• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
aussie said:
well it conclusively showed that Ponting had a little inside edge but not only edges other aspect such as bat-pads, balls that flick the glove etc......
Yes. Too bad the laws do not incorporate inclusion of technology in such cases :(

Slow Love™

International Captain
PY said:
Don't need technology, I called it. :p
LOL

I've gotta say though, regardless of whether it gets included in the third umpire's armory, that super slomo close-up stuff really is absolutely incredible and makes what seems at first glance fairly indiscernable very clear. I'm a huge fan.

PY

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
LOL

I've gotta say though, regardless of whether it gets included in the third umpire's armory, that super slomo close-up stuff really is absolutely incredible and makes what seems at first glance fairly indiscernable very clear. I'm a huge fan.
Interesting idea thrown in about hooking the umpires up to the stump-mic via earpiece to aid them?

Lovely lovely on-drive by Clarke, he looks fantastic at the moment.

PY

International Coach
Where on Middle-Earth did that delivery come from? That was barely short of a length and it's sconed him.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't think you have to get yourself out for the batting to be poor though. Yes, it's poor batting if you go for a big slog and get yourself caught, but it's also poor batting if you can't handle a bit of gentle inswing from the new ball with a guy like Hoggard bowling. The reason Australia are struggling is because their batting has consistenly crumbled under pressure, sometimes because they couldn't handle good bowling and grind it out, and sometimes because they simply gave their wickets away. Australia have bowled very well at times, but the English batting, despite what would generally be agreed is less ability oevrall, has been able to see off the hard periods and still make runs. When Jones and Flintoff have bowled well, Australia has fallen to bits, while aside from the second innings at Lords against McGrath and at Edgbaston against Warne, England have stood up and managed good scores despite some good bowling.

Part of it is poor form, part of it is poor planning, and part of it is indeed lack of experience against actual swing bowling in Australian conditions recently, but whatever your explaination for it is, Australia's batting has consistently failed despite three of the four pitches in the series so far being very, very good for batting.
I completely agree with what you said there that I've bolded, and argued that re: Bell when Marc kept insisting that him going out to decent balls wasn't failing. But IMO, the English (with the exception of Hoggard) have just put together far more consistent spells of decent bowling, where our bowlers have quite often taken the foot off the pedal and let the English coast after negotiating the odd troubling period.

But in acknowledging that our batsmen have failed (and they surely have), I feel you have to give some credit to the English bowlers. They have consistently been more challenging and have managed to do far more with the ball when it's in their possession. In addition their confidence is so much higher and they're not overstepping on the front foot every frigging over. I still feel they've outbowled us, and that's what's really put them on top. Well, that and our appalling failure to hold on to opportunities when they've come, and Vaughan's out-captaining of Ponting..

PY

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
But IMO, the English (with the exception of Hoggard) have just put together far more consistent spells of decent bowling
Think he's slightly redeeming himself today. :)

Though I think this shows that he hasn't been on terrible form but just hasn't had the conditions where he's been able to shine at all.

EDIT: Not liking the way that the England players were on the pitch for a few seconds celebrating.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ball took another hunk out of the wicket as well.

What next?

Warnie gets run over by the drinks cart?