• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Bangladesh

Howsie

International Captain
Here's how I rate the young fast bowlers:

Hazlewood > Starc > Pattinson > George
James Pattinson is a serious prospect IMO. Obviously you could say the same thing about the other three but from the little I've seen of those four bowlers Pattinson is who I rate the most at this stage. He's got such an effortless action and yet he's constantly in the 140's when I've seen him bowl, very exciting times when you find a bowler like that.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It was a good debut by Pattinson. His figures took a beating in the final over of the match, but he will play on far more accommodating tracks in his career. Pattinson has a very solid base to build from with his easily repeatable action, and I think he showed enough tricks last night to suggest he will take wickets at this level.

It will be interesting to see how the next generation of quicks are introduced into the Test and ODI side. Hazlewood, Starc, Pattinson, George and Cummins all offer something different, and no bowler is clearly superior at this stage. Most important is to keep them all fit.

TumTum

Banned
You talking ODIs or in general?

I only ask because you left Copeland out altogether.
I keep forgetting about him when talking about young bowlers, Cummins too. Copeland clearly the best 4 day bowler atm, but in general it becomes harder to rate them. I'm not sure how good Cummins actually is, but I guess he'll be somewhere at the top.

For me both Pattinson and George have to start getting movement with the ball and improve their lengths, bowling too short and inaccurate atm. Exciting thing about Starc is that he can swing the ball. Hazlewood is very much similar to McGrath. Cummins you can say is the next Brett Lee. And Copeland is like Stuart Clark.

So for me those 3 lead the pack, and the great thing is that they're all different.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Decent batting performance pretty much brings up the only mildly respectable thing for Bangers this series. Always good to see them score runs when it isn't Tamim or Shakib doing all the work. If you had batted like this throughout the series you wouldn't need to hang your head in shame even if you were facing a whitewash.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Like always though its 1 step forward 2 back. Prior to the WC, they were turning into a decent outfit at home who had the attack to be competitive, in the WC their attack was still okish but the batting was amateurish and now the batting is capable of scoring 200+ but incapable of chasing anything and the bowling has gone down the pan. All well and good that Ian Pont was trying to add speed to the Bangladeshi quicks arsenal but they should have focused on putting two balls consecutively in a good area first.

And Imrul Kayes is still a very poor man's Upul Tharanga!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Shafiul and Mortaza were already pretty quick tbh, they just needed something beyond that to be useful at all. Like any semblance of accuracy.

pup11

International Coach
Ok... so on the face of it a 3-0 win looks pretty good and many would say its a job well done by this Aussie unit, but the fact of the matter is the problems that were staring us in the face for a while are still pretty much there.

Its worth noting that we weren't able to bowl out the Bangers even a single time on this tour, which given the way they bat is a pretty poor effort and that just shows where we stand with our bowling resources atm.

The real positives for me to come out of this tour were Ponting's batting and Smith's bowling, both didn't do any earth-shattering things but the confidence with which Punter batted was very refreshing and Smith despite being patchy showed the know-how of bowling on these surfaces which is something we didn't see from either Krezja or Doherty.

We have a long break coming up now and I can't help but think some tough decisions need to be made, as there are question marks over consistentcy of likes of Haddin, Johnson, White and Hastings.

All these cricketers have match-winning capabilities but the problem is that the gulf between their best and worst is pretty big and the fluctuating forms of these players has played a huge part in Australia's form being so up and down over the last 12 to 18 months.

So the thing to decide now is whether we continue with these players or instead invest time in young players like of Wade, Pattinson, Starc, O'Keffe, etc who if nothing else have show signs of consistentcy in their domestic careers so far.

Spark

Global Moderator
I was really impressed with Smith last night tbh. He didn't bowl as well as his figures suggested but he bowled with a lot of flight and a bit of dip. It's good to see.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was really impressed with Smith last night tbh. He didn't bowl as well as his figures suggested but he bowled with a lot of flight and a bit of dip. It's good to see.
There have been a lot of comparisons made Smith and White throughout Smith's career but I really do think he's the opposite of White if anything. White always had more talent with the bat than the ball but his bowling just developed a bit quicker at a young age. Smith's more effective with the bat than the ball at this stage of his career as he knows his game as a batsman a bit better, but his bowling has a lot more potential IMO.