• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Spark

Global Moderator
No, people call Guha that, not silentstriker
But who else is "brown coolie" meant to be referring to, when he's the only bloke who is actually posting in his favour?

And why is anyone even going around posting "brown coolie" anyway? Isn't that literally a racial slur? Would you all be so fine with someone calling others "house n-word"? I've infracted people for calling others of Asian descent "coconut" in the past.

This thread has all gotten very very dark in the last 24 hours imo; I really regret not mass deleting and infracting every post on the topic ages ago. I might have to do that from now on if this is going to be where this topic goes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Poor @silentstriker, all he wanted was for people to actually point out what was wrong with a book he really liked and for that heinous crime a whole bunch of you are basically calling him "brown coolie Anglophile commie scum". So, you know, a race traitor.
Yeah that is why he was bringing up the resignation letter. 8-)

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But who else is "brown coolie" meant to be referring to, when he's the only bloke who is actually posting in his favour?

And why is anyone even going around posting "brown coolie" anyway? Isn't that literally a racial slur? Would you all be so fine with someone calling others "house n-word"? I've infracted people for calling others of Asian descent "coconut" in the past.

This thread has all gotten very very dark in the last 24 hours imo; I really regret not mass deleting and infracting every post on the topic ages ago. I might have to do that from now on if this is going to be where this topic goes.
Fwiw, coolie is more of a classist slur in India. Used to describe labourers and maids etc. Not really caste related either for the most part from what I've heard in my 9 years living there

Spark

Global Moderator
Fwiw, coolie is more of a classist slur in India. Used to describe labourers and maids etc. Not really caste related either for the most part from what I've heard in my 9 years living there
Right but wasn't it also used by the British as a generic racial slur about Indians in general?

EDIT: Wikipedia tells me that I was actually way understating it; it was used as a racial slur against a looooot of different people. Yikes.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not sure but if it's an Indian using it, 99.9% certainty it's classism over racism
Yeah so the reason I had internalised about it was that it was used as a racist slur - about Chinese and other Asian migrant workers in the US and elsewhere. That's probably how it filtered down to me as a racist slur.

All I know is that reading that post, that one word stood out like a beacon to me, so I was really confused about why no one else seemed to notice it.

Sunil1z

International Regular
@Spark
You can still clean this thread and delete all non-cricket related comments.
Otherwise once again someone would quote others and start the discussion

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah so the reason I had internalised about it was that it was used as a racist slur - about Chinese and other Asian migrant workers in the US and elsewhere. That's probably how it filtered down to me as a racist slur.

All I know is that reading that post, that one word stood out like a beacon to me, so I was really confused about why no one else seemed to notice it.
Was used in South Africa as a slur against Indians from what I've heard too

Spark

Global Moderator
@Spark why are you continuing this rather than doing that moderating thing you're supposed to be doing?
Because I'm genuinely not sure as to what the post meant so I would like clarification rather than throwing out six month bans, which is what I was very tempted to do but I know would have started an even bigger ****fight.

Flem274*

123/5
our boy has this tendency to act dense/out of touch and its hard to let things slide when he is an embarrassment to logic

but i will stop here
i hate to be the white boi splainer but you could just say this bro.

in fact if you want to be brutal i watched a youtube doco on elliott rodgers and apparently his dad referred to him as "broken at conception" which is a burn i've filed away.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

No fair enough actually, I only read the Anglophile commie scum bit at first. I agree it's not pleasant to throw around accusations of being a race traitor this freely. centurymaker kinda did it to me over me agreeing with you guys about how slow and flat the pitch for the last test was which was amusing.

Thread should've just been locked imo (especially once you had the usual non Indian posters trying to add ghee to the fire), the tests are done anyway.

Shri

Mr. Glass
@Spark how come you decide to do some modding after the pot was stirred a few days ago by rtb but instead of telling him to cut it out you decide to focus on people who simply reacted to it? your modding is always only about punching down and you should step down imo

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No fair enough actually, I only read the Anglophile commie scum bit at first. I agree it's not pleasant to throw around accusations of being a race traitor this freely. centurymaker kinda did it to me over me agreeing with you guys about how slow and flat the pitch for the last test was which was amusing.

Thread should've just been locked imo (especially once you had the usual non Indian posters trying to add ghee to the fire), the tests are done anyway.
I actually think Arachno was just being ironically funny there but even for exaggeration, maybe it was one step too far.