• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Arsenal Football Thread Season

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we didn't have such pressing defensive and defensive midfield concerns we really should buy another quality striker to carry the line when Robin's out and have a system ready where we could play both of them when they are fit.

Ryo Miyaichi though.... Don't want to be a fanboy or anything but saw both his Feyenoord games so far and really think the hype with Wellington should be for this guy. Glad it's not though. Looks quality, especially for an 18 year old who just came back from a leg break. Been anointed Ryodinho already, I like it.

Jarquis

Where's the Chamakh love? Happy that robin's proving his doubters wrong though, so many people saying that he's injured so often it's not worth having him. The guy's class and scores goals when he plays it's that simple.

Agree about Miyachi, I've only seen highlights but my Twitter newsfeed is just filled with Arsenal bloggers circle-jerking over him whenever Feyenoord play

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Where's the Chamakh love? Happy that robin's proving his doubters wrong though, so many people saying that he's injured so often it's not worth having him. The guy's class and scores goals when he plays it's that simple.

Agree about Miyachi, I've only seen highlights but my Twitter newsfeed is just filled with Arsenal bloggers circle-jerking over him whenever Feyenoord play
I've never doubted van Persie's playing ability, it's his ability to significantly contribute to a full season which remains in doubt.

Best way I can explain it is this: let's rate RvP as an 85/100 player. In his 6 full seasons to date at Arsenal, he has twice failed to play in more than half the total number of league games, and he's never had a season where he's played more than 28 league games. My argument is that it might be better to get a 80/100 player in who, while not as good as a fully fit van Persie, is more likely to be of greater value to the team due to his ability to play a full season.

Jarquis

Yeah, I agree. But it's not like Wenger has ever willingly left us light up front. A few years ago we had RVP, ****abyor, Eduardo, Bendtner and Vela.
The only issue was when the first 3 all got injured and Bendtner had to lead the line on his own, which he did remarkably well at.
Then when we sold Adebayor and RVP, Eduardo and Bendtner got injured we had to run with Arshavin upfront.
If we just went in with RVP and no conceivably backups it'd be different, but you can't carry 6 frontline strikers in your squad just incase of injuries.

ATM we have Chamakh and Bendtner who are both more than good enough replacements, so we can afford RVP

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I agree. But it's not like Wenger has ever willingly left us light up front. A few years ago we had RVP, ****abyor, Eduardo, Bendtner and Vela.
The only issue was when the first 3 all got injured and Bendtner had to lead the line on his own, which he did remarkably well at.
Then when we sold Adebayor and RVP, Eduardo and Bendtner got injured we had to run with Arshavin upfront.
If we just went in with RVP and no conceivably backups it'd be different, but you can't carry 6 frontline strikers in your squad just incase of injuries.

ATM we have Chamakh and Bendtner who are both more than good enough replacements, so we can afford RVP
Hmmm, dunno tbh. Chamakh and Bendtner are good players to have in the side, but they offer a very different threat to defences than Van Persie, there are always concerns (particularly over Bendtner) that on some days they may just not show up. With Vela now off on loan (and not looking all that convicing when he was picked) there's a distinct lack of depth with encompasses variety, consistency and quality. Don't get me wrong...I'm not really trying to suggest you're incorrect to make the points you do, and I agree that Van Persie (probably) isn't more trouble than he's worth....but honestly, I think he's integral to the side's attacking prowess, and an injury which ruled him out for any significant amount of time (not unlikely I might suggest) would throw a major spanner in the works. Hopefully all will be ok, but I can't help but feel we'd be better off with another option up front. That said, Theo could do a job if neccessary I suppose, but still...

duffer

Said it many times before that the drop off from in desire and proffessionalism from our first string to our second is alarming. Not necessarily the quality but these guys don't show the desire needed to stake a claim in the first team. Not too alarmed though, most big teams struggled against lower league opposition. We should get through handily in the 2nd leg, it means the United game isn't straight after the Barca tie so we can rest the first team after the trip to Spain. Hey Orient even get a nice payday and day out too.

Disappointing to cop the late goal but a very thick silver lining to the result.

edit: Quite liked Miquel too, thought Gibbs was at fault for the goal but Ignasi looks like a good project player.

Last edited:

duffer

Stoke Rugby Club up next though. This one is going to be a nasty nasty game. They will be really wired up for it.

Jarquis

Agree about Miquel, thought he looked good considering it was his debut. Composed on the ball too.
Him and Squillaci with Almunia behind was always likely to cost us though, Gibbs and Miquel should've done better for the goal but FMD Almunia you're an (ex-) Premiership goalkeeper and you're conceding like that.
Chamakh and Bendtner just looked out of sorts but good to see Arshavin working hard again, I've been impressed with him in his last few outings. Seems to have had a change in attitude.
Denilson can gagf.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fixture congestion is what worries me the most, can see it being the cause of a dire turn of events tbh, if past experience is anything to go by anyway.