• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Seeing Flintoff bowling a lot of no balls as usual, has got me wondering...

Did anyone notice whether either of his wickets came off no balls again?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
You need 229 with Hayden, Martyn, Clarke, Katich and Gilchrist on a third day pitch.

I think it's a little above one in five, isn't it?

(Interesting argument this - "you're gonna win"/"no, YOU're gonna win"...
I was intending to be semi-ironic by accusing you of pessimism then suggesting 80-20, but I still think England are well on top, certainly not even. Particularly with the dismissal of Australia's most in-form batsman (Langer) and the psychological advantage of dismissing the captain.

I'll reduce it to 75-25 after seeing a few of Martyn's boundaries - England still look three times more likely to win to my mind.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just saw Mike Gatting give the fancy dress award to the crowd. Is it me or does he look like Mr Myagi these days?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i got to say it, this is the best Ashes since the 97 series and if the series continues in this exciting manner it could eclipse that well talked of 81 series.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
if the series continues in this exciting manner it could eclipse that well talked of 81 series.
How? The second coming of Botham and an Australian win? ;)

chalky

International Debutant
Australia scoring at 4 an over with out taking any risks. They have to look to occupy the crease for 70-80 overs and wait for the bad ball (which Hoggard, Jones & Giles will inveriably bowl).

Top_Cat

Hayden looking to play in the V pretty much. Very smart play. Makes him look a much more calm player.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
How? The second coming of Botham and an Australian win? ;)
that would be great if Flintoff does come of age in this series but Australia still win, i woudn't mind that scenario at allll :thumbsup:

Top_Cat

Just showed stats saying that Jones takes the highest proportion of his wickets when the ball is 60-80 overs old. That's pretty bizarre but nice to have in any side!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
I have to confess, I still half-expect Hayden to go any minute. I have a lot more faith in Marto though.
Hayden's looked quite solid after the initial difficult spell I think. His timing is still not nearly as good as it could be, but he is at least playing the right shots to the right balls. Martyn's playing quite impressively as well, as he was in the first innings before the run out.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adamc said:
Hayden's looked quite solid after the initial difficult spell I think. His timing is still not nearly as good as it could be, but he is at least playing the right shots to the right balls. Martyn's playing quite impressively as well, as he was in the first innings before the run out.
I think Martyn's been pretty streaky so far.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a pity, I thought Hayden was doing really well for the time he was out there. Shouldn't have played at that, though I guess he was expecting it to swing in to his pads rather than the other way. Clever bit of bowling if it was intentional, which I can only imagine it was...