• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in Bangladesh

cameeel

International Captain
Sanz said:
Didn't know ICC Ranking considered the runs made in Pura Cup/County level. :laugh: :laugh:
I'm not talking about ICC Rankings, i'm just saying why Hussey may be regarded so highly anyway, regardless of how many tests he's played, or where he's officially ranked.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody knows what Ponting said, and it's a bit over the top to assume it was anything severe. The most likely thing is that he asked why it was given not out, and they got on the line with the third umpire and realised he'd given it not out because he wasn't sure it hit the bat, when it's not his prerogative to judge that, only whether or not it hit the ground.

You can criticise Ponting for speaking with the umpire if you like, but given that the decision that was given was blatantly wrong and after consulting further it was right, some blame has to be placed on the umpires for stuffing up in the first place. I very much doubt many captains would have said nothing in Ponting's place, and the fact that he did averted a pretty embrassing situation for the umpires, as they would have been giving the wrong decision based entirely on asking the wrong question.

Incidentally, Ponting has been reported by the match referee, so we'll see what happens.

Raymond

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As the above Video Suggests, it seem that Ponting broke the law by arguing after the decision was given and and not sure how many captains would do that.

Is Ponting reported?, any links etc

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Raymond said:
As the above Video Suggests, it seem that Ponting broke the law by arguing after the decision was given and and not sure how many captains would do that.

Is Ponting reported?, any links etc
I think any captain would at least go over there and ask why it was given not out, given that Ponting was fielding close to the bat and knew it was gone. Players generally assume that if it goes to the third umpire it will be judged correctly. We don't know what Ponting said, so we can't really judge how far he went compared to what other captains would have done.

And yes, he's been reported: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/current/story/244619.html

Here's a quote of interest from the article, along with a quote from a law that seems to vindicate him:

Jeff Crowe, the match referee, said that it was understood that Ponting never asked for another referral and neither umpire charged him with the incident. "I understand from the umpires Ricky Ponting never said 'You should go up to the third umpire and do it again'," Crowe was quoted as saying by Fox Sports. "I think he indicated that the word that came from the Bangladesh dressing-room was that he was out and he was just inquisitive as to what went on. But it was not a direct ask that the umpires should review the decision or go upstairs.

"It was a communication problem really," said Crowe. "In fairness, what we had to say that with the referral upstairs, it should have been highlighted what they really wanted. Number three umpire ...... is not the most fluent in English, although he is a very good man and does communicate well, he wasn't sure really about what they wanted at that point.

Last edited:

Raymond

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think any captain would at least go over there and ask why it was given not out, given that Ponting was fielding close to the bat and knew it was gone. Players generally assume that if it goes to the third umpire it will be judged correctly. We don't know what Ponting said, so we can't really judge how far he went compared to what other captains would have done.

And yes, he's been reported: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/current/story/244619.html

Here's a quote of interest from the article, along with a quote from a law that seems to vindicate him:

Jeff Crowe, the match referee, said that it was understood that Ponting never asked for another referral and neither umpire charged him with the incident. "I understand from the umpires Ricky Ponting never said 'You should go up to the third umpire and do it again'," Crowe was quoted as saying by Fox Sports. "I think he indicated that the word that came from the Bangladesh dressing-room was that he was out and he was just inquisitive as to what went on. But it was not a direct ask that the umpires should review the decision or go upstairs.

"It was a communication problem really," said Crowe. "In fairness, what we had to say that with the referral upstairs, it should have been highlighted what they really wanted. Number three umpire ...... is not the most fluent in English, although he is a very good man and does communicate well, he wasn't sure really about what they wanted at that point.
..so the video make him like a villian of sorts , :) :)

It seems things cleared out then, so what is he reported for

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

well if thats the case as i thought initially, Ponting is safe..