• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"To me the punishment doesn't fit the crime," he said on his Facebook page. "As a leader I always thought if the boys weren't getting along or we weren't performing, then the best thing to do was to lock everyone into a room with some music, alcohol and everyone have there (sic) say to each other. Old school ways can still work well."

just take a guess.....

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you know, i keep on hearing about how you'd have more chance of selling ice to the eskimos than getting players like david boon and merv hughes to do the task arthur set out, but i dunno know those guys went on to become selectors. i'm pretty sure they would have adapted

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Katich has retired from Australian cricket.

Smith has a pretty bad technical flaw for someone wanting to make runs in Australia in that he stays leg side of the ball and pokes at length deliveries from seam bowlers, but that's a flaw that is really quite easily papered over in India, relatively anyway. I think he's much more likely to succeed in these conditions than Khawaja or Doolan.. different at home, but certainly true here IMO.
Tbf, last time I saw Smith bat, he looked a lot better - more relaxed stance, weight moving forward when driving off front foot, etc

Still dont think he's a test bat but least he's heading in right direction

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tbf, last time I saw Smith bat, he looked a lot better - more relaxed stance, weight moving forward when driving off front foot, etc

Still dont think he's a test bat but least he's heading in right direction
Yeah no doubt. I think he's largely fine on the front foot now, which is why I think he could do decently in India. He still struggles with the ball back of a length on off stump though; he doesn't get back and across to those balls like you need to here and just ends up poking at them.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The one thing I like about him is that he has maintained a fc average of over 40 for a reasonable amount of time so at least he has worked out a way to score runs despite his flaws and that is more than you can say about most of our young bats

Mind you, if I have to listen to commentators say that "he hits the ball to unusual areas" too much I will neck myself

BeeGee

International Captain
you know, i keep on hearing about how you'd have more chance of selling ice to the eskimos than getting players like david boon and merv hughes to do the task arthur set out, but i dunno know those guys went on to become selectors. i'm pretty sure they would have adapted
I don't understand how the comparison is even relevant. The game, attitudes and professionalism are completely different today than what they were back in the 80s. They may as well be saying W.G. Grace wouldn't have done the task. It's irrelevant.

What is relevant is that every other member of the squad was able to complete the task without any issues or dramas.

Last edited:

BulkBogan

Cricket Spectator
The one thing I like about him is that he has maintained a fc average of over 40 for a reasonable amount of time so at least he has worked out a way to score runs despite his flaws and that is more than you can say about most of our young bats

Mind you, if I have to listen to commentators say that "he hits the ball to unusual areas" too much I will neck myself
Haha yeah more often than not that is a back-handed compliment.

BeeGee

International Captain
P.S. If Pup is not an Indian fan, why is his location India?
Is being an Indian cricket fan a requirement for living in India? :p

It may shock you, but there are people living in India who support another nation's cricket team (I've seen a few on these boards).

BulkBogan

Cricket Spectator
Bad timing for Wade to be injured. Haddin has been in great form and averages 46 with the bat over his 2 Ashes series so if he is solid here Wade could be on the sidelines for a while.

Might not be the worst thing for Wade. The kid has massive talent with the bat but obviously needs to work on his keeping. I still think he can be a long term player but needs to undergo some remedial work.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If Australia win this Test I will pen an apology to Mickey Arthur and offer him immortality as my new avatar.

Until then you're stuck with reproachful Katman.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Katich has retired from Australian cricket.

Smith has a pretty bad technical flaw for someone wanting to make runs in Australia in that he stays leg side of the ball and pokes at length deliveries from seam bowlers, but that's a flaw that is really quite easily papered over in India, relatively anyway. I think he's much more likely to succeed in these conditions than Khawaja or Doolan.. different at home, but certainly true here IMO.
Yeah, I'd probably go with Smith over Khawaja in India as well. Not only are their records near identical in tests and FC, but Smith has played far more cricket in India through IPL and one day games, and looks much more suited to such conditions in my eyes.