• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Asia Cup Thread

Xuhaib

International Coach
Who gives a **** about Asia cup... waste of time.. Good thing he skipped it.
Very happy about Yuvraj getting dropped... hopefully he'll make a come back like Sehwag.

I still don't undertand ARJUN's obsession with Vinay Kumar..... he doesn't look like a international quality bowler.
A last Sachin-Shoaib battle would have been sweet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There was only so long Yuvraj could get away with being ****y, not scoring any runs AND fat.

You can be ****y, you can even be ****y and be a **** batsman, but surely he knew you can't be those two things AND be fat at the same time.

Sehwag learned this. Yuvraj will hopefully pull a Sehwag and come back better.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Why Sachin didn't rest from IPL?Asia cup is an important tournament and without him India will get steamrolled.
not really, for me its of those thousand multi team tourneys every year in which India and Sl take past with different combos.

not really, for me its of those thousand multi team tourneys every year in which India and Sl take past with different combos.
Yep India and Sl play too many of these maningless boring tri series like the one in Bang earlier this year and now the one in Zim.I would say Asia Cup is important though.Maybe third most important for an Asian team after WC and CT.

masterblaster

International Captain
There was only so long Yuvraj could get away with being ****y, not scoring any runs AND fat.

You can be ****y, you can even be ****y and be a **** batsman, but surely he knew you can't be those two things AND be fat at the same time.

Sehwag learned this. Yuvraj will hopefully pull a Sehwag and come back better.
Good riddance. I'm glad they dropped his useless fat ass. As for him pulling a Sehwag and coming back better, he could do it but I doubt it. Sehwag was never so arrogant and he's actually a smart, grounded bloke who obviously wanted to better himself every game.

I doubt Yuvraj has the work ethic or the grounded nature to seriously look at himself in the mirror and work even harder to come back into the squad. The likely result will be that India will get their ass handed to them in the Asia Cup and that one of Virat Kohi, Suresh Raina and Rohit Sharma will fail spectacularly so before you know it the Indian selectors will have no choice but to bring Yuvraj back.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Why doesn't Yuri use this to get his knee re-done. I can't see him improve his fitness until he fixes up his knee. Not sure why you put off surgery for this long. He hasn't been the same player for mine since the injury first appeared. Poor management of his injury is a main reason for his fitness.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
On a Sri Lankan front will be interesting to see who makes the squad after the Zimbabwe series. Will Samarawera and Jayasuriya get another chance? Where will Jayawardene bat? What seamers will make the squad? Will Murali be back?

Hopefully they go for this squad:

Dilshan
Tharanga
Jayawardene
Sangakkara (c)
Chandimal (wk)
Mathews
J Mendis
Suraj
Kulasekara
Malinga
Fernando

Kapugedera
Perera
A Mendis
Thushara

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This Indian selection still has more negatives than positives, and clearly, the selectors are not learning. While Srikkanth made a valid point about fielding and fitness being an area of concern, and thus indirectly suggesting why Yuvraj was left out, he's gone on and picked Praveen Kumar, who's a lot worse than an unfit Yuvraj on the field. In fact, nothing has been said about his fitness. In fact, while Yuvraj needs a kick up his backside, as a columnist said, he can't be dispensed with completely, as he's a far better player than his replacements, and more importantly, he's always played for the team on the field. He doesn't need the oodles of protection that a lot of the current crop of youngsters need, which has hampered the team badly recently. In fact, some of the selections appear to be bought or donated, rather than earned.

There are too many players from that team from the dreadful Zim tour. When none of the players, bar Raina and Rohit, and maybe Ashwin and Vinay, should have been brought back, they've gone on and picked as many as six retentions from there. They don't need any support or grooming. They're not worth it. They're not even good enough. As Bishan Bedi said, this isn't even a B-team.

The selection of pace bowling, naturally, has been an area of concern. The selection of Ashok Dinda is highly questionable, as it suggests there's a severe scarcity of pace bowlers in India. On the contrary, the scarcity is artificial, as the selectors have almost permanently shut the door on so many pacers who have shown a lot more promise and given a lot more to the team than any of the current favourites, who actually need the team to do a lot more for them. The non-selection of all of Irfan, RP Singh, Sreesanth and Ishant suggests the selectors seem done with them. That's not a good thing. In fact, they've axed these players with no proper replacement in sight.

The continued selection of Ravindra Jadeja is also laughable. He's one more of those special boys in an Indian team, who needs to be groomed, and the team has to adjust a great deal so that he can grow as a player- so giving him a cricketing education is more important than winning a game.. Why do they still make this mistake? Why can't an Indian team be full of players who can give it all for the team? He's a very mediocre spinner, a mediocre limited-overs bowler and a dross all-rounder, no better than all of those seam-up all-rounders picked since 2001. To sum it up, he's a poor replacement for Irfan Pathan, and may lose his place a lot sooner. As for Irfan, he's played fewer games post the 2007 World Cup than Jadeja has played at a stretch, and can offer a lot more for India in ODIs than more than half the pacers and all-rounders picked lately.

The lack of proper spinners is another questionable move. We've often seen someone like Mishra or Ashwin lose out on a place in the ODI side because they've opted for part-timers or all-tounders in ODIs. That's compromised on the selection of India's best bowlers. They would do better by playing two proper spinners and leaving the third-seamer duty to someone who can also score runs. They have, however, tried harder with the inclusion of Ashwin and Ojha alongside Harbhajan, though Ojha is an average bowler in ODs at best, and can't bat and has regressed on the field- we're talking ODIs. Ashwin, on the other hand, is a very useful talent, and has it in him to play as a spinner and all-rounder for India for the World Cup, and possibly beyond. They have to make the most of the selection, and give him the chances at seven and as a full spinner.

To sum it up, Chikka has shown some good intent, but the execution is hardly convincing. We've yet to see a full squad or even a full XI for India since 2008 against England. This is a decently strong side, but hardly one that can win a whole tournament.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Who gives a **** about Asia cup... waste of time.. Good thing he skipped it.
Very happy about Yuvraj getting dropped... hopefully he'll make a come back like Sehwag.

I still don't undertand ARJUN's obsession with Vinay Kumar..... he doesn't look like a international quality bowler.
A lot of India's current players have often performed well against Asian teams, but struggled against other opposition, so it is a relatively trivial tournament. However, it's still relatively a premier tournament and a decently strong team should go.

As for Vinay, I can go on and elaborate on his value in the team, but to some it up, he's done well in five domestic seasons and led the attack well, he's got a very good strike rate and decent economy, and is also useful with the bat and on the field. He's a far more promising selection than the likes of Tyagi, Dinda, Umesh, Mithun and even relatively experienced bowlers like Munaf and Praveen. They can't get it wrong with this selection. If you find him too slow, let's not try to apply Australian standards to an Indian selection.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
On a Sri Lankan front will be interesting to see who makes the squad after the Zimbabwe series. Will Samarawera and Jayasuriya get another chance? Where will Jayawardene bat? What seamers will make the squad? Will Murali be back?

There seem to be adequate multi-skilled players in that squad. They've got Matthews, Thissara, Thushara, Kulasekara, and now Jeevan Mendis and maybe Randiv. They can field a strong bowling attack without affecting the batting, and with a fuller batting top six, they'll be a formidable side.

Himannv

International Coach

Dilshan
Tharanga
Jayawardene
Sangakkara (c)
Chandimal (wk)
Mathews
J Mendis
Suraj
Kulasekara
Malinga
Fernando

Kapugedera
Perera
A Mendis
Thushara
Yep, that should be the team I reckon but remains to be seen if the selectors see it that way.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Saurabh Tiwary is a good pick.
Half-decent pick, way too early to be an India regular. He's not got enough domestic or A-team experience, and doesn't appear to be in the same league as Yuvraj or Rohit Sharma. He'll have to be exceptionally successful to be an India regular.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Pakistan announce their 15 man squad.
Malik
Amin
Akhtar
Farhat
Shahzaib
Shafiq
Butt
Afridi
Rehman
Ajmal
Asif
Aamer
Razzaq
Umar Akmal
Kamran Akmal
IMO Playing XI for Pak against SL.

Butt
Shahzaib
Umar
Malik
Afridi
Razzaq
Akmal
Amir
Akhtar
Asif
Ajmal

Lostman

State Captain
SL announce Asia cup squad.

Squad: Kumar Sangakkara (capt & wk), Muttiah Muralitharan (vc), Mahela Jayawardene, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Upul Tharanga, Thilan Samaraweera, Angelo Mathews, Farveez Maharoof, Chamara Kapugedara, Nuwan Kulasekara, Chanaka Welegedara, Lasith Malinga, Suraj Randiv, Rangana Herath, Thilina Kandamby.

No Jayasuriya and Mendis but really happy to see Maharoof back.
would have loved to see chandimal and J.mendis in the squad in place of Kandamby and Samaraweera though.

My XI;
Dilshan
Tharanga
Sanga
Jayawardena
Kapugedera/ Samaraweera
Mathews
Maharoof
Kulasekara
Randiv
Malinga
Murali

R_D

International Debutant
Half-decent pick, way too early to be an India regular. He's not got enough domestic or A-team experience, and doesn't appear to be in the same league as Yuvraj or Rohit Sharma. He'll have to be exceptionally successful to be an India regular.
I wouldn't rate Vinay Kumar too highly based on domestic performances..... ****.. Joginder Sharma was awesome all-rounders few seasons ago.. domestically.... how good he turned out to be..... :laugh:.. Nothing about Vinay Kumar suggests he's going to be a good International quality bowler.... There are some guys.. who are awesome in domestic matches but just don't have the talent to be successful at International level... Vinay Kumar is one of them....

I can't believe i'm going to actually defend the selection of Ravinder Jadeja..... i hate that little prick but he's done nothing wrong at least in One-day format..... he has done a adequate job. He's just useless in T20 and shouldn't be in that team.

R_D

International Debutant
A last Sachin-Shoaib battle would have been sweet.
Yeah i guess that would've only positive of Sachin playing this useless tournament....
Can't wait.... India vs Sri Lanka for the millionth time :D

I don't suppose Sohaib will last longer than Asia cup...... probably be out injured for next 3 months after first 5 overs or so eh ?