• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Meh, its just a prediction. I've got no way of backing it up, neither do you with your point.

But how rarely have we seen two bowlers have good series against Australia in recent times? If this could happen, then stranger things have happened.

Reading an article on cricinfo today, talking about how everyone talked about how the 89 ashes would be a walkover...eerily similar.
well i dont need to back it up, because ur stating a what u predict, if u look at it realistically i just dont see it happening

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In fact if you compare Aust in 89 to Eng now, its a lil the sameish...(if i rig around with the English line up). Not always in class, but often in teh type and stage of development of the players.

G. Marsh = M. Trescothick
M. Taylor = A. Strauss
D. Boon = M. Vaughan
D. Jones = K. Pieterson
A. Border = M. Butcher??? (bit of a difference there)
S. Waugh = A Flintoff
I. Healy = G. Jones
T. Hohns = A Giles
M. Hughes = S. Harmison
T. Alderman = M. Hoggard
G. Lawson = S. Jones/anyone else you'd like

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
well i dont need to back it up, because ur stating a what u predict, if u look at it realistically i just dont see it happening
See, the big "if" is not the result. It's the process. "If" England's (IMO) best two bowlers bowl at their best, they'll really put Australia under a lot of stress. And as i said, how often do two bowlers bowl at their best against Australia? rarely. batsmen do it more often but Australia still win.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
wellll. i din't know Trevor Hohns played test cricket for Australia
haha. they don't just hand out those sort of jobs to any old shmo, you know?

^ that sounds straight out of happy gilmour! :dry:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Trevor Hohns

A star schoolboy performer for Sandgate-Redcliffe, he made his first grade debut as a teenager in 1969-70 and his first class debut for Queensland in 1972-73.

He became a regular member of the Queensland team and made his State captaincy debut in 1982.

Hohns toured South Africa as part of two "unofficial" Australian tours, in 1985-86 and 1986-87, taking 9-125 in the third international in Durban on the 1986-87 tour.

After serving a two-year ban from first class cricket, he made his national debut against the West Indies in Sydney in 1988-89 and played five Tests on the 1989 tour of England that saw Australia regain the Ashes. He took 17 wickets at 34.11 on that tour.

Hohns returned to lead Queensland in the 1990-91 season, his final in first class cricket. He is one of the members of the Queensland 100 Club, playing 120 first class games for his State.

In all, he scored 5210 career first class runs and took 288 wickets in his 152 matches.

Courtesy - Queensland cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Trevor Hohns

A star schoolboy performer for Sandgate-Redcliffe, he made his first grade debut as a teenager in 1969-70 and his first class debut for Queensland in 1972-73.

He became a regular member of the Queensland team and made his State captaincy debut in 1982.

Hohns toured South Africa as part of two "unofficial" Australian tours, in 1985-86 and 1986-87, taking 9-125 in the third international in Durban on the 1986-87 tour.

After serving a two-year ban from first class cricket, he made his national debut against the West Indies in Sydney in 1988-89 and played five Tests on the 1989 tour of England that saw Australia regain the Ashes. He took 17 wickets at 34.11 on that tour.

Hohns returned to lead Queensland in the 1990-91 season, his final in first class cricket. He is one of the members of the Queensland 100 Club, playing 120 first class games for his State.

In all, he scored 5210 career first class runs and took 288 wickets in his 152 matches.

Courtesy - Queensland cricket.
interesting i must say, shockingly i didn't know Hohns played for Australia, thanks for that info pratayush

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hehe i hope Key plays, he really didn't seem up to the job when he was out here despite the talk up he got. :lol:

on a serious note cant wait to see more of Pieterson, looks very good.

Hope Collingwood plays, i remember that ODI hundred he got in perth, definatley has a good attitude, will hopefully play alot more for England

tooextracool

International Coach
age_master said:
well people out here seemed to think he was supposed to be good.
possibly because he scored 174* against australia A on his tour down under and pretty much saved england singlehandedly from defeat.

tooextracool

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
Alright. Being dead bored and all, here are my thoughts on the Ashes.

1. England bowlers, not batmen, hold the key. Australia loves to be the bullys, especially with the bat. When they post a big score in their first innings, they are rarely beaten. It doesn't matter if you post a 350+ score against Australia when your batting first. So many times we've seen Australia pile on scores of 500 plus to demoralise their opponents.
i think the same applies for any team in the world. not many teams lose when they post 350+ scores on the board.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
A good article on the possible Indian first XI when the time does come to face Australia.

Bell,Pieterson, Collingwood or Key?

http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/story.jsp?story=634747
i dont think collingwood even makes a case. based on recent performances, i get the feeling that both key and butcher have been pushed further back in line and bell and pieterson are currently in front.
i think the only way you can decide who makes the XI for the ashes series, is to play key, bell and pieterson against b'desh and see who comes out best, however conclusive that is supposed to be.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
English players and media hitting at Warne?

First the Adams story and trying to paint Warne as a sledging villain over a county match.

Then the apparent story of future Warney retirement.

English trying to play mind games with the Australians and targetting the number one threat Warney? The English players havent had a good history of playing well against Warne. Well they have a poor performance against the likes of McGrath and Gillespie too but is Warne considered the biggest threat.

English are playing mind games much more than the Aussies till now. I am not sure they are being too successful as it would be difficult to unsettle Warne and get into his mind.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The comments have apparently been made by brother and manager Jason Warne. Warne said he is to get back to his brother and has not spoken to him in the past seven days.

The reality behind the story is not completely clear. Specially on the face of remarks made by Warne.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
In fact if you compare Aust in 89 to Eng now, its a lil the sameish...(if i rig around with the English line up). Not always in class, but often in teh type and stage of development of the players.

G. Marsh = M. Trescothick
M. Taylor = A. Strauss
D. Boon = M. Vaughan
D. Jones = K. Pieterson
A. Border = M. Butcher??? (bit of a difference there)
S. Waugh = A Flintoff
I. Healy = G. Jones
T. Hohns = A Giles
M. Hughes = S. Harmison
T. Alderman = M. Hoggard
G. Lawson = S. Jones/anyone else you'd like
You know, aside from Border, Healy and Giles, that's quite uncanny. The other 8 all seem to fit the bill almost perfectly. Jones and Pietersen are a bit questionable as well.