 imo

Xix2565

International Debutant
Jadeja has a superior record against SA (avg of 19) as well as against 'right handers' in particular! So your claims are bad.

Ashwin averaged 60 in that series ffs. Took mere 3 wickets in 6 innings, though on seaming pitches with 'bounce'. Jadeja fares better without question. And he will show it this year. Not just as a batsman. And no one would be surprised. Just wait.

There's no chance Ashwin gets to play in SA again vs lineup dominated by right handers.
What Jadeja does in the future is in no way a guarantee of what he could've done in the past given the benefit of hindsight of the kinds of surfaces prepared by SA. I understand being upset about that series defeat but it's not crazy to suggest that Jadeja would be just as toothless given that the surfaces were heavily against spin and Maharaj was basically playing as a batter who helped the bowlers rotate more efficiently.

IcarianStyles

Cricket Spectator
That innings in NZ has to go alongside the Warner 200 as "great innings at the time that were long term negatives for Australian cricket". Worth his spot in T20s, but he has been dismal in ODIs and yet keeps getting picked over obviously better players.
Having said that, if warner isn't fit for today's ODI according to what @Burgey said, I would actually be fine with Stoinis being our opener for today's game only. I think Inglis is more suited in our middle order; basically the number 4 spot if Marnus fails to kick on this series.

Spark

Global Moderator
Having said that, if warner isn't fit for today's ODI according to what @Burgey said, I would actually be fine with Stoinis being our opener for today's game only. I think Inglis is more suited in our middle order; basically the number 4 spot if Marnus fails to kick on this series.
I'd much prefer to open with Smith tbh, with Green at 4. Particularly in the subcontinent, your best players should be at the top of the order.

centurymaker

International Captain
What Jadeja does in the future is in no way a guarantee of what he could've done in the past given the benefit of hindsight of the kinds of surfaces prepared by SA. I understand being upset about that series defeat but it's not crazy to suggest that Jadeja would be just as toothless given that the surfaces were heavily against spin and Maharaj was basically playing as a batter who helped the bowlers rotate more efficiently.
SA will prepare similar low scoring surfaces because it gives them the best chance of success against India.

IcarianStyles

Cricket Spectator
I'd much prefer to open with Smith tbh, with Green at 4. Particularly in the subcontinent, your best players should be at the top of the order.
Why? Smith's best ODI position statistically throughout his career is at 3. Don't know why you wanna move him out of that spot. Opening seems like recency bias based on his latest BBL stint

Spark

Global Moderator
Why? Smith's best ODI position statistically throughout his career is at 3. Don't know why you wanna move him out of that spot. Opening seems like recency bias based on his latest BBL stint
Obviously at full strength Warner would still be opening, on the hope that this washed-upedness in Tests hasn't infected his LO batting too, but like I said: the clear successful strategy for all the actually consistently good ODI teams post-2015 (i.e. not Australia) is to stack their top order with their best, most destructive batsmen. Especially in the subcontinent, where the new ball is actually often the best time to score quick boundaries, I think we should be following that philosophy too.

Xix2565

International Debutant
SA will prepare similar low scoring surfaces because it gives them the best chance of success against India.
Yeah, which is making spinners useless like everyone else does. Doesn't mean much about the quality of the Indian spinners in general unless we want to use the ****shows people put up in India to mark them down.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
According to cricinfo the XI is

1.Marsh
2.Head
3.Smith
4.Marnus
5.Inglis
6.Green
7.Maxwell
8.Stoinis
9.Abbott
10.Starc
11.Zampa

I'de assume green is actually at 8 and playing as a bowling allrounder/floater depending on situation like he did vs sri lanka and zimbabwe last year. Marsh opening with warner out feels weird since marsh probably bats 5 when everyone is fit anyway and inglis just made a 100 opening in ODI's, but not too fazed either way.

Stoinis playing on the other hand is a ****ing disgrace.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
absolutely. get Tim David in ASAP.
I honestly wouldn't mind david in the ODI setup if he strung a few 50 over games together. He's done well in the format when he's played it. If he can work on his bowling a bit he could be a perfect replacement for maxy.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guha is an absolute buffoon whose opinion deserves the least respect anyone can give. He was appointed by the SC to help run BCCI and ran away crying in just a month, after writing about how badly cricket was run in India (and connecting to politics) since 2012.

And its funny to see social act innocent when its clear why he posted the link in the first place. Even funnier when blatantly racist posts are allowed to get by coz they are "bait". The bane of CW.

Back to topic:

Our ODI team is just so hard to get excited about. Its so boring with no real backing of multi skilled players. :(
Lol

India v Australia thread

It’s an Indian talking about India

Stop being so precious