• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who - besides sideshowtim - overrates Ponting as captain?

For someone to be overrated, they actually have to be well rated first.

Lurking on these boards, it's fairly obvious that most posters believe that Ponting is the worst captain to ever set foot on a cricket field and will use any opportunity to sink the boot in.

I find that very sad.
Pretty much exactly what I was saying earlier.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Who - besides sideshowtim - overrates Ponting as captain?

For someone to be overrated, they actually have to be well rated first.

Lurking on these boards, it's fairly obvious that most posters believe that Ponting is the worst captain to ever set foot on a cricket field and will use any opportunity to sink the boot in.

I find that very sad.
I think he's a good, albeit not brilliant, captain. I think he has also improved a great deal in his time in the job. That said, if the majority of your experience as captain has featured the kind of team he has had, he's obviously not had a great need to develop cunning plans to work around leading a crap team.

That having a cunning plan to overcome being crap is the sole criteria of ability as captain is, IMO, a bit wrong. Providing leadership that assists/allows the team to function at a high level consistently for a long period is not an achievement to be sneezed at.

ret

International Debutant
thanks for acknowledging that I am smart.

IF you are having difficulty comprehending what I meant, let me try to break it down as much as I can:

a. You called Dravid a dunderhead, it is NOT the same as me saying Ponting as a captain is over rated.

b. I said Dravid would know a lot more about cricketing selections than you do, so you calling him names was a bit rich.

c. I am not saying I know more than Ponting. I just said that his captaincy skills are over rated by some people in the board here. And there a number of ex-players who feel that way too. This is hardly some shocking accusation or name-calling unlike what went on in that thread when you called Dravid a "dunderhead".

d. Expressing an opinion is different from throwing insults at a well-respected cricketer, at least here in the forum. I didn't call Ponting anything, juz said his captaincy is over-rated and if you still cannot see the difference, give it a rest. I am sure no one is enjoying reading this crap and if you are not going to stop, then at least I am. Call this "ret kicked Bharani's ass" as well, if that is what puts you to sleep at night.....
FYI, calling someone a dunderhead is not an insult ..... dunderhead = stupid .... clearly, you come across as someone who doesn't know what he is talking abt .... in the same sense, someone can find saying over-rated insulting [not that i think it is]

it would be better if you would stop judging things on the basis of where you come from .... if you are going to find things like calling someone stupid as insulting then its better you stop coming to international forums and stay in areas where calling stupid is insulting :ph34r:

on you thinking Ponting is over-rated ..... well, to even say that other ppl over-rate him, you should know something. i don't see anything in you that tells that you know more than others here .... and since you think you are good enough to rate Ponting on the basis of thinking that others over-rate him, let's use the same logic that you used for those who rated Dravid, i.e. he knows more abt cricket than members here and members are not good enough to even lick his shoes as far as cricket goes ..... now why do you think you are good enough to even rate Ponting, in this case by saying that members over-rate him, when you are not an international captain and not good enough to even lick his shoes as far as cricket goes [the same logic you used]

reporting post for calling you a hypocrite [which is not an out of ordinary thing to say], making mountains out of molehills, trying to dilute your case on the basis of whats worse, etc is not going to do you any favors but just shows ....., imo

enough said

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
No doubt that Australia has regressed a bit with all the retirements (as you would expect).

Bit too early to tell if it is a dip or a decline. Fortunes of spinners coming into the side will probably have a large influence on this.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne was never much good in the West Indies. Yes, Lara mastered him, but there were other wickets up for grabs and he never looked himself in the Caribbean.
Well as we all should know Warne not having an exception record in the caribbean is purely down the circumstances rather than WI batsmen dominating him.

In 95 when both Lara & Warne entered that titantic as two young legends in the making Warne bowled very well in that series Lara who played him well but didn't master him (nor the other WI bastmen) in the way Larq had mastered Murali.

In 99 well i discount what happened in that series since Warne was so off it best it wasn't funny after coming back from injury.

2003 well he missed a great chance then to correct his figures statistically & would have definately been the difference between WI winning in Antigua.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Australia shouldnt be worried about their lack of spinners against Inida in the upcoming series where even Warne was ineffective.I will be worried for the ashes though as the lack of variety will make their bowling very one-dimensional.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They're not as good as they were two years ago but they're still the best, I wouldn't mind a decline like that itbt