• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Spark

Global Moderator
No it is not irrelevant because of two things -
1. The fact that Umpires and the Indian team have a problem with it and that Smith apologized for it means that unlike what you think - It can be done if one chooses to.
2. If he has done it once, he has clearly cheated at least once, who is there to say that his supposed "brain fade" is not a one time thing, what if it's infectious?

I don't have the full replays with every single angle, in fact the broadcasters probably don't either. But with your level of certainty it seems to me that you do have every single replay of every Australian appeal / DRS taken / not taken, please be kind enough to upload those videos somewhere, please ensure that you have footage of every single player if Australia are bowling and both the batsmen if they are batting.

If that's what you really think, why are you debating -
1. On a worthless topic?
2. With a moron?

Surely you have better things to do?

BTW, you are yet to explain what happened to Australia's Experience in judicious use of reviews in the last two tests.
See like what the hell is this. It's just such an absurdly conspiratorial argument demanding a patently ridiculous standard of proof that it stretches reason.

Kohli's words after the 2nd Test were very specific ("I saw it twice while I was batting" in essence) and very easy to check, as he wasn't exactly batting long. I could understand why the burden of proof shifts if he had narrowed his criticisms to the Smith incident and opined that he believed that it was a general thing, but when he brought something specific up and it was so clearly nonsense, it's on him to explain.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kim Hughes was Australian and good yet I liked him. Bradman was Australian and rather decent and I had no problems with him. I do not know if we are such an afterthought as Australia is; didn't you chaps stop listening to mullet rock in 2008 or some ridiculously late time?
you know bradman was a **** don't you

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's time this thread is closed. We've been trolled by Kohli long enough. The bastard doesn't even have an account on here and he manages to troll us all.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Just caught up with the highlights.

What a series. Smith's legit a ****ing ledge. So good that now my signature looks legit fine in a non facetious way. And Kohli sucking dick throughout the series and being salty was fun to watch.

And I've always disliked Jadeja for some odd reason, but WAG - totally aced the **** out of the series.

Also, hoping to see more of Cummins soon. Fiery stuff.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just caught up with the highlights.

What a series. Smith's legit a ****ing ledge. So good that now my signature looks legit fine in a non facetious way. And Kohli sucking dick throughout the series and being salty was fun to watch.

And I've always disliked Jadeja for some odd reason, but WAG - totally aced the **** out of the series.

Also, hoping to see more of Cummins soon. Fiery stuff.
holy **** that post in your sig

vcs

I just realized that Smith - in addition to his 100s, he really needed to get 1 50+ score to take his side home. It would have made all the difference in Bangalore or here in Dharmasala. He missed out on playing an impactful innings when needed.

Im going to be very critical of Smith below but I do believe he's easily the best batsman in the world!

He only really performed when his team was truly on top, not when the chips were down.

1st Test, Australia already had a 160-170 run lead going into the 2nd innings when he got a partially lucky ton although pitch was difficult.

In 2nd Test, a 50+ score in either of the innings would have almost sealed the series! But difficult pitch and he was unsuccessful in the whole game.

In 3rd Test, the pitch on day one was an absolute pancake, Australia lost 4 wickets that day and almost all were gifts. Nobody looked like getting out and Australia should have been only one or two down.
And in 2nd innings, Smith's brain fade almost led to a defeat. But batting through the 1st innings was really good indeed but he should have accelerated with the tail, instead he didn't want to get out, but was ok with running out of partners.

In the 4th Test, Smith got out at the wrong time, he and Warner had made best use of the conditions first up and then both fell when things became a bit tricky from 131/0 to 300 all out! And in the 2nd innings, Smith got ahead of himself and thought he could smash every ball when the situation demanded otherwise..

So Smith tbh had it easy, people are looking at his 3 scores and not the circumstances and are ignoring his 5 low scores. When in fact, in such a form he needed to contribute more especially when needed! Look at Rahul, Pujara (or Kohli in previous series).. the consistency was there and that was essential and scoring in critical situations..or impactfulness, also look at Jadeja or Saha. Truly chipping in when you are behind. A 50 in such circumstances is better than a 100 in easier times, so I agree with Michael Clarke, stats are misleading, it's the impact you have on the games.

Pujara arguably made greater contribution than Smith in the series.
His 90 in Bangalore when India were trailing by 87 runs and were 4 down for almost no lead on THAT pitch.. It was worth double in such circumstances and with Australia on fire!

In 3rd Test, his double ton over day 3 & 4 and after being 320/6 is truly special. Pitch had some assistance by then and India could've lost the game & the series there and then if they had folded. But instead, he fought hard and absorbed the pressure for one more whole day and inch by inch allowed India to get totally on top by the end with team score of 600. One criticism of him would be that he should have accelerated a bit earlier and that may have gave India enough time to win the game. But regardless, it was a special innings.
This is a classic fallacy of underrating performances that put your team in a dominant position starting from a neutral one as "downhill skiing" or whatever. Apart from the chancy knock in the first game where Australia were already in the lead, none of this stands to any scrutiny. Sachin used to get this **** all the time as well.

Even in that first game, he came in on a minefield at 10/1 with Ashwin bowling like a dream. If they'd got shot out under 150 or even 100 (which no doubt would have happened without his century), India might have approached the chase with a completely different mindset and possibly even won it.

Last edited:

TNT

Banned
Apparently Kohli has unfriended Smith on facebook and will not be inviting him to his birthday party this year, Smith is devastated.

Burgey

I just realized that Smith - in addition to his 100s, he really needed to get 1 50+ score to take his side home. It would have made all the difference in Bangalore or here in Dharmasala. He missed out on playing an impactful innings when needed.

Im going to be very critical of Smith below but I do believe he's easily the best batsman in the world!

He only really performed when his team was truly on top, not when the chips were down.

1st Test, Australia already had a 160-170 run lead going into the 2nd innings when he got a partially lucky ton although pitch was difficult.

In 2nd Test, a 50+ score in either of the innings would have almost sealed the series! But difficult pitch and he was unsuccessful in the whole game.

In 3rd Test, the pitch on day one was an absolute pancake, Australia lost 4 wickets that day and almost all were gifts. Nobody looked like getting out and Australia should have been only one or two down.
And in 2nd innings, Smith's brain fade almost led to a defeat. But batting through the 1st innings was really good indeed but he should have accelerated with the tail, instead he didn't want to get out, but was ok with running out of partners.

In the 4th Test, Smith got out at the wrong time, he and Warner had made best use of the conditions first up and then both fell when things became a bit tricky from 131/0 to 300 all out! And in the 2nd innings, Smith got ahead of himself and thought he could smash every ball when the situation demanded otherwise..

So Smith tbh had it easy, people are looking at his 3 scores and not the circumstances and are ignoring his 5 low scores. When in fact, in such a form he needed to contribute more especially when needed! Look at Rahul, Pujara (or Kohli in previous series).. the consistency was there and that was essential and scoring in critical situations..or impactfulness, also look at Jadeja or Saha. Truly chipping in when you are behind. A 50 in such circumstances is better than a 100 in easier times, so I agree with Michael Clarke, stats are misleading, it's the impact you have on the games.

Pujara arguably made greater contribution than Smith in the series.
His 90 in Bangalore when India were trailing by 87 runs and were 4 down for almost no lead on THAT pitch.. It was worth double in such circumstances and with Australia on fire!

In 3rd Test, his double ton over day 3 & 4 and after being 320/6 is truly special. Pitch had some assistance by then and India could've lost the game & the series there and then if they had folded. But instead, he fought hard and absorbed the pressure for one more whole day and inch by inch allowed India to get totally on top by the end with team score of 600. One criticism of him would be that he should have accelerated a bit earlier and that may have gave India enough time to win the game. But regardless, it was a special innings.
This is actually a terrible, terrible post.

Bloke averages 70 with three tons in four tests but under performed, supposedly because he didn't make enough of a significant contribution when it mattered. If one of the other batsmen in his team had stepped up during those innings Smith put together, Australia would have won the series, and handily.

Genuinely some of the worst thought processing and analysis I've read. Better than the stuff about karma, the universe preordaining **** and whatever pseudo-spiritual stuff we've had before, but it's borderline.

shankar

International Debutant
See like what the hell is this. It's just such an absurdly conspiratorial argument demanding a patently ridiculous standard of proof that it stretches reason.

Kohli's words after the 2nd Test were very specific ("I saw it twice while I was batting" in essence) and very easy to check, as he wasn't exactly batting long. I could understand why the burden of proof shifts if he had narrowed his criticisms to the Smith incident and opined that he believed that it was a general thing, but when he brought something specific up and it was so clearly nonsense, it's on him to explain.
Kohli was an idiot with his accusations. But you'd have to be ridiculously naive to believe that the incident when they were caught was the only time it happened.