• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Sunil1z

International Regular
Thanks to WTC when every Test matters , you will see most of the Indian pitches would be spin friendly now like Nagpur/ Delhi Test .

India won’t give batting roads now because home team can’t even afford draws .
If Aus had won Ashes 2-0 instead of 4-0 , even their qualification for WTC Final would have been extremely dicey.

Xix2565

International Debutant
but with luck at lords the touring side could’ve received the benefit so wasn’t prepared to favour one team. Whereas we all know India are distinctly stronger in slow bowling and the pitch was prepared to accomodate that advantage and throughout the game. Meaning there was nothing the touring side could do courtesy of luck or strategy to overcome that advantage.
That's only because India has a decent pace attack now. And even then they picked Ishant/Shami/Ashwin/Kuldeep/Hardik (dumb calls) at Lord's, while England took Anderson/Woakes/Broad/Curran. How is that not an example of accomodating seamers?

Shri

Mr. Glass
but with luck at lords the touring side could’ve received the benefit so wasn’t prepared to favour one team. Whereas we all know India are distinctly stronger in slow bowling and the pitch was prepared to accomodate that advantage and throughout the game. Meaning there was nothing the touring side could do courtesy of luck or strategy to overcome that advantage.
nz test and one off india test used a batch of balls that did not swing as reported in the news and confirmed by rob key et al

eng as always are the greatest cheats in cricket

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nz test and one off india test used a batch of balls that did not swing as reported in the news and confirmed by rob key et al

That should favour us you’d think. Swing is our kryptonite.

Of course what sometimes happens in overly bowling friendly conditions is we drag the batting of the opposition down to our level.

the big bambino

International Captain
That's only because India has a decent pace attack now. And even then they picked Ishant/Shami/Ashwin/Kuldeep/Hardik (dumb calls) at Lord's, while England took Anderson/Woakes/Broad/Curran. How is that not an example of accomodating seamers?
But you said the pitch rolled out. How does that not suit batsmen? With a change of luck India would've dominated and you wouldn't be complaining.

OverratedSanity

I’d still be hurting as an Australian fan. Huge advantage in that second test just completely snatched away by Axar. That was basically the series right there.

Very reminiscent of the Sam Curran ****blocks in England.
Yeah I think this is the weakest India have been at home for a very long time. I understand where some Australia fans (non Cw) are coming from when they say the series was a decent show from them considering their history here but they missed a huge opportunity to win get a historic series win imo. Second test wasn't even axar, if Australia had batted with an iota of sense they likely win.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I think this is the weakest India have been at home for a very long time. I understand where some Australia fans (non Cw) are coming from when they say the series was a decent show from them considering their history here but they missed a huge opportunity to win get a historic series win imo. Second test wasn't even axar, if Australia had batted with an iota of sense they likely win.
It's absolutely a missed opportunity but so long as Ashwin and Jadeja are a thing, India are overwhelming favourites are home. India are definitely weaker than they've been in ages but I really think the actual opportunity will be when those two aren't around any more; they really have an almost McGrath-Warne level death grip on home conditions.

Though that won't be much comfort to Smith, Khawaja and the others who won't be around for another go (absent some sort of freakish second peak for Smith).

Xix2565

International Debutant
But you said the pitch rolled out. How does that not suit batsmen? With a change of luck India would've dominated and you wouldn't be complaining.
Batters don't run the game in Tests ffs. The conditions at Lord's then were heavily in favour of England's 4 man seam attack, and they got to avoid having to bowl a lot when the ball wasn't moving around while having enough depth to rotate overs around when they did bowl. India picked 2 spinners on that track instead of an extra seamer, so they couldn't cope with the challenge provided. It also wasn't like India won the toss either then. How was that match an example of a fair pitch?

At Nagpur Australia were hampered and didn't have much options and like India in 2018 got punished for their choices, with the only difference being that the ball kept spinning throughout the game consistently. Far more fair in terms of both teams having to play in similar conditions throughout, and I'd back the Indore lineup with a couple of changes to challenge better than what happened.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both Nagpur and Delhi were good test match pitches. Indore and Ahmedabad were both subpar. But surprise surprise, Broad went after the one that aids spin.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year

Substantiate your claims. Most countries (SC, Australia, England) have indulged in questionable tactics at some time or other. Rating one "the greatest cheats of cricket" requires examples. But be careful. You may open a can of worms and end up with egg on your face.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Both Nagpur and Delhi were good test match pitches. Indore and Ahmedabad were both subpar. But surprise surprise, Broad went after the one that aids spin.
Depends how you define a subpar pitch doesn't it? Even putting aside the performance by each team the FC data tells us that there is a significant benefit to batting second at nagpur. Aus won the toss and choose to bat anyway, but i think you could make an argument for it not being a great pitch on some grounds.
Depends how

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually think 2017 was the real opportunity for Aus and I said it then that they wont have a better opportunity to win a series in India and I think I was right. They could have squared the series here but that was the best they could have hoped for.

Indore was many things, but I definitely think there was a hint of complacency involved from India there as well, which has happened a few times tbh. We get someone 6 or 7 down and our bowlers become complacent, we seemed to think we just need to show up and bowl in Chennai in the first test against England and then now in Indore esp. in our first innings batting. Definite weakness with this generation of players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Depends how you define a subpar pitch doesn't it? Even putting aside the performance by each team the FC data tells us that there is a significant benefit to batting second at nagpur. Aus won the toss and choose to bat anyway, but i think you could make an argument for it not being a great pitch on some grounds.
Depends how
I think pitches like Chennai in the first England test in 2021 tend to make toss almost a match-winning advantage. Those are the worst pitches IMO and the Lords test was like that in many ways back in 2018. Indore and Ahmedabad were more like the conditions didn't change that much for both sides, they just started off in such a way that one discipline was always at a disadvantage.

Burgey

I’d still be hurting as an Australian fan. Huge advantage in that second test just completely snatched away by Axar. That was basically the series right there.

Very reminiscent of the Sam Curran ****blocks in England.
I think the huge advantage was snatched away by themselves when they lost eight for about 20 while obsessively playing sweep shots to everything.

the big bambino

International Captain
Batters don't run the game in Tests ffs. The conditions at Lord's then were heavily in favour of England's 4 man seam attack, and they got to avoid having to bowl a lot when the ball wasn't moving around while having enough depth to rotate overs around when they did bowl. India picked 2 spinners on that track instead of an extra seamer, so they couldn't cope with the challenge provided. It also wasn't like India won the toss either then. How was that match an example of a fair pitch?

At Nagpur Australia were hampered and didn't have much options and like India in 2018 got punished for their choices, with the only difference being that the ball kept spinning throughout the game consistently. Far more fair in terms of both teams having to play in similar conditions throughout, and I'd back the Indore lineup with a couple of changes to challenge better than what happened.
What? Of course batsmen have a bearing on the game. It was a feature of your complaint that they were too well advantaged as the game went on. It is hardly a justfiable complaint about pitch condiotions that India so misread them as to pick 2 spinners. That's the team's fault, not the pitch's. And perhaps that better explains England doing so well in their batting. Because you picked an unsuitable attack. Once again nothing to do with the pitch.

Whereas Australia could not do anything in the way of strategy, selection or luck to alter the way they could play the Nagpur pitch. Not that I'd complain about turning wickets. We must better prepare for them. However the Lords pitch presented opportunities to both sides that India failed to grasp. Australia could do nothing on a pitch that obviously favoured their opponent's strength and for the duration of the game.