• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Twatto gonna ****.

After years of calling this bloke the biggest dick in cricket he does this. Its beautiful.

Yeah sure he went home for his pregnant wife. But it was decided that he wasn't going to go home before this incident. Now that he is "axed" he is going after all. Surely the punishment is supposed to sitting in the rooms and having to face the fact you're not out there representing your country. Not cooling your heels back home which is what Twatto no doubt will be doing.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
That depends on why it's being asked. Do it and shut up to prove you're a good team member (if that's what happened)? Need more than that because that's not dialogue.

Honestly, I'm not on the players' sides at all. I do, however, think we're missing gigantic pieces of the picture. Maybe the players did give it a good old fashioned whinge and Arthur reacted by shutting them out. We've got no idea what was said in the immediate aftermath of the last loss and with Hughes' coach coming out and having a bitch too, wondering what's really going on.
Well I'm hearing that it could have just taken a text message. If so, it couldn't have been particularly onerous.

We're definitely missing bits of the picture here but if I were to guess, I think the bits missing would reflect even worse on team culture and discipline. That story about players apparently laughing off the idea this would be their toughest tour and then being desperate for advice post-Hyderabad doesn't speak well for their attitudes, for example.

sunilreddy

Banned
"Reasons for dropping Test cricketers: 1. Texting a South African, 2. Not texting a South African."
@tickerscricket pithily defines modern-day cricket management :laugh:

sunilreddy

Banned
"Kiwis learning Mike Hesson not such a bad option after all...."

And another from @Innobystander

"Four Australians axed from the next Test for lack of texting. This must be very confusing for poor Kevin Pietersen."

What's with cricketers and texting? @pavilionopinion wonders

"A rare day when a patient Test 190 by Ashraful is the 2nd most unbelievable event in the Test world"

A dose of perspective from @Sriram_S

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mind you, if there were four blokes I'd have guessed prior to this series who reckon they have a god-given right to be in the side.....uncanny.

benchmark00

What sort of personal analysis was Johnson and Khawaja supposed to write about?

I'm only gutted for Khawaja. Watson leaving the team could be a blessing in disguise and Patto missing one match isn't horrible.

Cowan Warner Hughes Clarke Smith Wade/Haddin Henriques Siddle Starc Lyon Doherty.
The idea is to write what you bring to the team to make the team better, it's not a recap of your series to date.

uvelocity

International Coach
Well I'm hearing that it could have just taken a text message. If so, it couldn't have been particularly onerous.

We're definitely missing bits of the picture here but if I were to guess, I think the bits missing would reflect even worse on team culture and discipline. That story about players apparently laughing off the idea this would be their toughest tour and then being desperate for advice post-Hyderabad doesn't speak well for their attitudes, for example.
mickeys arthur said:
"They could do it in any way. It could be in writing and putting something on email, it could have been sending an SMS followed up by an email.
hey coach, just sent you an email!

pup11

International Coach
That though is entirely different from what they are publicly saying. Why say that Watson and Johnson have great work ethics and sack them for not doing this then?

I don't tell my girlfriend that I'm not seeing her for two weeks because she forgot to send me a text message when she said she would.

This is a complete overreaction and should have been dealt with quietly behind closed doors.
No coach or captain can question the work ethic of his player either openly or behind closed doors because its pretty hard to back those accusations with proof, this seemingly stupid exercise though seems to have exposed the lack of discipline and professionalism on part of these players and that's probably exactly what Arthur wanted.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As far as I am concerned you don't have to pick sides. You can not like the task, you can not like the fact the players didn't do the task, you can not like the punishment the players have been handed out etc.

But ultimately, would this punishment have been handed out during the Ashes if Aus were down 2-0 and a similar task had been handed out? I say no it would not have.

benchmark00

Tbf when you're not getting selected its begging for the snarky response...
No it's not, it's begging for the 'if given a chance I'll value my selection so much that I won't let anyone else have it, I'll work harder than anyone else' response, then it's about proving that that's the case.

The team really misses blokes like Ponting. I know Clarke is said to have an unwavering work ethic, but it wouldn't hurt to have guys like Ponting around who work so ridiculously hard on their game and leaving no stone unturned. Instead you've got Usman Khawaja playing Call of Duty in his hotel room. I bet Ponting never wasted too many days off.

Top_Cat

Could argue that's why he's doing it now. In a series which few gave a **** about beforehand and none do now. :ph34r:

EDIT: @ Jonio

benchmark00

As far as I am concerned you don't have to pick sides. You can not like the task, you can not like the fact the players didn't do the task, you can not like the punishment the players have been handed out etc.

But ultimately, would this punishment have been handed out during the Ashes if Aus were down 2-0 and a similar task had been handed out? I say no it would not have.
Would the players have done the task if it was the Ashes?

Your mama

Cricket Spectator
Wow what a mess. When did aussie cricket descend into such a farce?

write an essay? how bout talking to each other? **** this is really pathetic.

Dropping four players over this is just so laughable. Smacks of arthur just lashing out because of his incompetence

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Guess, partly the reason for this punishment is that the Ashes is coming up.

Would have been interesting if this series was 1-1, then what the reaction would have been ?

Anyway, surely there is some sort of history behind this irrespective of this incident.