• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Keeping in England is pretty hard work by all reports. There’s often a decent amount of swing after the ball passes the bat. I’ve seen a lot of first choice/ high end keepers run into strife there in the past. Playing a part timer would be a heck of a risk imo

Burgey

My ideal ODI starting XI against India tonight:

1. Head
2. Warner
3. Smith
4. Labuschagne
5. Green
6. Carey
7. Maxwell
8. Abbott
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Ellis
Heard Warner is either out of the first game or in major doubt - didn’t get through a net session yesterday according to the radio this morning

Do like having five proper bowling options though with Maxwell and Head to bowl some part Part time stuff

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon agar over one of ellis/abbott tbh. Next WC is in india and agar is a gun whiteball spinner + strengthens the lower order/keeps it at the same level.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Keeping in England is pretty hard work by all reports. There’s often a decent amount of swing after the ball passes the bat. I’ve seen a lot of first choice/ high end keepers run into strife there in the past. Playing a part timer would be a heck of a risk imo
I think it is stupid but management may well take that call coz they love to fit him into the XI somehow.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Heard Warner is either out of the first game or in major doubt - didn’t get through a net session yesterday according to the radio this morning
Does inglis replace him at the top given his century in the marsh cup final opening or does marnus/green have a go at the top?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Would Jadeja get in ahead of Ashwin where one spinner will be played these days given India's batting isn't what it used to be? Ashwin no slouch obviously, but Jadeja is a better batsman by a fair margin.
Is this redball or whiteball? Redball india have prefered jaddu at 7 and 4 pacers when both are fully fit, not 100% on whiteball.

Burgey

Does inglis replace him at the top given his century in the marsh cup final opening or does marnus/green have a go at the top?
Smith might open and MMarsh to three. Gives another bowling option too, assuming it’s one of the three weeks a year Marsh is fit to bowl

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I meant for tests
Yeah jaddu is 100% prefered then. India don't have a pace bowling allrounder good enough to bat 7 with hardik not redball fit and ashwin at 7 in SENA in major nosebleeds with the lack of batting amongst most on india's pacers.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think India is ****ed in the keeping department. Given that Bharat was really struggling with the after-swing in the recent tests, I have big doubts about his keeping in English conditions. I reckon he will drop a catch at least. Let's see. They will monitor him in training and if he struggles then I am sure they will go with their buddy Rahul, who will be worse but a better bat.

Does Rahul keep for his IPL team like he does for the Indian team in LO?

Xix2565

International Debutant
Ashwin is a great bowler but there's no doubt he has benefited (along with Jadeja) more than any other Indian bowler in history (pitches + Drs).

And I still can't get over his poor performances in South Africa in 2021/22 where he was struggling to pick up any wickets at all when India needed him most. I honestly think he partly cost us that series so my opinion of Ashwin has come down.

And I also believe that if Jadeja had been fit, he'd have clearly out performed him with both ball & bat and taken India to a series win or much closer to a series win! Ashwin simply couldn't dismiss their right handers whatsoever (they had just 1 leftie in the top 6 iirc). It was hugely disappointing notwithstanding the Elgar drs saga. And with the bat too Ashwin wasn't great except 1 innings.

WTC Final defeat doesn't sting although when India loses to Australia too then 2 back to back defeats might seem bad. Even the defeat in the 5th Test against England is okay. But this one was just unacceptable. Rohit missing the series due to injury, Jadeja missing. Siraj breaking down in 2nd Test.. Rahul having to captain India in 2nd Test in place of Kohli. Ashwin being ineffective ... all put together cost India the series. Prior to that I was totally supportive of his inclusion ahead of Jadeja in away tours especially in the England tour in 2021. But after this SA tour, I came to realise why the team management had been picking Jadeja over him. In certain away conditions and against certain lineups, Ashwin might be better but more often than not Jadeja is a better fit overseas.

(although I wouldn't mind seeing both play together as they really complement).

And I maintain that Ashwin wouldn't be averging any better than 27-28 in previous decades. 15% change in average is reasonable given that average score in India has probably fallen by A LOT more.
There's no proof that past Indian bowlers would perform up to the same level given the current playing field either. Sorry but this is just reaching for nothing.

You do realise spinners did jack and **** in SA that series? Rabada/Jansen/Ngidi were the main forces that saw SA to victory, blaming Ashwin for not being a 140+ kph seamer who gets good bounce is idiotic. If Jadeja was fit he'd still run into the same issues lol, with his only advantage being a better batter than Ashwin. This level of nitpicking is just nonsense really, should have no place in any sensible fan's head.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I think it is stupid but management may well take that call coz they love to fit him into the XI somehow.
The management didn't start Kishan in Tests when they could, I'm really not sure why you think they'll fit in KL in England. There's speculation and then there's just Gambhiring for nothing.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no proof that past Indian bowlers would perform up to the same level given the current playing field either. Sorry but this is just reaching for nothing.

You do realise spinners did jack and **** in SA that series? Rabada/Jansen/Ngidi were the main forces that saw SA to victory, blaming Ashwin for not being a 140+ kph seamer who gets good bounce is idiotic. If Jadeja was fit he'd still run into the same issues lol, with his only advantage being a better batter than Ashwin. This level of nitpicking is just nonsense really, should have no place in any sensible fan's head.
Jadeja has a superior record against SA (avg of 19) as well as against 'right handers' in particular! So your claims are bad.

Ashwin averaged 60 in that series ffs. Took mere 3 wickets in 6 innings, though on seaming pitches with 'bounce'. Jadeja fares better without question. And he will show it this year. Not just as a batsman. And no one would be surprised. Just wait.

There's no chance Ashwin gets to play in SA again vs lineup dominated by right handers.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's actually legit nasty that Stoinis is still in our ODI squad. Has been absolute dreadful for the last few years.
That innings in NZ has to go alongside the Warner 200 as "great innings at the time that were long term negatives for Australian cricket". Worth his spot in T20s, but he has been dismal in ODIs and yet keeps getting picked over obviously better players.