• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in Bangladesh

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Incidentally, Ponting has been reported by the match referee, so we'll see what happens.
Right and proper 2, regardless of the situation it is dissent, and I remember Cronje got a fine when he did the same thing a while back.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
"It was a communication problem really," said Crowe. "In fairness, what we had to say that with the referral upstairs, it should have been highlighted what they really wanted. Number three umpire ...... is not the most fluent in English, although he is a very good man and does communicate well, he wasn't sure really about what they wanted at that point.
Unfortunatley it doesn't matter if hes a good man, he should be better trained if he is to officiate in Test matches.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
Unfortunatley it doesn't matter if hes a good man, he should be better trained if he is to officiate in Test matches.
I'd agree with that. The umpires obviously need to be able to communicate clearly with the third umpire, and if they say "did it hit his boot or the ground?" and he hits the green button because he didn't edge it, it's a problem.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Right and proper 2, regardless of the situation it is dissent, and I remember Cronje got a fine when he did the same thing a while back.
2? How many? :p

Seriously though, it depends on what Ponting said. If the umpires didn't see fit to report him for dissent, one would imagine he would get off, but if he said the wrong thing I've got no problem with him being fined. There is room in the game for a polite enquiry of the umpire though, especially when the captain has reason to believe there's a communication issue (as Ponting has heard from the Bangladesh rooms that Aftab was out), so if he went about it in the right way and the umpires have no problem there's no reason to discipline him.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Just a slap on the wrist to say that what you did was wrong in coming over to the umpires again but the origional decision made by the 3rd umpire was also wrong due to a communication error which really shouldn't have happened.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Just watching the highlights of yesterday now, it's good to see Wasim Akram talking bowling with Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson. They could both learn a lot from the great man.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Just watching the highlights of yesterday now, it's good to see Wasim Akram talking bowling with Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson. They could both learn a lot from the great man.
I was going to mention that actually. He spent about half an hour in there before the rain began, and based on his hand movements seemed to be talking about swing bowling. Would be great if Lee could pick up a couple of things from Wasim, particularly about his reverse swing bowling, which isn't all it could be.

Sportsgirl

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mark Cosgrove and Brett Dorey will replace Damien Martyn and Stuart Clark for the three-match one-day series in Bangladesh. Martyn played in the first Test but is returning home due to an elbow injury, while Clark is going back to Sydney to be with his wife for the birth of their child