• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

howardj

International Coach
I'd prefer to face a team that Shane Watson is in and being a destabilising influence - "hey guys, where should I bat this Test? Nowhere? **** Test cricket, it's boring anyway."

He's crossed the point of no return mate. Australia's top four redemption doesn't start with him.
Mate, these guys are asked questions by the press in interviews

People are trying to frame Watson up for coming out and making a speech titled "I want Ed Cowan's spot and want him to be dropped".

He answered a question honestly on where he'd like to bat

howardj

International Coach
If the only thing between me and a Test cap was 200-300 words of self-flagellating doublespeak, I would have done it on the team bus three minutes after I'd got the memo.

If you don't want it badly enough, you'll never get a more spectacular chance to show how.
But nobody knew that the 200-300 words stood between them and a Test cap

That's the point

There was no communication of the totally disproportionate penalty that would apply for what is, all told, a fairly minor infraction.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
at the top level I like to think players are smart enough (even watson, mj and pattinson) to do what the coach says after 2 horrible loses. they didn't do the task. they've haven't prepared for the next test in the way asked of them. i think it's a pretty proportionate penalty

Spark

Global Moderator
“It is something that should have been completed and as a member of the team the others take full responsibility for it,” Pattinson said. “It should have been done, all the other players bar four got it in.
Advertisement

There is no excuse. It is disappointing to miss a Test match. It is something you personally love doing, but again when you took a look at the bigger picture, you understand what has happened and why it has
happened.

“(Arthur) wanted it in by Saturday night and it was one of those things where I didn't put in 100 per cent for the team. It was part forgetting and at this level you can't forget. It's pretty cut-throat and personally not good enough. It wasn't a hard task at all and it was something that was very valuable for the team going forward.

“It comes down to preparation for a Test, you can prepare in the nets and the batting, bowling and fielding but preparing off the field as well is just as important as well. It comes down to not preparing well
enough for the next Test.”

Australian management have explained that the standing down of the quartet – which could leave the squad with only 12 available players for the third Test – was a tipping point rather than an isolated incident. They point to a general slide in attitude, which came to a head when Pattinson, Watson, Johnson and Khawaja failed to follow a particular order.

Pattinson said the four had apologised to teammates at training at the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium on Monday.

“We have had a few issues in the team, ones that I don't really want to go into but it builds up and it is the final straw so to speak,” Pattinson said.

“We need to send a message to the team, not just myself but everyone else. We have to take responsibility for where we are at as a team. We are a group of young players, we are not a group of great players like
we've had in the past that can sometimes get away with it because they have performances on the board.

“We don't have that. As a team we have to take responsibility moving forward because we are young men and we haven't made it in Test cricket. At the moment, we have to do everything right to make us into
a great team.”

“People talk about it as a harsh punishment but looking deeply into it you realise probably it’s not. If you want to be part of the Australian cricket team you have to do everything right. It’s not acceptable. I believe it’s the right punishment. Everyone in the group needs to understand that this is the lengths we need to go to to be
successful as a team.”

Read more: No excuses from repentant Pattinson
Patto's words.

Spikey

The Captain and Head Coach must also ensure the team is learning, quickly and actively
— A culture of improvement and learning is critical to any high-performing organisation
— It is particularly important for the Australian Team now (and High Performance system more generally) as there are few if any players in total command of their games. This mastery needs to be built as actively and quickly as possible.
— What we want to see is a hunger to play, a hunger to improve, a hunger to win and a
hunger to be the best in the world
Usman has a hunger to play, to play Call of Duty M I RITE GUYS?>!

watson

Banned
at the top level I like to think players are smart enough (even watson, mj and pattinson) to do what the coach says after 2 horrible loses. they didn't do the task. they've haven't prepared for the next test in the way asked of them. i think it's a pretty proportionate penalty
Being axed for not doing 'creative writing homework' IS pretty disproportionate if your job happens to be cricket.

However, I think that we can safely say that the 'home-work' issue was really the end-point of some major sodding about by 4 blokes not concentrating on their respective jobs.

The 'straw that broke the camel back' as it were.

Spikey

Being axed for not doing 'creative writing homework' IS pretty disproportionate if your job happens to be cricket.

uh they weren't asked to write a 2 page short story. they were asked to provide feedback so as to possibly improve the team and player for the next two tests. not doing that is not preparing in the way for the next test in the way asked to, and therefore you've opened yourself up to being suspended for the next match

Spark

Global Moderator
I wonder if Patto is actually one of the repeat offenders. I suspect there was a decision made that whoever next crossed the line copped it in the neck, and he just happened to be one of them.

Daemon

I wonder if Patto is actually one of the repeat offenders. I suspect there was a decision made that whoever next crossed the line copped it in the neck, and he just happened to be one of them.
Ditto with Watson, judging from Mickey Arthur's comments.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah I can believe that Watson is one of the repeat offenders. See Pat Howard's comments. I don't doubt Watson's dedication to his own game, mind...

Spikey

Nah I can believe that Watson is one of the repeat offenders. See Pat Howard's comments. I don't doubt Watson's dedication to his own game, mind...
yeah Gideon haigh basically took Arthur's comments last night to mean Shane Watson is good at looking after Shane Watson, not so much the others. And he's the VC....

Daemon

Cevno posted an article over at CricSim which had Arthur calling him professional like 10 times, which suggests to me he wasn't one of the repeat offenders tbh. What are these Pat Howard comments?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Doesn't anyone else find it unusual that there is a massive gap between the second and third tests and no practice match to fill in the time?