• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
What the hell @ wide
Don't see the problem with it. It was a foot above Langer's head, and you can't play a standard cricket shot at a ball a foot above your head, hence it's a wide. Replay showed pretty clearly why it was called.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Seems fine to me, I don't think he can really go after the batsmen on this pitch as it doesn't really suit him.
He looks pretty pedestrian right now.

And he really has to go after them because if England lose, they'll be 2-0 down in a 5-Test series; I can only think of one team ever who has won the series from that position. They NEED to give it everything and go balls out to win this one.

edit: Just realised I repeated Corey here. Oh well.
Often imitated, never bettered. ;)

What the hell @ wide
It was miles over his head.........

FaaipDeOiad said:
Don't see the problem with it. It was a foot above Langer's head, and you can't play a standard cricket shot at a ball a foot above your head, hence it's a wide. Replay showed pretty clearly why it was called.
Yep.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's Test cricket not one day cricket, if that was a wide then so were a load of deliveries Warne bowled down the leg-side.

Top_Cat

It's Test cricket not one day cricket, if that was a wide then so were a load of deliveries Warne bowled down the leg-side.
No they weren't. All have been well within the return crease so not wides. And the one above Langer's head was so far above it that he couldn't play a 'normal cricket shot', hence a wide.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Err, no. The rule states that it's a wide if a batsman can't reasonably be expected to hit it. Nothing that Warne bowled was unhittable, and he didn't bowl wide of leg consistently enough for it to be considered negative bowling. That Hamison ball, to a guy of Langer's height, was unhittable with a standard cricket shot. The only thing he could possibly have done to it is basically stick his bat straight up in the air.

Scaly piscine

Top_Cat said:
No they weren't. All have been well within the return crease so not wides. And the one above Langer's head was so far above it that he couldn't play a 'normal cricket shot', hence a wide.
Bull, you can't play a 'normal cricket shot' at a delivery that's 2 feet down legside.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Giles not causing any problems at all yet. He's bowling too full, and to left-handers that line isn't going to restrict the scoring.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Langer's looking really good again. He and Warne are making my Ashes predictions for most Aussie runs and wickets pretty healthy (my English predictions are another story)...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Huge wicket that. Seemed to be the bounce or something that did Langer there.

edit: once again, England come back into it just as Australia look to be getting in control. Certainly proving to be a very resiliant team.

Top_Cat

Bull, you can't play a 'normal cricket shot' at a delivery that's 2 feet down legside.
Of course you can. The return crease is 4.3 feet from middle stump so 2 feet only half the distance from middle-stump to ot the return crease. It's not as wide as you think.

And as I speak, Freddie bowls a ball which bounces a bit more than Langer expected and he drags on. England sure needed that!

Scaly piscine

Slow Love™ said:
Langer's looking really good again. He and Warne are making my Ashes predictions for most Aussie runs and wickets pretty healthy (my English predictions are another story)...
Same here, although Harmison is now only joint top wicket taker with Flintoff.