• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Why have we stopped? @centurymaker please continue, this is a safe space
Yeah why not :p

I thought Aus and NZ lost the plot completely towards the end in their handling of covid.

It made sense to introduce lockdowns and have quarantine systems in place, but then in the 2nd year they went way too far by banning all flights from certain nations (like India) and even banning ALL CITIZENS from returning from those nations, even though Aus and NZ had a full fledged 14 day isolation system in place with regular covid testing. It was illegal to ban citizens (against NZ law). And they actually had no way to return, it had become impossible to leave India/Pakistan/SL/Nepal as travel routes between these nations and Aus/Nz were all blocked. People had started going to maldives to spend 15 days outside the subcontinent to become eligible to fly back but even such routes were quickly gone!

To block citizens just because they happened to be in a country (India) where covid had taken off all of a sudden and they were obviously desperate to return with proper quarantine (self paid) and testing and yet all such individuals were banned from returning. Same policies were never applied on UK and the USA which had FAR more deaths (and covid cases) than India --months prior as well as months later!

It was partly racism and I called out our Prime Minister at the time and Chris Hipkins (who was covid minister and is the PM now) responded back to me (I can share the e-letter he wrote to me) but it wasn't enough!!

And I got NZ Hearld involved to put the heat on the labour government! They published a full article on what I shared and they published other articles as well.

And 1-2 days after ban, our PM Jacinda Ardern at the time had to endure tough questioning from media and very quickly we saw her retract certain statements and that they were looking to "remove it as soon as possible" but they still took a month, leaving numerous people in dire situations! I cannot forgive the labour government. Also for how they treated NZ'ers post-vaccination (banning/firing them from all sorts of jobs for not being vaccinated). Certain jobs it made sense but a blanket ban was outrageous.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Gill
Rohit
Kohli
Kishan/SKY
Rahul (wk)
Pandya
Jadeja/Axar
Washy/Axar
Kuldeep
Siraj
Shami/Malik

I want Ishan Kishan as an opener or as No.3 but I doubt they would move Kohli down to no.4

Axar's batting has improved a lot so he has to be tried at least. And his bowling is suited to LO.

I don't have faith in Chahal anymore. And I am not sure if Sundar has played any good innings in ODI cricket batting down the order?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Gill
Rohit
Kohli
Kishan/SKY
Rahul (wk)
Pandya
Jadeja/Axar
Washy/Axar
Kuldeep
Siraj
Shami/Malik

I want Ishan Kishan as an opener or as No.3 but I doubt they would move Kohli down to no.4

Axar's batting has improved a lot so he has to be tried at least. And his bowling is suited to LO.

I don't have faith in Chahal anymore. And I am not sure if Sundar has played any good innings in ODI cricket batting down the order?
Rohit is out of the first game, kishan will open 100%. Question is sky or patidar for the #4 spot.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Guha is an absolute buffoon whose opinion deserves the least respect anyone can give. He was appointed by the SC to help run BCCI and ran away crying in just a month, after writing about how badly cricket was run in India (and connecting to politics) since 2012.

And its funny to see social act innocent when its clear why he posted the link in the first place. Even funnier when blatantly racist posts are allowed to get by coz they are "bait". The bane of CW.

Back to topic:

Our ODI team is just so hard to get excited about. Its so boring with no real backing of multi skilled players. :(

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Guha is an absolute buffoon whose opinion deserves the least respect anyone can give. He was appointed by the SC to help run BCCI and ran away crying in just a month, after writing about how badly cricket was run in India (and connecting to politics) since 2012.
This is his actual resignation letter. You can make of it what you will. I will again not comment on it except to say instead of engaging in these attacks, perhaps addressing (and disagreeing with them) the substance of his words might be more useful.

Last edited:

slippy888

International Captain
I can't believe some experts want KL Rahul to play as a wicket keeper in world test championship, he no more than a average keeper.

Spark

Global Moderator
Didn't realize centurymaker lives in NZ. Explains a fair bit tbh.
He isn't wrong in the main though. That whole saga was an utter disgrace and has been weirdly memory-holed by the media in both countries.

And yes I know I'm breaking my own "pls stop" request. I guess we all have our moments of weakness.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He isn't wrong in the main though. That whole saga was an utter disgrace and has been weirdly memory-holed by the media in both countries.

And yes I know I'm breaking my own "pls stop" request. I guess we all have our moments of weakness.
Oh I meant in-general, given the level of chip on the shoulder so exquisitely combined with victim complex.

Certainly that aspect of the policy was a shocker and nonsensical though. Was much talk about it on here to that effect at the time iirc.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a valid point that you are twisting to drag Ashwin down for no reason. Ashwin himself has done well on flatter wickets in the past, so why are you saying he'd average close to 30 when that's not been shown to be the case at all? If you want to say you think Ashwin is overrated just say so instead of resorting to dumb arguments to try to 'prove' it.
Ashwin is a great bowler but there's no doubt he has benefited (along with Jadeja) more than any other Indian bowler in history (pitches + Drs).

And I still can't get over his poor performances in South Africa in 2021/22 where he was struggling to pick up any wickets at all when India needed him most. I honestly think he partly cost us that series so my opinion of Ashwin has come down.

And I also believe that if Jadeja had been fit, he'd have clearly out performed him with both ball & bat and taken India to a series win or much closer to a series win! Ashwin simply couldn't dismiss their right handers whatsoever (they had just 1 leftie in the top 6 iirc). It was hugely disappointing notwithstanding the Elgar drs saga. And with the bat too Ashwin wasn't great except 1 innings.

WTC Final defeat doesn't sting although when India loses to Australia too then 2 back to back defeats might seem bad. Even the defeat in the 5th Test against England is okay. But this one was just unacceptable. Rohit missing the series due to injury, Jadeja missing. Siraj breaking down in 2nd Test.. Rahul having to captain India in 2nd Test in place of Kohli. Ashwin being ineffective ... all put together cost India the series. Prior to that I was totally supportive of his inclusion ahead of Jadeja in away tours especially in the England tour in 2021. But after this SA tour, I came to realise why the team management had been picking Jadeja over him. In certain away conditions and against certain lineups, Ashwin might be better but more often than not Jadeja is a better fit overseas.

(although I wouldn't mind seeing both play together as they really complement).

And I maintain that Ashwin wouldn't be averging any better than 27-28 in previous decades. 15% change in average is reasonable given that average score in India has probably fallen by A LOT more.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would Jadeja get in ahead of Ashwin where one spinner will be played these days given India's batting isn't what it used to be? Ashwin no slouch obviously, but Jadeja is a better batsman by a fair margin.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would Jadeja get in ahead of Ashwin where one spinner will be played these days given India's batting isn't what it used to be? Ashwin no slouch obviously, but Jadeja is a better batsman by a fair margin.
Jadeja gets in as one of our top six anyway so there's probably room for both and 3 quicks in England. Not having Pant is a game changer for us though. Bharat underwhelmed with gloves and bat and throwing someone like Kishan in is a huge risk as I'm not sure he'll improve us in either department at the Test level. Now there's talk of bringing back KL as a keeper bat which makes me dry retch uncontrollably. Him and Dravid being BangaloreBros makes it a real possibility they'll do it though.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin has been quite successful against Australia. And Jadeja is very hard to leave out in any conditions partly because of his batting. Since WTC Final is an end of cycle match and Ashwin and Jadeja have contributed the most in India reaching that final, I doubt India will leave either out. They deserve to play the final.

Plus Oval is comparatively a flatter pitch (usually), so it would make sense to play both.

Gill
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli
Iyer
Bharat (wk) / Rahul :(
Jadeja
Ashwin
Shami
Yadav
Siraj