• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia A and New Zealand A in India

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia are sending a relatively raw squad, with a few reserves. India and New Zealand have some active internationals. What do you think of these match-ups?

bryce

International Regular
September 2008
Wed 3 - Fri 5
09:30 local, 04:00 GMT 1st unofficial Test - India A v Australia A
M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore

Tue 9 - Thu 11
09:30 local, 04:00 GMT 2nd unofficial Test - India A v Australia A
Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Uppal, Hyderabad

Mon 15
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT Australia A v New Zealand A

Tue 16
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT India A v Australia A

Wed 17
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT India A v New Zealand A

Sun 21
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT India A v New Zealand A
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai

Mon 22
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT Australia A v New Zealand A
India Cement Limited Guru Nanak College Ground, Chennai

Wed 24
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT India A v Australia A

Fri 26
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT TBC v TBC

Sun 28 - Wed 1
09:30 local, 04:00 GMT 1st unofficial Test - India A v New Zealand A
India Cement Limited Guru Nanak College Ground, Chennai

Fri 3 - Mon 6
09:30 local, 04:00 GMT 2nd unofficial Test - India A v New Zealand A

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So we don't actually play India A in a limited overs match? Seems odd.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Just in- Dhawan is injured, and Kohli is in as a replacement. Interesting.

Frankly, Irfan Pathan needs such a series to get back in form, and the team would be a lot stronger with a national team regular. Some action outside playing for India.

Perm

Disappointing for Dhawan, but it will give Virat Kohli more experience and exposure. One players misfortune could be anothers big break.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Doherty picked over Heal. This bit broke my heart.

CricInfo said:
The spin trio of Beau Casson, Bryce McGain and Jason Krejza will also return home after they press their claims for a spot in Australia's Test squad to visit India in October. McGain was the equal leading wicket taker in the FR Cup in 2007-08 but Doherty, who was also at the head of the list, was preferred for his left-arm variety.

"The national selection panel was also keen to have a look at a left-arm orthodox spinner in the one-day makeup and Xavier Doherty is someone that has impressed at interstate level during recent times," Hilditch said. "We look forward to seeing how he performs in the sub-continent."

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Just in- Dhawan is injured, and Kohli is in as a replacement. Interesting.

Frankly, Irfan Pathan needs such a series to get back in form, and the team would be a lot stronger with a national team regular. Some action outside playing for India.
Kohli over Chopra - insane!

AWTA about Pathan. India need to use India A more for out of form players and fringe players - moreso as a India 2nd XI, imo.

pup11

International Coach
For the onedayers tait,white,doherty,geeves in katich,casson,kregja and mcgain out.
I can't really understand this, if Casson is good enough to play test cricket then he should get a chance to play in limited over cricket too, the more exposure he gets the more experience he would gain.

pup11

International Coach
I hope Tait makes a good comeback, it was really courageous of him to put a self-imposed break on himself to sort his problems out, so i wish him all the luck.

bryce

International Regular
So we don't actually play India A in a limited overs match? Seems odd.
Haha I only just noticed that, surely cannot be right. I copied & pasted from Cricinfo lol

EDIT:found correct ones and changed it, bad copying & pasting or cricinfo correction overnight? we may never know...

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Good NZ squad apart from two problems-James Marshall and Reece Young are included. They will never be international class, ever, and they're both mediocre domestic players. James Marshall was at least predictable but Young? He's got to be the worst keeper-batsman in the domestic scene. What the hell is he doing there?

Preffered FC team:

Aaron Redmond
Martin Guptill
Peter Fulton (c)
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
Grant Elliott
Bradley Watling (w)
Bradley Scott
Michael Mason
Iain O'Brien
Brent Arnel/Trent Boult

If we can't at the very least compete with that team I'll be surprised, though it will be very tough facing India at home, and in all probability we'll have Marshall at three.

List A team:

Martin Guptill
Aaron Redmond
Peter Fulton
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
Grant Elliott
Bradley Watling (w)
Bradley Scott
Michael Mason
Jeetan Patel
Brent Arnel/Mark Gillespie

They should be a good side. Though once again we'll have Marshall in there somewhere probably. Disappointed at the lack of Brandon Hiini, who looks like he could challenge Elliott for his spot in the Black Caps if he loses form.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't really understand this, if Casson is good enough to play test cricket then he should get a chance to play in limited over cricket too, the more exposure he gets the more experience he would gain.
If he's not good enough to be in the NSW FRC side, why should he play for Australia A in limited overs?

That being said, there's no way he is test quality, so we can only hope McGain thoroughly outperforms him this summer so we aren't stuck with him in India.

pup11

International Coach
If he's not good enough to be in the NSW FRC side, why should he play for Australia A in limited overs?

That being said, there's no way he is test quality, so we can only hope McGain thoroughly outperforms him this summer so we aren't stuck with him in India.
How much shelf-life does McGain really has now, Casson is raw and unproven, but definitely can give the ball a good rip, and has got a decent wrong'un and flipper too, so that's something that can be worked with (considering the lack of decent spin options in Australian cricket atm).

Perm

BJ Watling isn't a regular keeper is he Phlegm? Kruger van Wyk would've been a better option, and Reece Young is just rubbish. Almost looks worse than Chris Martin at the crease.

bryce

International Regular
BJ Watling isn't a regular keeper is he Phlegm? Kruger van Wyk would've been a better option, and Reece Young is just rubbish. Almost looks worse than Chris Martin at the crease.
Yeah he is, I even play in the same club as him8-) Yeah Young was lucky to make the tour and i'm not sure van Wyk has done all the eligibility criteria. But surely they will use Watling the majority of the time to keep the batting strong, the only benefits Young brings with the bat is in one-day games when there is about five overs left - one of the best reverse sweepers i have seen. I would say they will rotate the top five around a bit with Redmond, Marshall, Guptill, Watling, Fulton, Hay & Broom all decent enough top order players'. Personally Redmond and Marshall are my least preferred, but I think they are the selectors two favourite ha...