• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in Bangladesh

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Seems like our fellow posters here a touch too sensitive about Warne here. I will edit my post now. Kinda funny that they miss the actual point, though... :)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't think it's sensitivity, I think it's actually more to do with the sensitivity towards Murali than anything. If anybody happened to make a sly comment about Murali, everybody would jump on you like you shot someone [I don't want to draw racial lines, but it's mainly people from the subcontinent] and yet when people make sly comments about Warne it's seen to be fine. Obviously there's reasons for that, and history blah blah etc but I think it's more a rebuttal on the part of the Australian fans towards the Murali subject more than a sensitivity towards Warne, 'cause he is a bit of a buffoon, and we all know it, they're just a little chuffed at the double standards more than anything.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I don't think it's sensitivity, I think it's actually more to do with the sensitivity towards Murali than anything. If anybody happened to make a sly comment about Murali, everybody would jump on you like you shot someone [I don't want to draw racial lines, but it's mainly people from the subcontinent] and yet when people make sly comments about Warne it's seen to be fine. Obviously there's reasons for that, and history blah blah etc but I think it's more a rebuttal on the part of the Australian fans towards the Murali subject more than a sensitivity towards Warne, 'cause he is a bit of a buffoon, and we all know it, they're just a little chuffed at the double standards more than anything.
but these are not sly comments. It was in response to someone saying that Hoque Jr. should be judged after his showings in Australia and I think Sanz wanted to make the point that even the greats would struggle in certain conditions and as such, it is not fair to judge someone like Hoque (who is not exactly great) based on that aspect alone. I juz gave another example of that and yet, Got_Spin didn't see the point of the post and decided to post that reply. It is about Warne or Murali. It is about saying that Hoque can only be judged after he has played in Australia or something like that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I understood what you meant perfectly, but i was commentating on how its alright to have a bit of fun at Warney but Murali is off limits. Kind of what dontcloseyoureyes said

Oh i see you have edited it :D But i mean just generally.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
but these are not sly comments. It was in response to someone saying that Hoque Jr. should be judged after his showings in Australia and I think Sanz wanted to make the point that even the greats would struggle in certain conditions and as such, it is not fair to judge someone like Hoque (who is not exactly great) based on that aspect alone. I juz gave another example of that and yet, Got_Spin didn't see the point of the post and decided to post that reply. It is about Warne or Murali. It is about saying that Hoque can only be judged after he has played in Australia or something like that.
What I love is from no one even caring how good or bad so and so Bangladesh spinner is, now that they have been ripping through the Australian batting, its come down to "Oh I'd like to see so and so bowl like that on Australian wickets."

Its a credit to Bangladesh, they've gone from "Meh who cares, Australia will belt them on any pitch" to "Meh, Rafique's not that good, his 9 wickets were all luck, and Hoque... well I'd like to see him repeat that at the WACA".

Its a sign of improvement :D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jono said:
What I love is from no one even caring how good or bad so and so Bangladesh spinner is, now that they have been ripping through the Australian batting, its come down to "Oh I'd like to see so and so bowl like that on Australian wickets."

Its a credit to Bangladesh, they've gone from "Meh who cares, Australia will belt them on any pitch" to "Meh, Rafique's not that good, his 9 wickets were all luck, and Hoque... well I'd like to see him repeat that at the WACA".

Its a sign of improvement :D
I was very disappointed with Ponting's comments as well. He said something like "I would love to see how they go in Australia"... Like you can't be a good team without doing well in Australia. It is an almost arrogant comment, at least that is the way it came across to me. It was like "yeah, you ran us close here, but let us see what you do when you come to my backyard". Is it that difficult to recognize that Bangladesh played really well to run them this close? He often sounds like a sore loser, doesn't he, even if he is actually winning.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed it is a great sign and Bangla supporters like me couldn't be happier. I am looking forward to them playing @ Perth and doing well. I am sure they will do well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I was very disappointed with Ponting's comments as well. He said something like "I would love to see how they go in Australia"... Like you can't be a good team without doing well in Australia. It is an almost arrogant comment, at least that is the way it came across to me. It was like "yeah, you ran us close here, but let us see what you do when you come to my backyard". Is it that difficult to recognize that Bangladesh played really well to run them this close? He often sounds like a sore loser, doesn't he, even if he is actually winning.
Way to pick one line out of a whole interview. Did you actually see or read what he said? He spent a few solid minutes at the presentation praising Bangladesh and saying that they batted brilliantly on the first day and that they know their conditions and kept the pressure on, and how much they've improved. Then he said he'd love to see how they would go in Australia.

When you put it in context its far from arrogant.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Way to pick one line out of a whole interview. Did you actually see or read what he said? He spent a few solid minutes at the presentation praising Bangladesh and saying that they batted brilliantly on the first day and that they know their conditions and kept the pressure on, and how much they've improved. Then he said he'd love to see how they would go in Australia.

When you put it in context its far from arrogant.
Shhhh, you're missing the point. 8-)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Here's a couple gems:

Cricinfo.com said:
Brett Lee voiced his concern about the amount of cricket being played by Australia. "I have bowled a trillion overs," Lee said. "I feel like I am running on fumes at the moment. The petrol's gone."
Cricinfo.com said:
He[Ponting] added: "If you had been in our dressing room and seen how fatigued and exhausted some of the players are I think everyone would be quite surprised."

Last edited:

crickmate

U19 12th Man
Arrogant Ponting (February 2005): Bangladesh does not deserve the test status. Its a waste of time playing against them.

Arrogant Ponting (April 2005 before the test match): Maybe I was wrong. Bangladesh deserve the test status. They are improving. But we will see how much they have actually improve in this test match.

Arrogant Ponting (right after the test match): Yeah, they have really played well. But I would love to see how they go in Australia.

This guy is a joke. Never out of excuses. On the other hand a great comment by a great captain:

Steve Waugh: "The positive to come out of it has been Bangladesh. It's been great for them. They'll get so much confidence out of a performance like that. It could well be the turning point for cricket in that country. I think those positives outweigh the negatives for us. This will strengthen world cricket. You're really seeing the birth of a cricketing nation."

Ponting should really learn how to talk or should shut up as Wasim Akram said.

honestbharani said:

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Tip - Stop being a jerk. Read what others have said in the few posts above yours, it doesn`t take long. Not only did Ponting ask how Bangladesh would go in Australia, he praised them for their tremendous play. Both sides. His statement is perfectly valid. As is asking "England did well at home, but how will they go on sub-continental pitches?"

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Tip - Stop being a jerk.
A better tip - Stop defending a jerk.

Ponting just doesn't know where to stop, does he ? Statements like 'oh you played well here but we will see if they can play well @ perth' kind of prove that he still isn't willing to give the respect Bangladesh deserves. It's like Bhajji saying to Ponting,,,'Yeah Ricky I know you can score all over the world, but I will consider you good only if you could score in India'. ;)

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Both sides. His statement is perfectly valid. As is asking "England did well at home, but how will they go on sub-continental pitches?"
It may be valid for England, because England are not minnow, they are claiming themselves as the second best test team. So they have to prove that they can be fairly successful in the subcontinent (which they were).

Bangladesh are still a minnow and steadily improving and to expect them to perform @ the same level @ a particular venue is STUPID. It stinks of his unwillingness to back down from his previous stand on this issue.